DIR Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
what's the stock knife I can buy (looking at LeisurePro website) that would fit nicely into EE DIR knife pouch. I have already read all the DIY suggestions on a trip to Crate & Barrell, so please spare me with this.. I just want to go and get me a real knife that I can use since I don't have time nor the desire to make my own knifes on a sidewalk, and I don't particular get attracted to Betty's knife solution in the first place.

I was look at
http://www.baue.org/images/albums/equipment/waiststrapheight.jpg

What knife is that? Also, whats that little bungee thingie? I have a Halcyon Knife pouch from EE, and it doesn't have that bungee thingie to secure the top of the knife.

Underwater Kinetics Remora knife.

I like the idea of the bungee to hold the knife in place. As you know webbing softens when it gets wet.

Hot nail through the pouch, insert bungee, knots on the back side of the pouch.

I should add, I don't dive a BP wing and I do not personally have a sheath made of webbing.

The hot nail and bungee knots should work never the less.

The knife Halcyon sells with the sheath is an Akona Croqui (sp?). You don't need the bungee loops with the new sheath. The webbing used now is softer than the original webbing.

VTernovski once bubbled...
what's the stock knife I can buy (looking at LeisurePro website) that would fit nicely into EE DIR knife pouch. I have already read all the DIY suggestions on a trip to Crate & Barrell, so please spare me with this.. I just want to go and get me a real knife that I can use since I don't have time nor the desire to make my own knifes on a sidewalk, and I don't particular get attracted to Betty's knife solution in the first place.

I was look at
http://www.baue.org/images/albums/equipment/waiststrapheight.jpg

What knife is that? Also, whats that little bungee thingie? I have a Halcyon Knife pouch from EE, and it doesn't have that bungee thingie to secure the top of the knife.

you mean, Akona "CoQui"? I just went to LeisurePro and tried several of their knifes and none of them fit the Halcyon DIR knife pouch. They didn't have the Akina knife in stock, so I couldn't see it. Most of the knife had the plastic handle too big to get into the pouch, and even with the UK Remora knife, it looked stupid. Only half the blade would go in, leaving another half of the pouch unused, and you clearly needed a bungee with this one, otherwise it would fall out.

I also went to Bath & Beyond in NYC, and looked at the stake and kitchen knifes... those things are expensive! they are pretty pretty much the same price as a good dive knife! Unless you guys getting your knife at a 99cent store, I didn't see any suitable knifes for less than $20.

I think the small oceanic and blue reef knives fit the bill quite nicely

VTernovski once bubbled...
Unless you guys getting your knife at a 99cent store, I didn't see any suitable knifes for less than $20.

They're not suitable for much, but they eat monofiliment, rope and most other nasty linear entanglements.

Hee Hee. Sidewalk knife making... :D I resemble that remark.

K

this is what Halcyon site says:

"Halcyon offers a custom designed knife pocket. This heavy nylon pouch with elastic cord retainer is designed for mounting on the Halcyon Secure Harness waist strap where it severely limits the risk of entanglement from fishing line, kelp, or navigational guidelines. "

My new knife pocket, which I assume is Halcyon (bought from Extreme Exposure) does not have any sort of elastic/bungee cord retainers... what are they talking about? I clearly see on http://www.baue.org/images/albums/equipment/waiststrapheight.jpg the guy has the UK Remora knife with the bungee retainer.... The new knife pocket doesn't fit the Remora knife... and no retainer... Was the design changed or something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom