Discover Scuba after Pool Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadoguk:
hy·po·chon·dri·a [h?p? kóndree ?] noun
imagined illness: an abnormal, usually long-term preoccupation with health and bodily sensations, accompanied by a deluded conviction of having a serious disease without objective evidence.
Also called hypochondriasis

Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
but as net doc said don't take all info as Gospel and enjoy without the worry

I wouldn't call it hypochondia more than I know that if there is any possbile way for me to have bad luck.. It would happen. If I had a million to one shot of winning the lottery the only way I win is if it was a lottery for people to be taken out and shot.. lol.. If anything I classify it as TMRSB syndome (To much reading scubaboard) lol

Again thanks for the help

Rob

rpayne:
I wouldn't call it hypochondia more than I know that if there is any possbile way for me to have bad luck.. It would happen. If I had a million to one shot of winning the lottery the only way I win is if it was a lottery for people to be taken out and shot.. lol.. If anything I classify it as TMRSB syndome (To much reading scubaboard) lol

Again thanks for the help

Rob

I hear you :wink: but please don't think your alone in this worry.
I did a chamber orientation for a group and low and behold a week later one of the group turned up with just the type of symptoms we had described after a dive to 9 ft around the local quarry, she was given the full treatment and we will never know if she was bent or not but the mind is a powerful tool, be positive and sure and I am sure you will be just fine as a diver and buddy.

rpayne:
Well I had my Discover Scuba Course had a pretty good time. I didn't have a problem with being under water. I did a clear mask with out any problem and taking the regulator out of my mouth and put it back in. We swam around the pool for a while and then went to the bottom of the pool. Again I didn't have much of a problem. We sat around throwing this toy around on the bottom for awhile and then we went back up. I felt fine talk to the instructor. Told me I did a good job. Still have to learn a lot but it looks like I'd be a fine diver. I went ahead and bought my mask while I was there and I left the place just fine.

Well on the car ride home I found myself unconsciously doing internal system checks. Any pain or itch I had got me thinking am I bent is there a problem. Since none of the pain was constant and no rash or anything and I feel fine. I know I'm ok. But that whole panic and over thinking things put a big damper on the fun that I had.

So here my question is this nothing more than newbie getters and will go away with more training and skill level or is this something that will be with me always.

Thanks
Rob

Ah! the first dive nerves have struck. Well done you got underwater. You swam around.
Dont stop there go on sign up and get the ticket. It is not unusual to fell a bit cautious after your first dive. Just take your time with everything you do in diving learn all the what to do's and what not to do and keep those things in memory and it will eventually become second nature.
there is a whole world of water out there go and have a closer look at it!!!
Well done and keep up the good work.
reguards Stuey 2

rpayne:
Well on the car ride home I found myself unconsciously doing internal system checks. Any pain or itch I had got me thinking am I bent is there a problem. Since none of the pain was constant and no rash or anything and I feel fine. I know I'm ok. But that whole panic and over thinking things put a big damper on the fun that I had.

Thanks
Rob
you're not a unique animal out there... a friend of mine did his OW pool sessions one day and at 3am that night he's frantically calling his instructor (a good friend of his) and he's going "dude, i've got pains all over, i think i have the bends!"

the instructor screams into the phone: "in 15 feet of water!?!?!?!?!? <insert stream of expletives here> it's 3 in the <more expletives> morning! go to bed!!!!" (remember they are good friends, don't flame me for telling story)

well, a couple of years later, old bent-boy is now a PADI DM, has never got bent yet (close but that's a diff story), and is making serious plans to go instructor...

the story of the "15-foot pool bends" continues to send dive buddies into fits of laughter to this day

Jag

PS
you'll be fine... it was all muscle pains he was experiencing from finning and lugging the tank around

shugar:
you're not a unique animal out there... a friend of mine did his OW pool sessions one day and at 3am that night he's frantically calling his instructor (a good friend of his) and he's going "dude, i've got pains all over, i think i have the bends!"

the instructor screams into the phone: "in 15 feet of water!?!?!?!?!? <insert stream of expletives here> it's 3 in the <more expletives> morning! go to bed!!!!" (remember they are good friends, don't flame me for telling story)

well, a couple of years later, old bent-boy is now a PADI DM, has never got bent yet (close but that's a diff story), and is making serious plans to go instructor...

the story of the "15-foot pool bends" continues to send dive buddies into fits of laughter to this day

Jag

PS
you'll be fine... it was all muscle pains he was experiencing from finning and lugging the tank around

Yea most of my pains have gone away now after 4 days. My left arm has started hurting but I think that was lunging the Christmas tree around. So I am definately sure it's not dive related. If something was wrong I'd known it by now anyway. Mostly I think it's what you guys have said new experences coupled with too much reading. I found out that a guy here I work with is a diver. Which was a big surprise since I've worked with him for years and never new it. He said he's never had DCS in all his diving career and that's well over 13 years. He told me the same thing you all have take it slow be cautious and everything will be fine. I agree, with and will go on with getting my OW. I know I wasn't alone in my thinking and I'm sure that I'm not going to be the last one that ever post something like this. Every new person to some degree or another think about this. I think some of us, me included, started with a hope for the best expect the worst attitude. So soon as something is different from before you stepped into the water, we ofcourse automatically set are selfs up for a stressed out something might be wrong panic attack. Personally it might not have been a bad idea for instructors to call thier students a couple of hours after a session just to ease thier fears. Well just my humble 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom