Discovery Seeking Amateur Hurricane Footage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeFlaneur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, Floridians. First, let me extend my sympathies for the battering you have taken at the hands of nature this year.

With that in mind, I wanted to bring an opportunity to everybody's attention. Discovery is putting together a show of the best (or worst as the case may be) amateur footage of hurricanes. I know scuba board isn't the perfect venue for this, but I've been a member here for a while and thought it might be a good way to get the word out.

If you or anybody you know has shot great video of hurricanes in the last 8 years or so (in other words it doesn't have to be this season). Please get in touch with me. A PM is okay. It can be any format, any length, but it has to be spectacular and it can't have aired nationally (locally is okay). This is not for money but we will be looking to interview the people who shot the footage and tell their story, so it should be fun.

This is a really quick turnaround so we need to get stuff fast. Also, we will probably want the original tape so we can make a quality dub. Of course we will return it and cover all shipping. If you have a tape, let me know and I will get you the shipping information.

We are all aware that this is a touchy subject. PLEASE. Do not go out in Jeanne and get yourself hurt. It won't be worth it. We will not take video from people doing obviously irresponsible or life-threatening things.

Thanks all,

James

I'll have to go over my video from Charley - We watched an aweful lot of stuff fly by though. It got a little harrowing for a while.. if there is anything worth while, I'll PM you. :)

i got some from frances. i went out in it and tapes the winds on the golf course in coral spring. i got some good footage of trees blowing and some minor damage.

let me know
thanks
brian

23angler:
well it is 10 pm sunday night and that show is on. i guess that i am a little late

thanks
brian

Ha ha... no.. we could never have turned a show around that fast. That was another hurricane show. You know, when Discovery decides it likes something... like motorcycles... it does it to death. Since this is the worst hurricane season since 1856 or something like that, I guess it stands to reason.

This will air Oct. 24 and even that is not much time to get a show together.

As for the footage, people are just going to have to be their own critics. It has to be spectacular -- storm surge, trees coming down, flooding, structures collapsing, people struggling... bonus if there is a good story to go along with it. If it doesn't have an element that makes you go HOLY COW, then don't send it.

Also... as an update. Hopefully we'll be getting an 800 number up and running soon, and a Fedex/UPS account to use. Also, it appears that we will be able to pay for these tapes after all. Won't be much, maybe 1-2 hundred dollars if we feature it, but at least it will be something for your trouble.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.. ours is the aftermath of stuff.. there was a point there where we couldnt even open the door.. just had to watch from a crack between boards. It was kind of cool to watch things flying away from us though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom