DIR: Yellow Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebouy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. As you can see, I am new to the board and will be taking the DIR-F class in May. I just bought the ATX200 and saw that LP finally got a shipment of Apeks octos in. Is there a preference on which oct to buy, ATX 50 or 40? Is it non-DIR if I left the octo and hose yellow or would it be more correct to try to buy a new hose and cover for it? Not sure if this has been covered in another thread, but I didn't see it anywhere else. Thanks in advance to all replys. :embarass:

Greetings Divebouy and welcome to ScubaBoard. You will need a different hose for your bungee'd back up regulator anyway since the yellow one is a standard length octo hose and is too long.

I use an Apek T20 as a necklaced reg on one of my rigs and it has the yellow face plate. If I thought it was a problem I would just take a black permanent marker to it.

If you're really worried about the yellow faceplate being around your neck - the faceplates on all of the ATX series second stages are interchangeable - just switch it with the ATX200. You can even pop the purge buttons out and swap them so that the ATX200 still says ATX200 :)

In reality it doesn't matter - I used to have the same concern when I switched to the DIR hose configuration.

I would switch everything to black if it were me. I could see how someone unfamiliar with your setup might try to grab your backup reg in an OOG situation if it were yellow.

Black also looks cooler. lol :happywave

ElectricZombie:
I would switch everything to black if it were me. I could see how someone unfamiliar with your setup might try to grab your backup reg in an OOG situation if it were yellow.

Black also looks cooler. lol :happywave

Precisely why I put the yellow reg on the end of my primary hose.

It's not an issue. Move the yellow faceplate to the primary reg if you're worried about it and switch the stickers.

Anybody have an orange hose? LP sells them, and I was toying with the idea of replacing my yellow hose with something less... garish.

OK newbie question here.....

How do you pop the faceplate off the atx regs. I played with mine some last night, but gave up, afraid I would break it.

Tony.

I had my primary - with yellow faceplate - on the end of a 5' yellow hose. Figured I might as well get something bright and happy, and make my primary reg more visible. I kinda figured out that making the primary more visible wasn't necessary, and the long yellow hose looked pretty dumb. I upgraded to a 7' hose, and went to black.

The face plate should just spin off. They usualy come quite tight however.

Yes, it just spins on. Sometimes they are tough to get started the first time. There are tools you can buy that will act like a wrench on the faceplate.

However, and I'm not actually recommending you do this, I use the head of a nail through one of the holes on the faceplate to make a handle. If you decide to try this, just be careful you don't tear your diaphram.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom