Disable Auto URL feature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Team SB!

While posting a list of websites today in thread I noticed that all of the site names got swapped out with their page titles resulting in some very long links. While this feature is mighty cool at times, it's not very user-friendly in a list and required me to remove the URLs all-together. I assume I missed it somewhere, but how do I disable this from happening in selected posts (or globally if that's the only option)?

Thanks!

Thanks El Orans, that doesn't seem to always work but I'll play with it. I can't duplicate it on every attempt but the real problem is that this feature forces me to use the URL tag instead of just typing a url... it's annoying for a list but something I can certainly do. Thanks again!

It's actually right there is the advanced posting options. (If you're in the simple posting box at the bottom of the thread, click the "Go Advanced" button.) In advanced mode, there are two "Additional Options" that are relevant to links:
[X] Automatically parse links in text
[X] Automatically retrieve titles from external links​
The first option determines whether a plain URL (without the [url] tag) is automagically turned into a link. The second option determines whether to leave it alone or use the (often unwieldy) page titles.

When using [url] tags in the style, "[url=http://example.com/]linked text[url]", if the middle part ("linked text" in my example) is the same as the URL (eg. "http://example.com/"), the link will be treated as if you did not specify the linked text. If the two parts *don't* match, it will be left alone as whatever you specified.

(If that's confusing, take a look at the [thread=217447]four test posts[/thread] I made to illustrate it. That should hopefully make it more clear.)

ClayJar,

That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew it was there somewhere... :lotsalove:

Back
Top Bottom