DIR Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have the halcyon knife and pouch on my BP but changed over to the remora with plastic sheath. The reason i changed was i couldn't stand the small handle on the akona knife for use with drygloves. Also it was darn near impossible to get that little knife back in the sheath once removed. The sheath was made to wrap around the bottom portion of the handle clamping/holding it in place from falling out. I like the remora setup much better than the halcyon setup. It has a nice big handle and is easy to remove and replace in the plastic holder.

Edit: forgot to mention that my pocket was the newer style without the bungee.

ok, I gave up... lol... I realized that I spent more time trying to explain to LeisurePro people (BTW, they have no clue in diving, or the products that they are selling!) what is it that I need, than actually making my own knife.... ok, so I went to Bath & Beyond, and bought a high quality SS serrated edge kitchen knife for $7, then went to nearby hardware store, and for three bucks, they cut it nicely and also smoothed it... it looks freaking professional now! much better than George Irvine's knife! lol.... damn... it feels good too, and I never thought I would be writing this... took me less than 10 minutes to do the whole thing, and that includes walking down the stairs and waiting for an elevator during my lunch hour. Thank you guys!

Hey, I'd be more than happy to run down to my local St. Vinnie's & grab a 10¢ steak knife & break the end off.
I wouldn't be able to charge just a few bucks though, having the DIR tag on it would run the price up by at least $20.:tease:

I'm sticking with my Gerber River Shorty.:wink:

Bob3 once bubbled...
Hey, I'd be more than happy to run down to my local St. Vinnie's & grab a 10¢ steak knife & break the end off.
I wouldn't be able to charge just a few bucks though, having the DIR tag on it would run the price up by at least $20.:tease:

I'm sticking with my Gerber River Shorty.:wink:

I know.... the same thing with those Halcyon rubber htingies that they put on the harness to hold your scout light.... you know those are actually tire rings from your local bycle shop... and you can get the tube for free if you ask them nicelly and then cut them yourself as many as you need, and call it DIR... lol.

That's the one I meant. Some people I know had to shave down the handle to fit their sheath. I went the steak knife route. It had a much better handle than the Akona. The bungee was used in the past and I belive the old knife in the catlalog was an Oceanic knife.

VTernovski once bubbled...
you mean, Akona "CoQui"? I just went to LeisurePro and tried several of their knifes and none of them fit the Halcyon DIR knife pouch. They didn't have the Akina knife in stock, so I couldn't see it. Most of the knife had the plastic handle too big to get into the pouch, and even with the UK Remora knife, it looked stupid. Only half the blade would go in, leaving another half of the pouch unused, and you clearly needed a bungee with this one, otherwise it would fall out.

I also went to Bath & Beyond in NYC, and looked at the stake and kitchen knifes... those things are expensive! they are pretty pretty much the same price as a good dive knife! Unless you guys getting your knife at a 99cent store, I didn't see any suitable knifes for less than $20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom