DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I remember when I first heard about DIR, just over a year ago. As a concise summary was patiently explained to me, I turned incredulous and resistant as I found the it stood for "Doing it right".

I remember feeling an immediate alienation and even resistance, because the name suggested to me that you are either doing it THIS way, or you are doing it wrong. To me it felt like right from the start, the name sets up a conflict, since it suggests there is only DIR or DIW.

I wonder if DIR would more peacefully received by a wider audence if it were named something less provoking...or maybe the provocation is part of the appeal...

DIW is also a Navy acronym. It means Dead-In-Water.
Coincidence or conspiracy?

I don't know anyone who believes that except people who are rabidly anti-DIR for whatever reason. I've never met a DIR diver who feels that way, and the attitude you describe is rare online, and nonexistant on the three major boards, including this one.

It's threads like this that get people riled up. Here's my prediction: DIR guys will come and calmly explain their case, and they will get attacked, called names, and accused of calling everyone else strokes.

Hey Jagfish, the first time you learned there was a company named Dive Rite, did you get that FEELING?

jonnythan:
Hey Jagfish, the first time you learned there was a company named Dive Rite, did you get that FEELING?

LOL...
Honestly, the first time I saw Dive Rite was when I wandered into Fill Express in Lauderdale and I had the overwhelming impression that it was a cheesy name. At the time, it reminded me of late night ads and infomercials with products named "the fantastic, super, _____rite". And no cool logo...

I respect thier products now, but that was my first impression...

jonnythan:
I don't know anyone who believes that except people who are rabidly anti-DIR for whatever reason. I've never met a DIR diver who feels that way, and the attitude you describe is rare online, and nonexistant on the three major boards, including this one.

It's threads like this that get people riled up. Here's my prediction: DIR guys will come and calmly explain their case, and they will get attacked, called names, and accused of calling everyone else strokes.

so true!

jonnythan:

no no... note the spelling difference... 'Right' != 'Rite'

Yes, I think calling it 'Doing it Right' turns some people off.

So if it was Doing It Rite, you would feel better?

Fine, we'll call it Doing It Rite and everyone will be happy!

jonnythan:
So if it was Doing It Rite, you would feel better?

Fine, we'll call it Doing It Rite and everyone will be happy!

Wow... that was easy :wink: <sarcasm>Everyone feel better and less imposed upon?</sarcasm>

Back
Top Bottom