DIRF Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
DIRF Trip Report
By O-ring

July 19-21, 2002 – Raleigh, NC

Instructors: Jarrod Jablonski, Dave Sweetin, Mike Kane, Marc Singer (video), Chris Elmore (WKPP)

Day 1

On July 19, we rolled into Raleigh, NC for a DIR Fundamentals class hosted by Down Under Surf and Scuba. I was lucky enough to be taking the class with 2 buddies from the DC area and one buddy from the NC area that I dive with regularly, so we were anxious to see if what we had been practicing had been close to what was expected of us in the class. We had all read the books, Internet information, and watched the FifthD videos, etc. but wanted to get the real deal.

The class was supposed to start at 6:00 pm, but thanks to some speedy driving we got there a couple hours early and checked into our hotel. We quickly dropped all our junk, grabbed our gear, and headed over to Down Under to de-strokify ;-) our gear before JJ, MHK, and Dave got a hold of us. Basically, this mostly involved a few last minute bolt snap attachments, hose protectors, and a couple hose switchouts. Down Under was very cool and after we bought all our parts they let us use their tools and their classroom to work on our gear. We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the local Chinese restaurant and headed back to get underway. At this point, based on what I have read on the Internet, I was thinking JJ and MHK would come roaring out of the back of the shop, take some sea snips to my gear, and be at least 7’ tall. I couldn’t have been more wrong…they were absolutely some of the coolest guys I have ever met in diving and all the GUE guys that came up were equally approachable and knew their stuff.

While standing around in the shop, we met some of our future classmates and had a chance to break the ice a little. We were all shuttled into the classroom and were introduced to our instructors for the weekend. They were all really nice guys and we went around the room introducing ourselves and talking about our diving experiences. We had a wide range of people in the class, ranging from 6 months experience and 30 dives to decades of experience. Roughly half of the class was diving dry in doubles and the other half mixed wet/dry and diving singles. We had one student who had completed an intro to cave course with another agency and about half our class were instructors or higher with other agencies.

The first night covered the basics of DIR and outlined all the skills and knowledge we would be receiving throughout the class. We went through a bunch of PowerPoint stuff with MHK and JJ giving the bulk of the lecture. We watched videos demonstrating the skills we would be practicing the next day and finished up lecture around 10:30 or so. We were supposed to have all our dives at Fantasy Lake/Rolesville Quarry, but there was a lot of concern by the GUE guys about doing the class there since the vis was reported to be about 3’. One of the main teaching tools that the GUE instructors use is video of you in the water to point out proper technique and to address deficiencies. The instructors felt that the video would seriously be hampered by the vis at the quarry, so they made a backup plan and we decided to do the dives at Lake Rawlings in Rawlings, VA (about 2 hours away). They could have easily just compromised the quality of the class and had the dives at Fantasy Lake (only 30 mins away). They didn’t…even when most of them were running on 4-5 hours sleep and had flown across the country to be there, they went that extra mile to make sure we had the best class we could. I was already impressed. We beat a hasty retreat back to the hotel since we now had to get up at 5:30 am and drive 2 hours.

Day 2

We met at Lake Rawlings around 8:30 am the next morning and got all our gear setup near the entry point. We spread out a number of big tarps so we would have enough room (Rawlings gets pretty crowded if you don’t stake out a large area early on) to kit up and practice our skills on dry land. The first order of the day was exposure protection. There were about half of us in wetsuits, and not much time was spent on those. They went over all the drysuits in the class and looked at the undergarments as well. Good fit and functionality was the topic of the day and they had all the drysuit guys get in the water to get a little suit squeeze going on to demonstrate proper fit. I am glad I hadn’t yet bought a drysuit, because this gave me tons of information to use when I start shopping for one. The gear portion of the class came next, and we all ziptied our first stages to our backplates and donned our rigs sans tanks. The GUE guys then went over each piece of our gear, but were nowhere near the gear nazis I had heard about online. If they hit upon a piece of gear that they felt was inadequate, they would just ask the diver why he/she was using it and explain any problems they saw with that piece of gear (entanglement, failure points, streamlining, etc.). Almost everyone in our class had their harnesses too loose. When JJ was finished adjusting my harness, the extra webbing was enough to go past my buckle, knife, and almost around to my left D-ring. It wasn’t too tight, but much tighter than I had been diving on it previously (more on this later). When we finished the gear adjustment, we removed our rigs and hit the mat (tarp in this case) for some propulsion training. MHK got down on the tarp and demonstrated various propulsion methods (frog, modified frog, backwards kick, helicopter turns, modified flutter). We all then hit the tarp and started practicing while the other GUE guys walked around and helped us get the technique right. I had been frog kicking and modified frog kicking for a while now, but I learned quickly that I wasn’t doing it right. After we learned how to properly kick (hint – a lot is in the ankles), we donned our rigs and headed toward the water for dive 1.

Dive 1 was basically focusing on buoyancy, trim, and the propulsion techniques we had learned throughout the day. The instructors laid out a line course and we followed it in buddy teams practicing different kicks. While practicing, instructors would pull teams out of the line course and work with them on buoyancy, trim, and more kicks. The focus on team was evident from the beginning, and we were pretty lax on our team skills. I had a pretty good opinion of my buoyancy and trim, but when asked to do seemingly simple things by my instructors I found my skills woefully lacking, although my rig felt a ton better than it had before due to the adjustments JJ made. When I stopped concentrating on my kicks long enough to look around, I was absolutely floored by the skills of the GUE guys underwater. Their buoyancy, trim, and propulsion techniques were absolutely everything mine were not. Anywhere in the water column they wanted to be they could place themselves while making it look easy. I think they could have held their position, absolutely motionless, for hours had they wanted to. We were all not measuring up to the bar at this point, regardless of experience level prior to class. It was pretty funny to have a novice diver buddy teamed with an instructor and have them both looking like OW students. The scariest part of the dive was Marc Singer and his “candid camera of shame”. As soon as you felt the strobes on you, you tried like hell to look good because you knew you were headed for the projector screen later. I debated hiding under one of the OW platforms to avoid the camera, but I was here to learn and I wouldn’t learn anything if I wasn’t on the video. We survived dive 1 and the single tank guys went to switch out tanks. We had a debriefing on the surface and headed back to shore to gear up for dive 2. We got back to the tarps to gear back up and one of the students (an instructor with another agency) quit the class. He was packing up his gear and said that he couldn’t do anything they wanted and he wasn’t ready. What had I gotten myself into?

Dive 2 was basically the same except for the addition of some OW-type skills such as remove and replace the regulator, remove and switch to backup and then replace, flood and clear mask, and remove and replace mask. The kicker was these all had to be done with perfect buoyancy and perfect trim. The first 3 were not too bad, but removing and replacing your mask had a little twist to it…you had to remove your mask, hand it to either MHK or Dave Sweetin, and then hold your position in the water until they were happy with it and handed it back to you. I knew something was wrong when I suddenly felt a little colder (thermocline) and felt a *bump* as I dive-bombed the platform. Oops…guess I have to work on that. I was handed my mask at this point, cleared it, and moved out of the way for the next student.

After dive 2, we cleaned up all our gear and headed back to the hotel for the debriefing and the video analysis. Here’s where we got to see how bad we really were. It would have been enough to just watch the video without the GUE critique…man, we were bad. They weren’t harsh, just candid and helpful. I was surprised how well the video worked as a training tool. Dave could tell me until he was blue in the face and pass me all the wetnotes he wanted, but until I saw the video I wasn’t sure what I was doing wrong. My trim was pretty off (heavy legs), and while getting my critique (damn..I swear Marc was videoing me a ton…I must have been on there for 10 minutes. TIP: Don’t wear blue Quattros for DIRF, I was soooo easy to spot on the video) I asked MHK about my weighting. I dropped half my ditchable weight for the rest of the class and my trim was much better. The video wrap-up and analysis took us until around 11 pm and we hastily retreated to our hotel to try to get some sleep for our 7 am start the next day.

Day 3

Day 3 was the opposite of day 2, in that we started out with lecture in a hotel room (7 am) and then moved out to the quarry for dives 3 and 4. We talked about gas management, and learned that our team skills were basically horrible and that if our teams behaved like we had yesterday, we would get some random OOAs thrown in on us, etc. We covered s-drills, horizontal ascents while air sharing, and valve drills in the briefing and then headed over to the quarry to see if we could handle doing them in 20’ of water.

My team (2 of us) drew Dave Sweetin as our instructor for the day and we dropped in to do some drills on dive 3. Our team attempt at an s-drill was pretty bad, but we survived and each got gas. Our drills with Dave as our buddy went significantly better due to the fact that our ability to stay together and ascend horizontally facing each other was much easier with only one of the buddy team having crummy trim and buoyancy control. Dave was able to compensate for our inadequacies, but with the two of us buddied together it was pretty bad…MHK called it WWII dogfighting :). We debriefed and exited for dive 4 after we concentrated too hard on trying backwards kicks, forgot our buddy awareness, and got an OOA pulled on us.

Gearing up for dive 4 found us all (single tank people anyway) a little apprehensive about turning off our gas. For us single tank guys, we only had to turn it off, breathe it down, and then turn it back on (without removing our hand from the valve). I don’t think I breathed mine down all the way before I was furiously turning it the other way. I think I must have moved 10 feet off the platform while doing this skill…so much for maintaining buoyancy and trim. One of the students in our class had a real OOA when he turned his gas off and then couldn’t reach it to turn it back on. As soon as he gave the OOA signal I swear there were like 5 regs in his face for him to choose from…those GUE guys can FLY through the water when they want to. We wrapped up with a debriefing and then went to analyze the video.

Video analysis and final lecture was again one of the most useful exercises of the weekend. We could definitely see where our buoyancy, trim, and breathing all went to heck once we were task loaded. MHK, Dave, and JJ wrapped up the lecture and we went through some additional course material. At the end, they all encouraged us to email them with any questions (we have already) and they would respond as soon as they could (they already did…nice guys!).

Bottom line – don’t be apprehensive about the class based on what you have heard on the Internet or put it off because you don’t think you are ready…take it. There are a lot of misconceptions about DIR and GUE floating around the ‘net, and everything will be cleared up in the class. Definitely the most bang for your buck in dive education that I have been a part of. You won’t regret it.

Thanks for the detailed report. I think that I found several things that I need to start working on, even if I don't get a chance to take the training anytime soon. I do have access to a video camera. I wonder......

that's got to be one of the best, non-confrontational, non ego bruising, reports of a DIRF course I've read thus far. It makes me really want to do one, rather than worry whether I'm good enough to just sign up for the class. I feel sorry for the guy who quit early, must have thought he was there to show off his skills or something and didn't go as planned? Sounds like he missed out.

Now that you're done, do you feel that you will be able to master the skills covered with some practice? or do you think you need to practice, then take it again to be sure you've got it down?

Mike

I feel sorry for the guy who quit early, must have thought he was there to show off his skills or something and didn't go as planned?

Speedster,
I think it was more a case of frustration with him than anything else. He had been a certified diver for quite a while and, like I said, was an instructor. He didn't have a whole lot of dives on his doubles rig before he took the class and I think it rattled him. We were thinking after he left that he probably should have stuck to his singles rig for the class. I am sure, by all accounts, that he is a good diver.

Now that you're done, do you feel that you will be able to master the skills covered with some practice? or do you think you need to practice, then take it again to be sure you've got it down?

I will practice as much as I can and I think I can get "good" at these skills, but not master them for quite a while or probably never. The reason is just experience and practice time more than anything else. These guys spend more time in the water than anybody I have ever met. They are researchers, explorers, and divers, that pretty much eat, breathe, and sleep diving. We talked to Marc Singer and he had something like 340 cave dives last year (think about it, that's like 25 days a year of no diving with a dive every other day of the year!). The majority of us will never be in the water enough to get that good, but they showed us the bar and at least we have something to work toward instead of being ignorantly bliss and plowing through the reef/wreck/cave thinking we are great divers. With practice, we can become really good, safe, better divers, but probably never on their level. The problem is that most divers come out of training with a card for life and are really just starting their journey toward becoming good divers...many of them never practice skills again after getting their c-cards.

I will practice as much as I can and try for Tech 1 when they offer it in my area. If I am not ready, I will practice some more and take it later.

As for the quitting diving thing that seems to happen to a lot of people, I think that is due to how the class hits you. What I mean, is that I think the class has a different impact based on what type of diving you are currently doing. For instance, I am still doing recreational stuff and not doing deco. For me, it was an eye opener and a lot of fun and made me want to dive like they do and look like they do in the water. For someone that is routinely doing much riskier dives than I am and going deep and into deco, etc. I think it is less of a challenging point to strive for and more of a shocking realization of how easily it could be for them to get killed because of their inability to perform the skills the GUE guys all have. I came away with a new appreciation for how easy it is to get killed on a deep wreck or in a cave if a couple events happen and you were unable to manage them (like kicked off mask, can't hold buoyancy, silted out the place, got lost, dead...). Possessing skills like theirs makes one so much safer in these types of environments and so much more prepared to deal with Murphy that I think it makes some people wonder how they have gotten so lucky so far and haven't gotten themselves killed.

Great report O-ring. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

that's an excellent point, I suppose if I was doing those deep, dangerous dives where nothing ever really happened to make me think I was unable to perform skills to keep myself alive, then found that if anything DID happen, I would probably die based on my performance in the DIRF course, it would rattle me. And I don't think diving reefs is what those people want to do, so they quit instead. Catch-22, huh?

Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to write it up. It was particularly interesting to hear your post-class perspective vs. Yooper's.

T-minus 17 days for me. And I'll be wearing my blue Quattros as well....;-)

-Chris

Eric,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a good time.

"We got back to the tarps to gear back up and one of the students (an instructor with another agency) quit the class. He was packing up his gear and said that he couldn’t do anything they wanted and he wasn’t ready. "

I do not understand why people quit the class. (Well, I do have an idea why.) It's not about being able to do what the instructors want you to do, it's about learning. Even by observing JJ and Dave in the water, you are learning. However, there is so much more to the class than just doing the skills.

"The GUE guys then went over each piece of our gear, but were nowhere near the gear nazis I had heard about online. If they hit upon a piece of gear that they felt was inadequate, they would just ask the diver why he/she was using it and explain any problems they saw with that piece of gear (entanglement, failure points, streamlining, etc.).

Bottom line – don’t be apprehensive about the class based on what you have heard on the Internet or put it off because you don’t think you are ready…take it. There are a lot of misconceptions about DIR and GUE floating around the ‘net, and everything will be cleared up in the class. Definitely the most bang for your buck in dive education that I have been a part of. You won’t regret it."

I'm glad to hear you came out of the class feeling the same way I did. They were not gear Nazis, and it is nothing like what is being "debated" on the net. I would be interested to know, though, for those that have taken Cave 1 or Tech 1, if they do say you have to have a Halcyon wing, a scout, etc. or if you can use another brand of wing, different back-up lights than a scout, different primary light than an EE, etc.

Stacey

Thanks for a very informative write up O-ring.

Its too bad that one guy quit. Sounds like he missed out on a good learning experience. Maybe he was feeling what Lost Yooper expressed but at a much higher level.

Back
Top Bottom