DIRF Course Report March 22-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Before I completed Fundies, I found the various course reports posted on SB to be very useful in terms of preparing for the course. Now is my turn to "give back a little".

Without a doubt, the DIRF class was the single most valuable diving course I have ever taken, up to and including my instructor certification. It has absolutely changed the way in which I now dive, will dive, and teach. Their is a lot of information presented in a challenging and demanding environment, however, if one keeps their head down and prepares a bit, you should come out of it okay.

Doc Intrepdid told me that Fundies is all about "simple skills done with precision" and that pretty much sums it up. None of the skills are particularly complicated in and of themselves, however, until you start to work together as a team underwater, simple task loading makes simple skills become nearly overwhelming at times. I am an ex-military member and have long played team sports so the team concept was not new to me. However, I have never seen it applied to diving. This was probably the most valuable lesson for me during the entire course. In my head, I could understand how valuable diving as a team could be, but it wasn't until dive 4 or 5, where our team started to really come together that I actually started to appreciate what three divers working together could actually achieve. Task loading became more easily dealt with as three people become more "switched on" and started to be able to expand their awareness to take into consideration environmental issues, such as our crappy viz and some ignorant swirling currents. Team members became less "task loaded" with one particular drill and were able to also hold position, help out team members and keep an eye out for our instructor, Dan MacKay floating somewhere and everywhere around us.

Day one consisted of introductions, a lot of bookwork, presentations, video, etc. The topics were varied and interesting and presented in a clear and concise manner. I have never attended a course where an instructor had such an obvious command of the subject. We hit the pool that evening for our swim test and some demonstrations and practise with the various propulsion techniques. This was very valuable as it let us build up the beginning of some muscle memory.

Day two consisted of more book work and briefing for what we would do in the water. Our first dive was a real cluster #$&@! We looked like a bunch of bowling pins underwater. We had no team cohesiveness and we all emerged from the water feeling pretty depressed. There were three OWI's on the course and one OWI in training. The other two students were also at least DM qualified I believe. I think I can say for all of us that it was a truly humbling experience.

Dive two on that day seemed to go a lot better. Of course what it looked like is another matter but we emerged feeling a hell of a lot better than we had after the first dive. Our team worked a little better together and we pulled off our individual skills portions in a fairly decent manner. I think we even kept the ascent line in view for most of the ascent....

The third day was "hump day" where we were expected to demonstrate some of the more complex skills, like valve drills, etc. Both teams were doing the course in double tanks and most of us had primary lights so it was a bit more complicated and the standards were a little tighter. The dive on this day didn't go too bad save for the fact that I managed to hoover through too much of my gas and this prohibited our team from doing a 2nd dive that day. I would like to think that my team member Allan sucked up about 1000psi on the 30' shared air ascent where I was the donor, but we all know that would be a lie......

Day 4 was crunch day. We had demonstrated s-drills and valve drills on day 3 but we all knew we would have to tighten them up a lot to meet standards. On the first dive our mask-less swim went pretty good except that Dan said I wasn't really swimming and was actually just towed along by my team. "Heh Dan, the standards said to demonstrate a comfortable demeanor so what could be more comfortable?":D I guess my modified frog kicks were so modified no one could even see them. Our SMB deployment went fine, that is until we tried to all ascend and reel them in at the same time. Dan was roaring with laughter on the surface as we found ourselves unwrapping each others lines from around various parts of our bodies. Line truly is evil.

The last dive of Day 4 was the "show me" dive. We had to really have our &%$# together for this one and I gotta say that our captain on this dive (the same young guy I blamed for sucking all my air on day three:eyebrow:) really came up golden. He really stepped up and shone. He was the youngest of all 6 students and he performed admirably under stress. Hats off to you Allan. We all made it through our drills and
demo'd some helicopter kicks and backkicks for Dan. They sucked but thanks to a strong current in our face I think we all moved backwards:D.

In the end, we were pretty tired as the adrenalin rush which had sustained us for 4 days started to fade. All in all a truly excellent course of instruction from an instructor (Dan MacKay) who is a dedicated and skilled instructor who really cares that his students excell. Thanks from all of us Dan.
As for advice for prospective DIRF students, I offer the following suggestions:
1) Find your local DIR community and start diving with them. Do it now. Don't wait until a week before your course. I met one of the more active DIR divers and he was more than generous with his time and skills (Thanks Mark) and it is for this reason alone that I felt even a little prepared for the water skills. I can't imagine how I would have fared if I had not done this prior to fundies.
2) Follow the DIR gear requirements to a "t" and have at least 10 dives with the equipment you are going to use in the class. Do not add anything new or experiment with it during the class. This is not the time to add additional task loading.
3)Once you find out who is on your team, start doing everything together (within reason) for the time of the course. Spend as much time "dirt diving" your drills as you can. Do it verbally and physically. Actually go through all the motions of what you are going to do. You "train like you fight" and you "fight like you train".
4) Try to relax if you can. Remember, the skills and knowledge you will gain are there regardless of pass or fail. You are entering a "process" which has no end and you are on a continum of skill development. Like Dan states, "you are where you are" and you need to recognize this so that you can understand what you need to do to get to where you want to go.

Course result: Tech pass (no the work starts for preparing for Tech 1)

Heh Bjorn and Jeremy, why don't you do up a course report also?

See you guys in the water.

Guy

Very good report! Thanks for sharing and congratulations! :)

What Guy happened to conveniently leave out of his report is that he got himself the designation as the most put together guy. There were a couple of 'middle of the road' tech passes, 3 skin of the teeth tech passes and 1 Rec pass!!!

Everyone passed and everyone at some point did a back kick where they moved at least a bit backwards. Apparently that is some kind of record and I believe Dan mentioned that "As a team you guys did great... of course individually you still sucked" :)

I'm working on the course report now (shhh don't tell) Here is my day one:

Day 1:
8am - started at the shop, met Dan Mackay, started chatting about the course. We found out that we would not have access to the pool until 9:30 pm(!) which meant we wouldn't be home until 11 pm
However, we did get a whole lot of time to go over course materials which was a very good thing.
We spent some time going over the gear and adjusting back plates, came to realize just how poor some suits fit, or even that our stuff didn't actually fit all that bad (I'm a standard, off the rack, tall. It helps).
Dan went to use me as an example, I got in my suit first and once I had my backplate on he said "You're not a good example. Your stuff doesn't fit half bad." Getting a 'not half bad' is about all you can really hope for in fundies so this was excellent :D
Then came the pool:
In short, I sucked in the pool. I knew that I would up front and needed 3 tries to complete the breath hold swim. Never have been good in the pool. However, everyone was very encouraging and I don't think I could have finished without their help. Especially one diver stood out and even as I struggled I realized that we were all in this together. It helped me suck it up and push on to get it done.
Then we got to practicing kicks and Dan took each of us aside to explain how we looked like 'dogs trying to **** a football'. Good times all around :)
I did leave with an understanding of _how_ a backwards kick should look, even if I hardly ever went backwards.

Day one Summary: I survived. We had a 15 hour day and I found that I did not sleep well...

Day 2:
8 am - met at the shop and went over additional class work and talked about the upcoming dives. We got split into teams and team captains (TC) were assigned. Before heading to the dive site we practiced the formation for drills in the back hallway and tried to not "do something stupid, die, and look like a dork". Dying is fine, but looking like a dork is very much frowned upon (all that rule 6 business you know)

Dive 1 should have been fairly easy:

* GUE pre dive

* Descend as a group
* Basic propulsion practice around a square (10 x 10 m) using frog, modified frog, and modified flutter in diamond formation
* Ascent with a stop at 15 feet for 1 minute

Things this simple aren't when you are dealing with a new group. I completely missed the 15 foot stop and overcompensated. I tried to change to only using my back dump to vent the wing. This was a mistake. Use whatever method you are most comfortable with. The last thing anyone needs infundies is _more_ task loading.
At one point Dan indicated for us to form up and swim, and one diver decided to stay behind and let the other two swim ahead. Not good and it took me one full length of the square to realize we were missing a team member and swim up and stop the TC (I didn't have a canister light, the one I was going to use broke 2 days before the course so I has to shake his leg to get his attention and make him stop). I struggled with my tanks until I got Dans attention, asked him to hold, and adjusted my waist belt. The previous crotch strap adjustment was not spot on and I needed to get the damn floaty AL80 doubles to stay closer to my back (I was the only one not in steel doubles, budget reasons).

When we hit the surface Dan asked us how we felt that went. I believe I replied with "I'm sorry, I completely ****ed up the descent" to which I received a calm "Yup, I'll buy that" from Dan :)
Lessons learned:

1. Working as a team is not easy.
2. We all wanted to play leader at certain times. Often this is inappropriate but sometimes it is. For instance, upon our return to theupline the TC indicated to me to do the "Basic 5". I knew this was not supposed to happen until the next dive so I waved him off and thumbed the dive. But at other times we got ahead of the TC and indicated skills before he called for them
3. We suck. No really none of us felt like we had it together. I missed the descent, TC else missed the ascent, Diver 2 missed staying with the team. Much to learn and improve

Needless to say we were not exactly looking forward to dive 2 as we were rather disgusted by our performance.

Dive 2 below...

Bismark:
Heh Bjorn, I could have sworn that square was 200 meters square.....:)

Guy: Just because you breathed enough to have made it 200 meters, doesn't mean it was 200 meters :eyebrow:

I need to go back and fix day 1, day 2 and three will be up soon.

Day 2 Dive 2 involved more skills:

* GUE pre dive (always)
* Descend (as a group is now implied) and hold a 15 foot stop
* More fining technique
* Basic 5
o Remove & replace reg
o Swap reg
o Mod S
o Mask flood & clear
o Mask removal & replacement.
* Ascend with stop (I don't remember if it was one or two stops)

We floundered around a bit on the descent but made more of an honest effort to stay together. This time I managed to stay at 15 feet while the TC dropped like a rock and Diver 2 got a touch floaty. Given that the team was split around me I gave up and waited for one of the two of them to get back towards the center (i.e. the theoretical 15 foot stop). Eventually we all got to the bottom and had a minor CF as we tried to get sorted on the line to do drills. Things went not too bad until myinflator started seriously bubbling. Diver 2 tried to help, found that the nipple was loose. Despite working to tighten it, and Dan coming over to lend a hand, it wasFUBAR'd and I had to unhook it. This failure did add a bit of stress to my dive (we were all trying to do well of course) and when it came to the Basic 5 I shook off skill 5, the mask removal. I was working hard, breathing hard and did not want the extra stress. Dan was cool and mentioned that I didn't look to bad on the first 4 skills but given that I had a failure he did not dwell on my skipping one skill.

I was rather mad at myself for not just sucking it up and getting it done. I wanted to drop back down with Diver 2 as we were swimming back and practice to ensure that I could do it but this was a no go with Dan, he told us to get out and tear down.

He called our dive "not half bad" and mentioned that "Well you all made it back alive" which we took as high praise given that we felt that we actually worked together during parts of that dive. While still not happy, we were pleased that we were starting to 'gel' into a team and could each feel progress in how we worked together. Some measurable progress was made by our team. As Team2 headed in, we I heard Dan say "Ah there are my Horsemen of the Apocalypse".

I must admit that I did not feel left out given that we did not have nickname for our team at this point.

When they finished we headed back to the shop for a debrief and so that Dan could give us our homework assignment.

Day 2 summary: Tired, physically not feeling well, but I didn't die. I even got parts of my home work done but by 9:30 pm my brain shut down. I ended up actually sleeping a bit better.

Wondered how this course went, thanks for reporting in. Humbling isn't it:D

Awesome reports, thanks for sharing.

I agree, these reports are really helpful in terms of giving those of us yet to take fundies (my class is four weeks away . . . :11: ) a preview of what to expect.

Congrats to you all!

Heh Bjorn, it is pretty cool to read your course reports as I was on the other team and we only heard the occasional blip about how your work was going. "What goes on underwater stays underwater....... " unless you hear it from the other guy. One thing that happened to us was as we were doing drills around the SMB line, some other rec diver who was just out for a swim (I guess) swam down are ascent line and was trying to get our attention to see if we were okay. I just about laughed out my reg: here was our team hovering about 3 feet from the bottom in pretty good trim (okay Dan was above us lurking somewhere) and we were clearly in control doing something which must have looked complex while we were all wearing double tanks, and this dude in bright green fins and more crap hanging off his vest bcd than most dive shops have hanging on walls, while kicking vertically to stay off the bottom, is task loaded just asking us if we were okay. I didn't know the sign for "you gotta be kidding" so I gave him the okay and he moved away somewhere. That was pretty funny. And no I wasn't narced........:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom