GUE-F gear choice: all-in on Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE actual requirements are for single webbing harness etc

So any single webbing bpw should be ok but check with your instructor.

The tec/ cave people I know mostly use apeks regs though some use scubapro or halycon(which are scubapro)

Mask is all about fit, nothing else just fit.

You will pay premium for halycon bpw, is it worth it, shrug, I think so as I have 3 wings others will say no. Do a search here and you will see why some say yes others say no. I believe there regs are less than the same scubapro ones. There lights most I know prefer light monkey but that's up to you in reality you can't wrong with either.

I probably have a dozen DSMBs of different sizes. The Halcyon is far better constructed than all the rest and is my go to DSMB that I ALWAYS have.

Yes, no regrets. My Halcyon SMB is still perfect 7 years later.

I had a couple of other SMB's. I had to throw my first one out because I left shark teeth in the same pocket that I had picked up from a shark dive, and the shark teeth managed to stick in and "bite" holes in my SMB. Doh. At least it was a cheap one. :D

Thanks all for your advices!

I'd speak with your instructor. Halcyon is compatible, but you're paying a premium for it vs other mostly equal offerings, especially in Europe.
I haven't an instructor yet, I'm still in the planning phase, but I've chosen one on GUE website and just sent him a quick mail about this.

I don’t know how Halcyon is in the EU, but here in North America, their service is top notch, and in the unlikely event something isn’t right, they will make it right (even with Santi).
That's one of my main concerns about Halcyon. From what I've read here, their service is great, but I absolutely don't know what it looks like from Europe. Should I have issue with their products, I suppose that it won't be as easy to use their service as if I were based in North America. I've contacted some of their local dealers in France about this concern.

All H will ensure you meet the requirements. Its an expensive way to get there, but its easy. If you've got the cash, no reason not to. If you're more concerned with budget, there are MANY good options out there.
Right now, I feel like Halcyon is a little bit expensive but not a lot more than other brands, and it's definitely in my budget.

You're in Europe. Go with XDeep. That makes more sense and the quality is at the same high level.
Thanks for the advice. I've seen a few XDeep wings on scientific divers on a boat last week. I don't really know this brand but I'll have a look at it.

I recall a recent thread about backup lights, where I mentioned I bought Halcyon Scouts because I was too lazy to run other options past my Cave 1 instructor. The Scouts were silly expensive, but I was busy enough preparing for the course and just didn't want to spend even an hour trying to save money. I'm not sure if this is relevant to the OP, but my thinking with regard to Halcyon gear is that it holds its value well, and if I ever want to sell the Scouts, my wings, or whatever other H-gear, I could probably sell it in minutes.
That's exactly my point. I have the budget for Halcyon stuff, and I've already spent so much time reading reviews, comments, discussions, analyses on diving equipment that I'm not willing to spend a lot more on that right now. I'll still be able to sell them and buy other products in the future if needed. My current thought is that buying everything with Halcyon is a great starting point, in my budget, to get all my stuff GUE/DIR compliant.
Another great advantage is that I can find almost everything with them, so I don't have to choose across several brands / resellers... From wings to bolt snaps, they sell absolutely every single item I need (excepted drysuit and fins...).

Having said that, if you showed up to Fundies with a complete Halcyon Infinity, the Instructor will likely ask you to remove the padding, etc. (My GUE Instructor managed to get me to let him take everything off my Infinity except the back pad in the year prior to my course). :D

That was the only Halcyon gear I had going into Fundies, which had been stripped down to an Eclipse.
I'm still not sure about take the course in a single tank or with doubles, so choosing the right wing is my main issue.
If I take it in doubles, it will be with an Evolve wing, but if I take it in a single tank, I'm still not sure about the Eclipse or the Traveller Pro. It seems that the only difference is that the Eclipse requires a single tank adapter while the Traveller Pro doesn't... so I don't understand why the would ever make a wing for single tank... that requires an additional adapter to use a single tank with it. Or am I missing something?

I probably have a dozen DSMBs of different sizes. The Halcyon is far better constructed than all the rest and is my go to DSMB that I ALWAYS have.
I've read several posts about the quality of their SMB. I'll probably go with them for this item, thanks.

...From wings to bolt snaps, they sell absolutely every single item I need (excepted drysuit and fins...).

For bolt snaps, I love my xDeep NX small bolt snaps for everything (long hose, lights, SPG), and the xDeep double ender for the DSMB plus an extra one on my left D-ring (great for a tank banger u/w or as a mask holder on a boat).

They're so easy to clip/unclip with thick gloves. They would have saved me a lot of attempts when I was practicing for Fundies.

...I'm still not sure about take the course in a single tank or with doubles, so choosing the right wing is my main issue.
If I take it in doubles, it will be with an Evolve wing, but if I take it in a single tank, I'm still not sure about the Eclipse or the Traveller Pro. It seems that the only difference is that the Eclipse requires a single tank adapter while the Traveller Pro doesn't... so I don't understand why the would ever make a wing for single tank... that requires an additional adapter to use a single tank with it. Or am I missing something?...

The bp can be used with a single tank (with an STA) or doubles. You could interchange singles and doubles, but that would require switching them out.

The STA is also great with the 6 lb STA weight inside it. The weight is right over your torso where you will likely need it.

If you got the Traveler Pro and later decided to transition to doubles, you would have to re-buy.
If you already had the bp, you would just buy a doubles wing.

Also make sure that the travel rig has enough lift, and definitely run it by your future instructor. I know my GUE Instructor was not fond of the travel rig when it first came out, and prefers metal and more lift.

If you can afford it, go for it. What's your time and peace of mind worth? Halcyon is probably the easiest, less-stressful choice in this scenario. You pay a little premium, perhaps, but you are getting solid gear that is sorted out, good workmanship, and good pre- and after-sales support. You can always mix and match other components from other manufacturers on a BP/W system so you're never really locked in.

Some Halcyon stuff is competitively priced - my Focus canister light was cheaper than the other alternatives I considered. After going through several dive light options thinking I'd save money not buying the Scout(s), I finally bought them. Their SMBs are great.

I bought my Infinity system early, like a dozen dives in, before I even knew about GUE or DIR. I really didn't know much other than what I researched on my own on BP/W, but I liked the theory and concepts. As a dive newbie, what I liked about it was it was just all sorted out into one box and had a decent manual. I didn't need to do anything other than add trim pouches. There were a few extras that I later stopped using, like the strap padding and Cinch system, but you may find them useful. I'm also admitting that I kept my backpad like Ayisha. :)

The rig is now a doubles rig with the Explorer wing and I transferred many of the leftover parts like the STA and ACB weight pouches over to a second Halcyon backplate that I use for singles diving in cold and warm water.

I recall a recent thread about backup lights, where I mentioned I bought Halcyon Scouts because I was too lazy to run other options past my Cave 1 instructor. The Scouts were silly expensive, but I was busy enough preparing for the course and just didn't want to spend even an hour trying to save money. I'm not sure if this is relevant to the OP, but my thinking with regard to Halcyon gear is that it holds its value well, and if I ever want to sell the Scouts, my wings, or whatever other H-gear, I could probably sell it in minutes.
You didn’t make a mistake. Scouts are good and will last you approximately forever.

...There were a few extras that I later stopped using, like the strap padding and Cinch system, but you may find them useful. I'm also admitting that I kept my backpad like Ayisha. :)

Haha, yup. Ditto for removing the strap padding and Cinch, but also the Integrated weight pockets. But nope, not my back pad. I know it's not necessary, but it's so thin, I'm pretty sure it doesn't add much if any buoyancy. :D

If you’ve got it you’ve got it.
If you've got it, you probably don't waste it (at least if you made it yourself).

I know it's not necessary, but it's so thin, I'm pretty sure it doesn't add much if any buoyancy. :D
Exactly! My actual reason is that on my first set of doubles the retaining bolts were a little long so I kept the back pad to make sure there was a protective layer between the ends of the bolts and the drysuit. I still haven’t gotten around to shortening them and you can just feel them poking into the pad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom