DIRF preparation questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
OK, so I have decided I want to take the DIRF course. The more I read, the more I believe it meshes perfectly with my diving goals and aspirations. I have spent the last while using the fantastic search function on this board for getting as much information as I can from people who have taken the course. Here are some additional questions I have:

1.) I have ordered the Fundamentals of Better Diving book, is there anything else I should look at reading

2.) I dive single tanks in a recreational environment, I see that the course prerequisites include having a primary reel of at least 300', a secondary reel of at least 100' and a lift bag. What lift bag or configuration is a good selection and are these items I should purchase and use before hand or just show up and learn how to use them?

3.) Any in-water drills or physical fitness preparation (other than the typical cardio/weight lifting that I already do) I should make sure I work on prior to the course?

4.) I see that no "split-fins" are allowed, how would Force Fins work? I have not found any reference to whether or not you can do the required exercises in these (my buddy uses them).

5.) I do not own a cannister light, I have a UK C-8 as my primary and a mask light back-up at this time. I realize that the ultimate set-up is the cannister and a C-cell back-up but do I need either of these for the course?

6.) Currently as a primary OW, single tank diver (with the desire to advance as skills dictate), should I be looking at a 5' or 7' hose (how come I never hear of a 6' hose?).

Thanks in advance for the advise, I am a strong proponent of research and preparation especially when it concerns learning new skills and personal safety. Any other advise and tips would be much appreciated.

You are taking a DIRF course with these requirements?

When I took the course, there were no such 'requirements'

1) Read some of the old posts on the board, I will post the links for you once I dig them up.

2) We did learn the proper use of a liftbag in class. A 50' spool was sufficient. It wouldnt hurt you to practice some beforehand, but it will be demonstrated in class.

3) Two most important in water skills are making sure you keep track and stay close to your buddy at all times, and maintain your trim and bouyancy. You will be shown this also.

4) We were allowed to use any type of fin we wanted. However certain types of fins dont work well with all of the new kicks you will be learning, and will detract from your experience.

5) No.

6) Yes. 7' hose is preferred. 5' is acceptable for recreational single tank diving. 6' is a harder to find size and is a little to short to tuck under a cannister light and a little to long to just dangle freely.

I looked up the GUE requirements/course description details on their website. The equipment requirements stated, no split fins, long-hose are the only requirements. But...they went on to say that lift bag drills would be done. I continued looking and later saw the requirements for the reels used in GUE courses or are these just in more advanced courses? I also saw the videos of the lift bag and secondary reels which were skills taught in the DIRF so I want to be sure I'm on the right page. As far as the lights go, all I have ever read on the DIR set-up is primary=cannister, secondary="Scout" or equivalent. I realize that I don't need to show-up with these for the course but have read anything ever stating what lights if any to show-up with or if lights are even needed. I think this is what you were asking

The DIRF course is just the fundamentals course. You get an introduction to DIR diving in it, and unless requirements have changed, the only requirement is a long (5 or 7 foot) hose.

Some of the other things that you mentioned sound like the requirements for the actual certification courses like Tech I or Cave I.

Perhaps MHK or someone with more current knowledge on standards could chime in on this one?

Oh, and lights were not required at all for our course. I would advise however, that you show up with your standard rig, as part of the process of the class is going over gear setup and the pro's and con's of each individual diver's gear. It is a very enlightening session. Do not be overly concerned with going into the class "DIR Prepped".

One final note: It is much better to dive with your "usual" rig that you are comfortable with, than trying to learn all of these skills in a new setup that you havent had time to practice with. It can make quite a difference as illustrated in my trip report.

This is copied off the GUE site under Fundamental
2.1.10 Equipment Requirements

Each student should have, and be familiar with, all of the following required equipment.

Tanks/Cylinders: Students may use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first stages. Students may also use a single tank/cylinder with a K, H, or Y valve.
Regulators: One of the second stages must be on a 5- to 7-foot/1.5- to 2-meter hose. One of the first stages must supply a pressure gauge and provide inflation for a dry suit (where applicable).
Buoyancy Compensators: Back-mounted wings, mated with a harness and back plate are recommended
At least one depth-measuring device
Decompression tables
Mask and fins (fins must be of the non-split variety)
At least one cutting device
Underwater slate or Wet Notes
One reel/spool, with 100 feet/30 meters of line per diver
One primary reel per team, with a minimum of 300 feet/90 meters of line
Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure
Note: Prior to the commencement of class, students should consult with a GUE representative to verify equipment requirements. All participants are responsible for providing all equipment or for making provisions to secure all necessary equipment before the start of the course. In general, it is better for the student to learn while using his or her own equipment. However, students should exercise caution before purchasing new equipment. To avoid acquiring substandard equipment, please contact a GUE representative prior to making any purchases. Information about recommended equipment can be obtained from the equipment considerations section of GUE’s web site.

I've also read else where that you didn't REALLY need anything other than the long hose and bungeed backup. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

ABQdiver once bubbled...
I've also read else where that you didn't REALLY need anything other than the long hose and bungeed backup. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

This is from the 5th Dimension DIRF Class

Guidelines & Requirements
All dives are to maintain a working PO2 of no greater than 1.4
No Decompression dives, with the average depth during class of 20 - 30 ft.
No Deco or Stage bottle needed
Air or Nitrox
Single or Double tank configuration
Long hose primary, and necklace style backup regulator hose configuration
Instructor to student ratio maximum 6:1 in open water, adjusting downward for environmental conditions.

long hose, bungeed backup, no splits. That's it as far as I know. As for using force fins, there's no rule because I doubt anyone ever tried it. After you try it they'll write the rule :)

WW

The reg configuration is required.

The SPG is required.

No split fins were required by my instructor.

We all had the other equipment, so this was not an issue.

A can light is not required. I did most of the course with mine clipped off.

My DIRF instructor said that he would teach DIRF to people in poodle jackets so long as they were prepared to discuss alternative configurations.

Three things. First, do your course in the gear you are used to diving. I did mine in borrowed doubles (mine were still on order) and it was sheer h***. I didn't have nearly the experience to handle the course properly. Now I'm ready and will be signing up for another round.

Second, the course emphasizes buddy skills. This means that you help your buddy if they need it. You prevent them from blowing to the surface, hitting the bottom or having other issues. They won't tell you this until after the drills.

Third, while the course is a real ego slam, it is worth every minute.

Today was our last day of our DIR-F class. The only requirement Mike Kane asked for was a 7' hose. My suggestion would be to first talk to your instructor and see what his or her individual requirement would be for the class. I would also suggest getting a good set of Jet or Turtle fins because the kicks are an important of the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom