DIR training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sat Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I have been a commercial diver for several years, and have recently gotten into recreational diving in the last few years since I retired.
I heard about DIR for the first time when I became a member of this forum.
I have to say that I like the concept very much, the little that I have been exposed to on this board.
Contrary to popular belief, commercial, and especially saturation diving is very much a team exercise , and you entrust your life to a host of people who work around the clock to ensure your safety.
I totally subscribe to the concept of team diving, and as such am quite alarmed by some of the things I see when I travel and dive recreationally.
I would love to train and dive with like minded people here in India, but I suspect that there is no such facility here ?
Maybe someday I will get the opportunity . Is there any suggested reading, books or articles that could be recommended ?

Thank you

I adm on my phone so I can't post links, but if you go to the gue website under products I believe there are some books you can download. I have just started reading doing it right. Can't tell you howe our it because I am only two chapters in but so fat so good.

The original book about DIR diving is Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod Jablonski. It's a little dated, but still a good read, especially about equipment. But it also talks about team, and about some of the principles of DIR that aren't much discussed on line, like diver fitness.

There are a couple of good articles on the GUE website, one about equipment and one about the system itself, both written, I believe, by Jarrod. There are also any number of websites by GUE instructors (and UTD instructors) which offer more pragmatic information on procedures and technique -- one of my favorites is Gareth Burrows' site, divedir.com, which has a number of very good articles on it. I also like deepseasherpa.com, done by one of my friends, Don Chennavasin. There are some good video resources for technique, among them the YouTube 5thD-X videos. And, of course, there are dozens and dozens of threads, about classes and about ideas, here on ScubaBoard.

There is, at present, no GUE instructor in India, although there are a number in Asia. But many will travel to do classes, if you can round up enough students (I know Gideon Liew travels a LOT to teach).

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help -- I'm a big advocate of the system, and happy to talk about it to anybody!

Where in India are you located? I am in Goa 1-2 times a year Rec diving

Where in India are you located? I am in Goa 1-2 times a year Rec diving

I work for Stena Offshore as a dive supervisor on the oilfields in Bombay High. I am 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Getting to Goa is no problem. PM me when you plan to get here next.

Will do - looks like Nov for diving (late Aug for normal trip to HYD) - Natrani island with Barracuda Diving.

Venkat is the owner if your looking for something local (Non-DIR they are PADI, in Goa)
barracudadiving AT gmail DOT com

we were trying to get a project together in Chenai this summer for some reef exploration but no luck yet.

I personally think India has vast untapped diving opportunities for both rec and tec.

Will do - looks like Nov for diving (late Aug for normal trip to HYD) - Natrani island with Barracuda Diving.

Venkat is the owner if your looking for something local (Non-DIR they are PADI, in Goa)
barracudadiving AT gmail DOT com

we were trying to get a project together in Chenai this summer for some reef exploration but no luck yet.

I personally think India has vast untapped diving opportunities for both rec and tec.

There is GREAT diving off the south east coast. Some great guys operating from Pondy as well.
The diving off the east coast is far more challenging because of the very strong currents and cyclonic weather patterns that are typical to the Bay of Bengal and the West Andaman sea. which is why the east coast is not that popular with divers.
PM me if you are interested.
I am not allowed to put my name up on internet forums related to diving, because I have a very paranoid employer (the oil and gas industry tends to be like that, even if youve risked your life for them over 20 years), and they have dedicated guys who hang out on forums like offshorediver.com to see if anything about them comes up :crafty:

There is GREAT diving off the south east coast :crafty:

Indeed. And alot of it unexplored

The diving off the east coast is far more challenging because of the very strong currents and cyclonic weather patterns that are typical to the Bay of Bengal and the West Andaman sea. which is why the east coast is not that popular with divers.
:crafty:

Perhaps, but in Pondicherry there is diving 11 months of the year....

I am not allowed to put my name up on internet forums related to diving, because I have a very paranoid employer (the oil and gas industry tends to be like that, even if youve risked your life for them over 20 years), and they have dedicated guys who hang out on forums like offshorediver.com to see if anything about them comes up :crafty:

Hello Sat Diver,
Your employers have good reason to be paranoid as well ;-)
You do understand that DIR means you have to wear a BCD ? Ha ha ha ! BTW Bobbyp10 is the guy to meet in Pondy. He is the Reggae version of DIR.
Still trying to wrap my head around the vision of you doing a reef dive, checking out fish.
Call me when you get back.
"Bombay High"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom