DIR GUE and backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use two full-length Photon Torpedo backups. If I buckle the can light tightly against the backplate, then I can't reach the switch either (the bezel of the backup light perfectly covers the switch protector and is extraordinarily difficult to push aside. If I leave about an inch and a half of webbing between the backplate and the can light, no problem.

Another thing that helped was adjusting the can light hose clamps to sit higher on the canister, which drops the height a bit when mounted on the harness (this also extends the usable length of the canister to trap the long hose a bit better when stowed).

I do just fine with two full length Scout-style backups (in my case, Photon Torpedos).

I got a shorter backup light at one point, and decided I should put it on the side with the light canister due to the issue I kept reading about people having, even though I had never had that issue.

Ironically, it turns out the longer light didn't have a problem because of it's length... it was long enough that it extended down past the switch area of my canister, and never got in the way of it. When I put the shorter light on my harness, it turns out the light ended at precisely the wrong place. That dive, I must have shut off my HID 10-15 times through the course of the dive, every time I moved wrong and the backup light head moved across the top of my canister, flipping the switch. Next time I swapped the two lights and all was well again.

Moral of the story is, find out what actually works for you, don't mess with solutions that are already time-tested just because you read about a couple of people having issues with it on the internet!

I use the Salvo Rat on my right side. I'm a fairly small girl with a much smaller torso (and harness) than most of my male buddies. I don't know why I haven't tried switching it to the left side, but I haven't.

That said, I've never really had much of an issue with it getting in the way of the canister or anything. Obviously, if I'm not careful when I tighten the waist strap, I can catch the Rat between me and the webbing....it makes it uncomfortable (not to mention, it would suck to need to deploy the light in this situation), so I've learned to be much more careful when rigging up.

I do really dislike the way the bolt snap "folds" up against my chest d-ring. I constantly end up snapping my light head or primary second stage to that snap....and it's purely for that reason that I want a smaller light to put on the right and switch the Rat over to the left side.

I use the Salvo Rat on my right side. I'm a fairly small girl with a much smaller torso (and harness) than most of my male buddies. I don't know why I haven't tried switching it to the left side, but I haven't.

That said, I've never really had much of an issue with it getting in the way of the canister or anything. Obviously, if I'm not careful when I tighten the waist strap, I can catch the Rat between me and the webbing....it makes it uncomfortable (not to mention, it would suck to need to deploy the light in this situation), so I've learned to be much more careful when rigging up.

I do really dislike the way the bolt snap "folds" up against my chest d-ring. I constantly end up snapping my light head or primary second stage to that snap....and it's purely for that reason that I want a smaller light to put on the right and switch the Rat over to the left side.

Have you considered "backup light loops"?

BackupLightLoop-LeftSide_IMG_4696-crop%20%28Small%29.jpg

BackupLightLoop-RghtSide_IMG_4695-crop%20%28Small%29.jpg

BackplateWithBackups_IMG_4697-crop%20%28Small%29.jpg

They keep the lights up and out of the way a bit, and are tiny and can't really hurt anything. You'll never get them back in while UW, but that doesn't matter, just clip off the way you would have if you didn't have them, should you deploy your backup for some reason. If they ever failed (not likely) you'd just have your light in the exact same position as you would have without the loops. All upside, no downside. (well, 20 cents worth of bungee downside, perhaps)

Reactions: OTF
ooh, thanks, that might fix a problem i have snapping deco bottles back on!

muchas gracias!

13.Two reserve lights: Reserve lights should be powered by two or three in-line non-rechargeable ccell batteries, with a minimum of protrusions and a single attachment at its rear. The light should be activated and de-activated by twisting the front bezel.

Isn't this requirement kind of out-of-date? Given the large number of very bright LED backup lights out there with more than adequate burn times that use AAs, CR123s or what have you, what is the rationale for specifying C-cells? It's not as if you need the same type batteries so that you can do a battery swap underwater with your buddy. ISTM the requirement should specify burn time and brightness (Lux, CP, or what have you), and leave the battery choice to the individual.

Guy

ooh, thanks, that might fix a problem i have snapping deco bottles back on!

muchas gracias!

If a man does this, it is called, "Fixing a skills problem with an equipment solution."

If a woman does this, it is called, "Accessorizing." :D

Disclaimer: This is a joke. This is only a joke. No bashing of male or female divers is intended. No animals were harmed during the making of this post.

Last edited:
Isn't this requirement kind of out-of-date? Given the large number of very bright LED backup lights out there with more than adequate burn times that use AAs, CR123s or what have you, what is the rationale for specifying C-cells? It's not as if you need the same type batteries so that you can do a battery swap underwater with your buddy. ISTM the requirement should specify burn time and brightness (Lux, CP, or what have you), and leave the battery choice to the individual.

No GUE instructor I have met considers 3 C-cells a requirement for any GUE courses (well, I guess I haven't talked about Tech 3 level courses). You and your team should determine what's necessary for the dive. Sometimes that's 3 C cells, sometimes that's another, equally reliable alternative.

Thinking divers. If the light is reliable, and the power source is reliable, and the form factor works with the rest of the system, I would imagine few people, if any, are going to refuse to dive with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom