DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Albion:
I get the joke but its bit thin these days
It wasn't a joke... nor was it offered with attitude.

What the folks who are prone to getting riled up don't seem to grasp is that DIR folk really don't give a hoot how you dive.

I'm certainly not trying to get more folks *into the club*.

Uncle Pug:
What the folks who are prone to getting riled up don't seem to grasp is that DIR folk really don't give a hoot how you dive.

Years ago I heard a comment regarding tattoos. I've found it applies so much to so many different areas. "The difference between people with tattoos and people without is that we don't care that you don't have ink".

The name is condescending and arrogant but my main issue with it are the attitude, writings and words of the people up top of the organisation.

Do it this way, everyone else is wrong and going to die basically.

Remove those egos and it maybe less inflammatory.

(I also disagree with the one size fits all idea but thats a different thread).

Not posting any more on here as this will degenerate into a flame war.

Uncle Pug:
It wasn't a joke... nor was it offered with attitude.

I'm certainly not trying to get more folks *into the club*.

Fair enough and ive now been outside for some fresh air and calmed down :wink:

String:
The name is condescending and arrogant but my main issue with it are the attitude, writings and words of the people up top of the organisation.

Do it this way, everyone else is wrong and going to die basically.

Remove those egos and it maybe less inflammatory.

(I also disagree with the one size fits all idea but thats a different thread).

Not posting any more on here as this will degenerate into a flame war.

I should point out that the "organization" is GUE, and George Irvine, the person you seem to be singling out, officially has nothing to do with them AFAIK. You'd never hear a GUE instructor say that sort of thing.

Viscya:
No, the attitude is DIR or your are a stroke. That's it.
Well no. A stroke is, "anyone with an unsafe attitude."

Seems to me that many people who criticize DIR whine about their individual preferences. There is inherent safety in a well thought out diving system that is standardized. My familiarity with the system allows me to spot and cope with my DIR diving buddy's problems underwater.

Seems like the critics I know personally have too much pride to start over in DIRF.

Who cares really?
Do you really ask to see other divers certcards before you dive with them? Would seeing GUE instead of ABCD really have any meaning after your first dive with that buddy?

I think people "get upset" about DIR because they have nothing better to do at work or at home than discuss the smallest details of configuration or procedures until they can get in the water again...

Someone had a tagline along the lines of:
"I dont care if you´re DIR or ****er supreme...

just my 2 bars (which is a whole lot more than your 2 pci :eyebrow: )

grazie42:
Who cares really?
Do you really ask to see other divers certcards before you dive with them? Would seeing GUE instead of ABCD really have any meaning after your first dive with that buddy?

I may not have them show me cert cards, but I do as their experience and training. You should do that with a new buddy even if you aren't DIR.

jagfish:
I remember when I first heard about DIR, just over a year ago. As a concise summary was patiently explained to me, I turned incredulous and resistant as I found the it stood for "Doing it right".

I remember feeling an immediate alienation and even resistance, because the name suggested to me that you are either doing it THIS way, or you are doing it wrong. To me it felt like right from the start, the name sets up a conflict, since it suggests there is only DIR or DIW.

I wonder if DIR would more peacefully received by a wider audence if it were named something less provoking...or maybe the provocation is part of the appeal...

The GUE org. has some top of the line people working for them. I've found them to be honest and helpfull ( Dave and Wendy). It's the elitist divers who get their C-cards that I have a problem with. It's like saying " I payed more for college so I'm smarter". When in reality "elitism is just a group of people that think their better than everyone else"

Don't get me wrong, I'm an elitist about some things also. I'm a registered @#$%^&** and I think most @!@# are lazy ,no good, communists trying to bring down this country. But do I go around , on the internet saying this? NO. Do I go around saying that"I have more respect for my south American house cleaning crew (very hard workers) than I do for lazy American Union workers?NO .I just keep this to myself, because all of those people would be offended.

The point is , if you think being DIR makes you something special, well good for you. Don't try and be my hero because you'll be disappointed.

In conclusion: It's not the dive organazation that matters ,It's the diver. And some divers are going to be better than others, But even bad divers have the right to dive.

NOVADIVER has approved of this message!

Back
Top Bottom