Discover Scuba after Pool Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpayne

Registered
Reaction score
Well I had my Discover Scuba Course had a pretty good time. I didn't have a problem with being under water. I did a clear mask with out any problem and taking the regulator out of my mouth and put it back in. We swam around the pool for a while and then went to the bottom of the pool. Again I didn't have much of a problem. We sat around throwing this toy around on the bottom for awhile and then we went back up. I felt fine talk to the instructor. Told me I did a good job. Still have to learn a lot but it looks like I'd be a fine diver. I went ahead and bought my mask while I was there and I left the place just fine.

Well on the car ride home I found myself unconsciously doing internal system checks. Any pain or itch I had got me thinking am I bent is there a problem. Since none of the pain was constant and no rash or anything and I feel fine. I know I'm ok. But that whole panic and over thinking things put a big damper on the fun that I had.

So here my question is this nothing more than newbie getters and will go away with more training and skill level or is this something that will be with me always.

Thanks
Rob

Rob,

Sometimes we instructors do too good of a job informing our students of potential problems. For most, this just gives them the jitters. For a few it turns into a phobia. While I hope I never err by taking things too lightly, I do find having to get myself to back down a bit on the Scare rhetoric.

In short... You did fine and only probably only have the jitters that comes from having a bunch of new experiences thrown at you. If your symptoms or anxiety get worse, call DAN for advice. They are great folk and have done a world of good for new divers like yourself.

Have fun, get wet, stay safe!

NetDoc:
Rob,

Sometimes we instructors do too good of a job informing our students of potential problems. For most, this just gives them the jitters. For a few it turns into a phobia. While I hope I never err by taking things too lightly, I do find having to get myself to back down a bit on the Scare rhetoric.

In short... You did fine and only probably only have the jitters that comes from having a bunch of new experiences thrown at you. If your symptoms or anxiety get worse, call DAN for advice. They are great folk and have done a world of good for new divers like yourself.

Have fun, get wet, stay safe!

Thanks Netdoc

Yea i'm feeling fine most of the anxiety has gone away now and the enjoyment is coming back.. Like you said it mostly just the jitters. (too much reading horror stories on Scubaboard.com lol) All I have now is some little sore muscles. Not use to swiming with fins. But nothing like the DCS symtoms. Can't see how I'd get DCS anyway we were only in a 10' pool and we were only down at the deep end under the water for maybe 15 min Max with no rapid accent. So for me to have actually gotten bent it would have to be one heck of some bad luck. I am not giving in just getting use to something that's really new..
I do have to say one thing. I really love you guys here on Scubaboard.com. Your always here to help and you don't mind answering the new guy on the blocks question or fears.. I really really appreiate you guys.

Thanks again for easying a newbies mind.

Rob

Looks like you did just fine, Rob. Keep going! :)

Hopefully you don't have a job like I do. I move furniture for a living and have aches, pains, pinpoint tingles and numbness on a regular basis. Unless it was a bad case, I don't think I would ever realize it if I got bent. :33:

rpayne:
Well on the car ride home I found myself unconsciously doing internal system checks. Any pain or itch I had got me thinking am I bent is there a problem. Since none of the pain was constant and no rash or anything and I feel fine. I know I'm ok. But that whole panic and over thinking things put a big damper on the fun that I had.

Medical students often think that they have all the symptoms of the diseases that they're currently studying.

Don't let it bother you.

yeah - always thinking you have a virus...

as a stockbroker, I always think its a summer market..

summer up
summer down

rpayne:
Well I had my Discover Scuba Course had a pretty good time. I didn't have a problem with being under water. I did a clear mask with out any problem and taking the regulator out of my mouth and put it back in. We swam around the pool for a while and then went to the bottom of the pool. Again I didn't have much of a problem. We sat around throwing this toy around on the bottom for awhile and then we went back up. I felt fine talk to the instructor. Told me I did a good job. Still have to learn a lot but it looks like I'd be a fine diver. I went ahead and bought my mask while I was there and I left the place just fine.

So here my question is this nothing more than newbie getters and will go away with more training and skill level or is this something that will be with me always.

Thanks
Rob

hy·po·chon·dri·a [h?p? kóndree ?] noun
imagined illness: an abnormal, usually long-term preoccupation with health and bodily sensations, accompanied by a deluded conviction of having a serious disease without objective evidence.
Also called hypochondriasis

Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
but as net doc said don't take all info as Gospel and enjoy without the worry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom