DIRF preparation questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few comments on hose length --

As C-D mentioned above, I took DIRF recently (August 2002). I am a single tank rec diver.

The right hose length depends to some extent on your own rig and body type/size as well as personal preference. Bottom line, you want something that's as streamlined as possible, yet comfortable and easy to deploy in an air share situation. As a single tank diver with no canister light (I don't use a canister light either), you have a couple of choices.

(1) A shorter (5 or 6') hose routed from the first stage directly under your right arm, across the front of your chest, around the back of your head and into your mouth. This is the simplest and most streamlined routing, but some folks find the 5 footer too short, while the 6 footer may have too much slack.

(2) A longer (6 or 7') hose routed from the first stage down to your right hip before passing across your chest and behond your head. When the hose reaches your hip, it is held in place by (a) looping around a canister light, (b) looping around a pocket or knife on your waist belt, or (c) the excess hose is tucked into your waist belt.

Bottom line, you need to "try on" a few of the sizes to see if they work for you. To avoid spending a lot of money, the simplest solution would be to buy a 7 footer, since you can always tuck the extra slack into your waist belt -- you will get advice on this during the course.

A few other comments on preparedness:
(1) Reading -- the class reports posted on this board are a great way to know what to expect.

(2) Spool/Reel -- there was no time spent in my course on reel work. Spool/lift bag were optional, and to be honest, we did not have much time to use them. I bought a spool for the course and never took it out of my bag.

(3) Physical training -- cardio work is obviously good, especially swimming. If you are not flexible, you might want to spend time working on stretching out your back or on back strengthening exercises in the time leading up to the course -- you will be arching your back A LOT during the course.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

-LD

boomx5 once bubbled...
Today was our last day of our DIR-F class. The only requirement Mike Kane asked for was a 7' hose. My suggestion would be to first talk to your instructor and see what his or her individual requirement would be for the class. I would also suggest getting a good set of Jet or Turtle fins because the kicks are an important of the class.

Make sure to post us a class report.:D

Get them to drill you on shooting markers at least once if possible. Unless you're caving exclusively, shooting a bag is very good skill to have, at least IMHO.

For that, you'll need an SMB or liftbag and a 100' spool.

BTW, the 7' hose is awkward if you don't have a canister or a knife sheath to loop it around. Otherwise, you'll have to stuff it inside your harness waistband, and that can get old during drills.

Don't dump the 7' hose, though; get a knife sheath for it.

I took the DIR-F class last July as a newly-certified OW diver. The instructors were Anrew G, Mike Kane and Dan McKay. Here's my take:

1. You don't need any other book than the Fundamentals book. Do look at the videos at the fifthd.com site, as I think you already have. The videos show the skills you will be asked to perform, although our class did not shoot any bags.

2. It seems some classes have time to practice using spools and bags, and some don't. You won't need a reel. If you don't have the equipment, you just won't be doing those skills. The other drills and skills are higher on the class "to do" list anyways. If you buy a bag, get an open circuit bag (one with an opening at the bottom) because as a single tank diver, you're going to have to fill it using your regulator. A closed circuit bag gets filled with an inflator hose, which is fine with doubles (you use your dry suit inflator hose), but not fine with a single tank (you would have to use your wing inflator hose).

3. The more time you practice the in-water skills before the class, the better off you will be. You will spend time under water with your mask off. Get used to doing mask removal and replacement while staying horizontal, without changing your bouyancy. Practice air-sharing with a buddy. The more you practice beforehand, the more you will learn in the class to improve your skill base.

4. You can do the class in Force Fins, but your will wish you hadn't.

5. You can get by without a canister light or backup light. As pointed out by others, without a canister, you have to do something else to secure the long hose.

6. Go with the 7 footer. You can find 6 footers if you want one. I ended up with a 6 footer by accident. It's a little too short to loop under the canister. I replaced it with a 7 footer.

WJL wrote...
If you buy a bag, get an open circuit bag (one with an opening at the bottom) because as a single tank diver, you're going to have to fill it using your regulator. A closed circuit bag gets filled with an inflator hose, which is fine with doubles (you use your dry suit inflator hose), but not fine with a single tank (you would have to use your wing inflator hose).
Single vs. doubles isn't the issue, but rather if you're diving dry and hence have a second inflator hose.

BTW, the Halcyon closed SMBs can also be orally inflated.

bwerb once bubbled...
OK, so I have decided I want to take the DIRF course. The more I read, the more I believe it meshes perfectly with my diving goals and aspirations. I have spent the last while using the fantastic search function on this board for getting as much information as I can from people who have taken the course. Here are some additional questions I have:

1.) I have ordered the Fundamentals of Better Diving book, is there anything else I should look at reading

2.) I dive single tanks in a recreational environment, I see that the course prerequisites include having a primary reel of at least 300', a secondary reel of at least 100' and a lift bag. What lift bag or configuration is a good selection and are these items I should purchase and use before hand or just show up and learn how to use them?

In all candor we bring our's with us so if expense is an issue you can borrow ours.. Part of the class involves teaching you how to use these items and that is hard to do if the students doesn't have them with them.. But as I noted we'll have ours if that is an issue..

3.) Any in-water drills or physical fitness preparation (other than the typical cardio/weight lifting that I already do) I should make sure I work on prior to the course?

Other then maintaining your usual physical fitness routine nothing special is required..

4.) I see that no "split-fins" are allowed, how would Force Fins work? I have not found any reference to whether or not you can do the required exercises in these (my buddy uses them).

Quit frankly you can use any fins you want, but some of the propulsion techniques that we will be teaching you will be impossible to do with split fins and/or force fins.. It's not that we object from a manufacturer's perspective, it's just that they inhibit doing some of teh things we plan to teach you..

5.) I do not own a cannister light, I have a UK C-8 as my primary and a mask light back-up at this time. I realize that the ultimate set-up is the cannister and a C-cell back-up but do I need either of these for the course?

NO.. We will discuss the Why's about lighting usage but you do NOT need a cannister light for the class..

6.) Currently as a primary OW, single tank diver (with the desire to advance as skills dictate), should I be looking at a 5' or 7' hose (how come I never hear of a 6' hose?).

You can use anything from 5' in length to 7' in length, but from a pratical point of view my expereinces have been to just go with the 7' hose...

Thanks in advance for the advise, I am a strong proponent of research and preparation especially when it concerns learning new skills and personal safety. Any other advise and tips would be much appreciated.

Let me know if I can help any further..

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom