DIR under Technical Diving Specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So...to be clear... I am not arguing for moving it - because I honestly don't know where it would fit better. But I think it's worth discussing the message that the location sends, especially when I read statements such as the following excerpt from GUE's mission statement (emphasis mine):
Working to redefine the ties binding the average underwater enthusiast to underwater explorers, conservationists and scientific researchers GUE is committed to the overall goal of promoting the interests of the underwater world and of those who seek to engage it.​

At the same time, I certainly acknowledge that GUE is not the only representation of DIR and in fact the organization has moved away from using the terminology.

NOTE: I pulled the excerpt from the GUE mission statement at About GUE | Global Underwater Explorers

I would opt for leaving it here for more practical reasons. We already get too much trolling traffic from people who are fundamentally opposed to DIR and therefore ignore the rules for posting in this forum. Moving it to Basic is going to be an invitation to those people to bury any useful information behind a pile of garbage that they heard from their opinionated dive shop owner or their neighbor's cousin or some guy who was offended because somebody in a black drysuit once said something not nice to him.

Way too many people on ScubaBoard can't be content to just play in their own sandbox and let other folks do the same ... and moving this forum to Basic would only invite those people to stir up more crap than they already do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So...to be clear... I am not arguing for moving it - because I honestly don't know where it would fit better. But I think it's worth discussing the message that the location sends, especially when I read statements such as the following excerpt from GUE's mission statement (emphasis mine):
Working to redefine the ties binding the average underwater enthusiast to underwater explorers, conservationists and scientific researchers GUE is committed to the overall goal of promoting the interests of the underwater world and of those who seek to engage it.​

At the same time, I certainly acknowledge that GUE is not the only representation of DIR and in fact the organization has moved away from using the terminology.

NOTE: I pulled the excerpt from the GUE mission statement at About GUE | Global Underwater Explorers

I am assuming you are on the "average enthusiast" end of the spectrum? I'm on the opposite end and here we are :)

Although I understand and empathize with Kate's concern that putting DIR under "technical" in the forums reinforces the idea that the system isn't for recreational divers, I do think there is enough discussion of DIR in the general forums that, if someone is intrigued, they will find this one.

What we need here, I think, is some trip/dive reports from recreational divers using the system and finding it good. We have a few dive reports, but most of them are technical, further reinforcing the idea that that's what the system is for.

We now have DIR style OW courses (e.g. Rec 1) for the novice diver and a growing portion of people that follow this style of diving without the ambition of going tec (includung myself). Therefoe, the DIR forum in the Tec section is somewhat misleading IMO. I cannot assess wheather it is a good idea to keep it here for practical reasons (as Bob pointed out) but from a systematic perspective it should not be classified here, I think.

What we need here, I think, is some trip/dive reports from recreational divers using the system and finding it good. We have a few dive reports, but most of them are technical, further reinforcing the idea that that's what the system is for.

Well later today I am off to Fiji with a group and from gear configuration, mindset and diving style, I think I'll be the only "DIR" diver on the trip, so we'll see how that goes.

I am assuming you are on the "average enthusiast" end of the spectrum? I'm on the opposite end and here we are :)

LOL... I guess depends on how you define "average" - "underwater enthusiast," yes! I'm certainly not on the "explorer" end of the spectrum. I've been diving a while but I only started diving in earnest late 2009. I probably got about 150 dives logged on trips through 2010, which was a little more than the prior decade combined... and those dives were pure vacation diving... in my mind, that is I guess that is closer to how I would define "average enthusiast" than the road I started down this year.

Since I work a normal corporate-type job and live in Atlanta (not exactly known as a destination for exciting salt or freshwater diving) I have to get my diving in the weekends and vacations. Is it "average" to have every weekend (but one) already planned out with dive trips or activities through the first of September?

Is it "average" to travel 5 hours each way at least twice a month to make sure you are doing everything you can to improve your skills?

Is it "average" to realize you need to buy a vehicle to dedicate to scuba travel bc you are putting too many miles on your 7 month-old baby (Mini's rule!) and are going to run it through the warranty in a year and a half if you don't do something different?

I don't feel particularly average when I'm driving home at midnight on those 5 hour road trips- I feel a little nuts, frankly. (still feel like it's all worth it, though!)

