DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figure that if folks are so tender emotionally that they get rattled by a simple acronym then they probably don't have what it takes to be DIR anyway... so actually it works as a pre-sorter to weed out those who would quit half-way through a fundamentals class and sit there bawling on the beach.

Pug, your discretion and timing are second to none. I wish I had your patience.

What patience? I just logged on after being away diving in Canada for three days... saw this and jumped on it. :D

Uncle Pug, I bow to your greatness! You are by far the the King of this web site.

Ha! I was referring more to when you decide *not* to post, instead of when you *do* post :wink:

Uncle Pug:
I figure that if folks are so tender emotionally that they get rattled by a simple acronym then they probably don't have what it takes to be DIR anyway... so actually it works as a pre-sorter to weed out those who would quit half-way through a fundamentals class and sit there bawling on the beach.

That is actually the attitude that riles me. I can accept that DIR and its requirements are a contribution to improving dive standards and equipment configuration. However the whole unless youv'e taken DIR-F you are not a competant diver thing gets me.

I get the joke but its bit thin these days

Im not sure what it is, I think the name MAY have something to do w/ it, Im really starting not to care. I was never threatend by DIR and embrassed it, but maybe because I only had about 60 dives when I first learned of it, and because I heard of it at my LDS by a DIR diver instead of on-line (namely SB).

People say, Ive done X # of dives and havent had any problems or someother lame excuse, thats fine. I dont care, I will dive w/ them. BUT I wont do any dive w/ them and even on easy dives its alot more enjoyable to dive w/ a DIR minded buddy.

If simple letters, or words keep you from learning something usefull, something that can make you safer, the do away w/ them. Call it what evern you want, but its a good system and deserves a look at.

Albion, you may be a fine diver, but I promise DIR-F will still kick your butt and make you realize how good you really *aren't*.

DIR Schmee-EYE-Are.

You can have my split fins, 6 window mask, airsource, 4 gauge console and Dacor jacket BC when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

Nobody's telling me how to dive.

WaterDawg:
People say, Ive done X # of dives and havent had any problems or someother lame excuse, thats fine.

You see that a lot. And this year has been pretty heavy on the references in the nature of "On the ascent, XXX lost site of his buddy. 30 minutes later YYY was found on the bottom and pronounced DOA at the hospital. YYY has been diving for years and was a very experienced diver."

Now of course everyone will want to twist my words and say that I'm implying you will all die. I'm just saying that it only takes one time. I've done a lot of stupid things in my lifetime [and still do], but I try to at least stack the deck in my favor as much as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom