DIR gears for newly certified daughters......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fredi

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving recreationally for a while,and I've been always very interested by the DIR philosophy.I have always been a minimalist in other areas of my life.Infact I'm in the process of switching my gears to conform to DIR,and can't wait to take the DIR course soon.My two daughters got certfied last week.One is 17 and the other 12.They have always love the water and have been snorkling and freediving with me for years.They do not have any gears yet.They will be taking their Advance OW in October.I plan to take them diving as much as possible till they certify as advance divers in October.I plan to get them gears that are DIR from the very start.I believe in getting it right from the very beginning, so the gears will last them for years.This is my gift to them as a diving father.I'm leaning toward the Halycon BP,27 lbs single tank Pioneer wing. I am also getting them Apex or Scubapro regs.Still researching what mask to get them as they are small size.One is five feet one and the other is about five feet,both weighing less than 115 lbs each.I need help especially from women divers to recommend a good pair of DIR fins.Are the Jet fins too heavy for them or is about right?I know Jet fins are the prefered fins for DIR divers.They wear size three shoes.Any recommendations or comments from any women divers on the Halycon BP and Pioneer wings,or masks ,and fins are most welcome and appreciated.This is gonna cost me big time ,but I'm willing to invest in the right DIR gears for them,so they can grow along with the gears and skills.I also plan to get them to do the DIR course later this year.Thanks in advance.Fredi.

Other manufacturers make different size backplates - my wife is 5' tall, and she cannot wear a normal sized backplate because it digs into her lower back (she uses an O-Pac instead). You might need to investigate "small" backplates (FredT & OxyCheq make this size, probably other manufacturers I'm not aware of). If they grow taller, they can upgrade to a regular sized backplate if they're still diving at the time.

Masks - your daughters really should try these on for fit themselves, same with the fins once they have correctly fitted booties.

Good luck!

Hi Fredi,

I am new to DIR myself, but as a slender woman, I can offer some advice to you on setting your girls up with a DIR rig.

The bp/w system is fantastic, as it allows you to really custom fit the harness. With a traditional BCD, I had a tough time getting it to fit snug; not so with a bp/w. And the beauty of it is, if (or rather when) your daughters grow, they can replace the webbing for less than $10, and still have a well-fitting bp/w.

As for the fins...I've had little to no trouble with the Jet Fins. Just replace the straps with a pair of spring straps, and they will be good to go. I had another pair of fins that weren't as "heavy," but they were bear to kick with on the surface. Once the girls learn proper finning techniques, the Jet Fins will be a breeze (IMO).

Now, I am a huge advocate for the Oceanic Mini Shadow! I have quite the small face, and finding a mask to fit was quite the challenge.

Hope this offers some help...

~Janeane

www.sauedir.com

What she said :icon4:

damiana:
Hi Fredi,

I am new to DIR myself, but as a slender woman, I can offer some advice to you on setting your girls up with a DIR rig.

The bp/w system is fantastic, as it allows you to really custom fit the harness. With a traditional BCD, I had a tough time getting it to fit snug; not so with a bp/w. And the beauty of it is, if (or rather when) your daughters grow, they can replace the webbing for less than $10, and still have a well-fitting bp/w.

As for the fins...I've had little to no trouble with the Jet Fins. Just replace the straps with a pair of spring straps, and they will be good to go. I had another pair of fins that weren't as "heavy," but they were bear to kick with on the surface. Once the girls learn proper finning techniques, the Jet Fins will be a breeze (IMO).

Now, I am a huge advocate for the Oceanic Mini Shadow! I have quite the small face, and finding a mask to fit was quite the challenge.

Hope this offers some help...

~Janeane

www.sauedir.com

Get the normal size backplate that comes with the Halcyon setup. There is no need for different size backplates.

You might want to take a look at the Eclipse wing from Halcyon. It has an outer shell for better abrasion protection. (I have never had a problem with my Pioneer wing anyway.)

Jet fins are they way to go; buy a small or medium pair.

I've let several small women borrow my ScubaPro frameless mask and it fits them fine.

ElectricZombie:
There is no need for different size backplates.
I beg to differ - or rather my wife does. A standard size plate does not fit her torso. We've tried.

Things like masks and fins need to be tried on. You really can't buy someone a mask. Take them to an LDS, and try on every single mask they have and pick the best one. The backplate size depends on their height. You can send FredT an email or PM, he's a member here.

Short torso, short BP, Fred fixed my wife up. Put on a 27# and she opted for a DR harness with the pivots and chest strap. (makes for a better fit) She started right out of OW with her rig and 160 dives later she's still loves it, carib to texas mud holes. As far as fins, like Tek says, try em not only on, but out in the pool! any good blade that fits and is fairly stiff, I have Jets, but prefer the Cressi frogs or even the TUSA blades when not pushing a lot of weight.

tony

scubatexastony:
Short torso, short BP, Fred fixed my wife up. Put on a 27# and she opted for a DR harness with the pivots and chest strap. (makes for a better fit) She started right out of OW with her rig and 160 dives later she's still loves it, carib to texas mud holes. As far as fins, like Tek says, try em not only on, but out in the pool! any good blade that fits and is fairly stiff, I have Jets, but prefer the Cressi frogs or even the TUSA blades when not pushing a lot of weight.

tony

That's all well and good, but let's bear in mind that neither the DR harness (and if I'm not mistaken, the O-Pac) are DIR. This is the DIR forum.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom