DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
Not at all. . I was pointing out that there have been a lot of deaths this year that were from experienced divers that got separated from their buddy and never came home. I can only assume that they were either 1) unfamiliar with the risks associated with their activity or 2) familiar with them but felt they 'haven't had problems before'.

I got separated when another diver kicked my reg so hard that the mouthpiece separated. But luckily, I grabbed my Atomics SS1 safe second that I had handily integrated into my jacket-style BC and made it safely to the surface. Another DIW lives to dive another day! Live and let live, my friends.
:flowerkit

Keysdrifter454:
What a stunning lack of regard and comprehension for a diving system that can't help but raise the skills bar throughout the entire recreational dive industry.

Which is another hobbyhorse everyone whines about.

What a stunning troll.

jbd:
I gotta agree with DD. Gue or DIR didn't not create the skills. The skills have been there for years. All GUE/DIR did was clearly state what considered an accecptable level of performance for the skills if you wished to get into technical diving. Specifically they focused alot on bouyancy control skills as it is related to to other basic skills such as mask clearing, regulator recovery and air sharing. For the more technically inclined they added things like shooting a bag.

Really enjoyable, relaxing diving is all about bouyancy control; which is something that should be taught in the OW class. Since its not taught in most courses GUE decided, quite wisely, that they would require you to have real bouyancy control skills before they taught you how to cave dive or do deco dives.:06:

The problem is some people take DIR-F and just becuase they didnt have good boyancy skills before taking it, assume everyone that hasnt yet taken the course must suck as well. Same goes for shooting a bag (for the more technically inclined LOL), I have been shooting bags for years on recreational dives, no DIR no tech training its not that hard is it!!!!!

Yes i probably would learn something from the course, but my skills arent that far off the mark i feel the need.

jbd:
Really can't see why people have so much trouble with this concept :06:
Neither do I

Thats kinda the way I felt too I mean my bouyancy was good, and to tell you the truth thats one aspect of my diving that hasent changed all that much since the class, I dont think anyone could improve their skills greatly in 3 days. I was already diving the gear also , so I wasent sure about spending the $$ to take the class but a few people I knew who had taken the class (and which I trust) told me I would learn a bunch from it so I took it. Thank goodness as the primary thing I learned was teamwork and procedures. I really hadent learned that as I worked my way up the rec dive ladder. If yoiu feel your skills are good enough then I would say dont take the class, I dont think its the "end-all" of diving but it sure is a great start IMO

but most, upon diving w/ a DIR team feel they could probably learn a thing or two from a class (Heck I could learn alot from any class just about).

Another thing that might be hurting DIR (or BDS) is the pass/fail thing. I dont think its a bad Idea but specially for folks who've been diving a while, it might hurt them more to fail than it would a begginer. I dont think failing is possible if you've been diving regularly and have minimum skill, but it depends more on a persons attitude. Obviously this dosent hurt "DIR" but I do think more folks would take the class if it weent pass/fail.

WaterDawg:
Another thing that might be hurting DIR (or BDS) is the pass/fail thing. I dont think its a bad Idea but specially for folks who've been diving a while, it might hurt them more to fail than it would a begginer. I dont think failing is possible if you've been diving regularly and have minimum skill, but it depends more on a persons attitude. Obviously this dosent hurt "DIR" but I do think more folks would take the class if it weent pass/fail.

I hear what you are saying on this point. I guess the catch lies in the fact that DIR-F is a prereq for Tech 1 and Cave 1, so it almost needs to be a way to prequalify those folks unless you made Tech and Cave 1 into two part courses, which would just be the same as DIR-F pass/fail all over again.

I agree, there is a reasone why its like that. I just think that if the option of taking it as a non pass/fail class would be possible (and it might be) it would make it more appeling to more divers. Of course they couldnt go on to the next class before getting evaled

Ah I dont even know why I care, if people cant be told what theyre doing wrong I dont wanna dive w/ em anyways.

The diver who pursues to improve themselves and to make themselves safer and more profficient in their skills. Who is flexible in looking at various methods and techniques and configuration that will lead to self improvement, Who will challenge themselves to advance their personal skills and the skills of those who they will dive with. If they are out to better themselves then they are most certainly on the path to Doing It Right

For the answer to this and other questions go to the DIR forum and be treated like an idiot! Then go to the Hog forum or the Tech forum and have your question answered.

Case in point: look at the answers to the " only one spg" question in the DIR forum . The dir people treated a new to the SB user like @#$%. and when I answered, I got flamed for even being there.

Back
Top Bottom