As all this relates to the DIR under Technical Specialities topic, I guess where I am coming from is this: My rec or non-dir friends see me as diving more "technical" now bc I "have a tech kit" My issues are that A)it's not a tech kit and B)I want to convey somehow, that the changes that I've made with my diving since the year started, don't have anything to do with the tech training i've been taking (outside of GUE). That they are attributable primarily to the training, mentoring, and just plain information I've gotten from one particular instructor in N Fl, as well as the friendships I've developed with other GUE/UTD divers in the past few months. 85% of my dives are at the rec level...and I simply dive differently now... not just from a trim and buoyancy and propulsion technique perspective, but from a planning, team, and situational awareness perspective. I'm not out there proselytizing, but I do want to people to be clear that DIR concepts aren't just for tech.* I get that the origins are cave/tech, it's just that am currently reaping the benefits in rec. Even if I don't consider myself average.:D

Did that offend anyone? I'm not saying they are coming out of fundies as full-blown DIR, but people can come out of fundies with DIR concepts right? /sarcasm

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/di...d-all-inspiring-trip-reports.html#post5895920

Almost all of the reports in the above link are of recreational "DIR" trips. :) [Granted, I don't think more than a couple were originally posted in the DIR subforum...]

LOL... I guess depends on how you define "average" - "underwater enthusiast," yes! I'm certainly not on the "explorer" end of the spectrum. I've been diving a while but I only started diving in earnest late 2009. I probably got about 150 dives logged on trips through 2010, which was a little more than the prior decade combined... and those dives were pure vacation diving... in my mind, that is I guess that is closer to how I would define "average enthusiast" than the road I started down this year.

Since I work a normal corporate-type job and live in Atlanta (not exactly known as a destination for exciting salt or freshwater diving) I have to get my diving in the weekends and vacations. Is it "average" to have every weekend (but one) already planned out with dive trips or activities through the first of September?

Is it "average" to travel 5 hours each way at least twice a month to make sure you are doing everything you can to improve your skills?

Is it "average" to realize you need to buy a vehicle to dedicate to scuba travel bc you are putting too many miles on your 7 month-old baby (Mini's rule!) and are going to run it through the warranty in a year and a half if you don't do something different?

I don't feel particularly average when I'm driving home at midnight on those 5 hour road trips- I feel a little nuts, frankly. (still feel like it's all worth it, though!)

As all this relates to the DIR under Technical Specialities topic, I guess where I am coming from is this: My rec or non-dir friends see me as diving more "technical" now bc I "have a tech kit" My issues are that A)it's not a tech kit and B)I want to convey somehow, that the changes that I've made with my diving since the year started, don't have anything to do with the tech training i've been taking (outside of GUE). That they are attributable primarily to the training, mentoring, and just plain information I've gotten from one particular instructor in N Fl, as well as the friendships I've developed with other GUE/UTD divers in the past few months. 85% of my dives are at the rec level...and I simply dive differently now... not just from a trim and buoyancy and propulsion technique perspective, but from a planning, team, and situational awareness perspective. I'm not out there proselytizing, but I do want to people to be clear that DIR concepts aren't just for tech.* I get that the origins are cave/tech, it's just that am currently reaping the benefits in rec. Even if I don't consider myself average.:D

Did that offend anyone? I'm not saying they are coming out of fundies as full-blown DIR, but people can come out of fundies with DIR concepts right? /sarcasm

Do you still have room in your garage for a car or is it full of tanks?
Bought a compressor or booster cause you're using so much helium?
How about a boat, got that?

no, no, no for all?

For this forum you're average :p

Do you still have room in your garage for a car or is it full of tanks?
Bought a compressor or booster cause you're using so much helium?
How about a boat, got that?

no, no, no for all?

For this forum you're average :p

OH for THIS forum I'm well below average - or however that should best be said :rofl3:

No helium, no compressors, no boats, no 200 ft dives or caves... :idk: i was trying to make the point that I felt like on the continuum of "average" enthusiast divers I didn't think I was quite average... but that isn't speaking to where I think I am on the continuum of this forum!

Which actually brings me full circle to the point of my original post - the DIR forum (understandably) feels very tech/cave flavored and the rec part sometimes doesn't feel represented. Posts denigrating DIRish newcomers for the mere implication that they might be diving DIR, when they don't have years of experience and project work, don't help the matter.

As I said before, I'm not saying I think the forum should be moved. Lynne's point about more trip reports would help, I think - I've certainly enjoyed the ones that have been posted. And others have mentioned people find this forum regardless of it's location. Which I agree with 111%- I'd just add - I think it's important to remember that people *do* find this forum... and oftentimes, lurk for months before posting. And a lot of those people are probably the ones that are coming from a recreational background. I am a perfect example - I got interested in GUE solely from posts on Scubaboard, never saw or met a soul diving DIR (to my knowledge) before I came to my first class.

I'm enjoying the conversation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom