Discrepancy between my computers during the dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @pisauron

Your 2 computers were 12 minutes apart in their NDLs in the graphs you posted.
This was in the setting of a few NDL dives. Personally, I don't find Ratio's explanation adequate for 2 computers running the same algorithm with the same settings. I have dived my Teric and Dive Rite Nitek Q together extensively, and NDL never varied more than 1 min. The difference in CNS O2 continues to bother me.

Nice that they answered you.

Let us know about your future experience.

It was the answer, I gave more or less too. I don't see any things wrong, but for you maybe it is confusing.

It was the answer, I gave more or less too. I don't see any things wrong, but for you maybe it is confusing.
How much discrepancy is wrong and a problem then?

No one got bent either right? There are no absolutes on these, its software guess-o-rythems, the best way to avoid this issue is to get two computers from the same company and era, and if you don’t want to veer to far off from your buddies you should probably all use the same computers, sell the Ratio and buy another Garmin or whatever.
It is a little tiresome that when something is not exactly correct, it is deemed a guess. Just sayin'.

How much discrepancy is wrong and a problem then?

I would consider 15 minutes of NDL vs. deco 30 minutes into the dive: way too much.

As their tech pointed out, the computer start the dive with different CNS values. You gotta wonder if they also start with different residual loading. You'd have to look at the logs for prior dives. I don't know if either of them logs O2%, but if one of them was set to a different mix on the preceding dive(s), that would explain both CNS and residual loading. Pay attention to timestamps and see what the computers think the surface intervals were: clock not ticking in one of them would make its SI much shorter: less off-gassing and O2 washout.

I would consider 15 minutes of NDL vs. deco 30 minutes into the dive: way too much.

As their tech pointed out, the computer start the dive with different CNS values. You gotta wonder if they also start with different residual loading. You'd have to look at the logs for prior dives. I don't know if either of them logs O2%, but if one of them was set to a different mix on the preceding dive(s), that would explain both CNS and residual loading. Pay attention to timestamps and see what the computers think the surface intervals were: clock not ticking in one of them would make its SI much shorter: less off-gassing and O2 washout.
I have sent them all the logs from the start of the trip.
All the mixes were the same and all the surface intervals too.

I can attach the logs here? Maybe someome will be smarter and can check them...

This may sound like a big difference, but depending on depth there might not be a big difference in tissue loading between the two. Going up or down a a few feet can change the NDL drastically when you are around 50' after being deep for a while. Some of the compartments are off gassing, while others are still on gassing. The difference between needing 2 minutes of deco at 10' and needing 0 minutes of deco are pretty small still.

Hi @pisauron

So, what is the explanation for the CNS O2 difference when the computers had the same mix, dive time, and SI for all the dives? I believe both computers use the NOAA table for exposure. I also assume that both use a 90 min half-life of elimination for the SI. They were 10% different on the same dive that had the significant NDL discrepancy.

Too bad Ratio does not track GF (GF99) as Shearwater does. You would be able to compare the surfacing GFs of your dives.

I wear two identical Oceanic computers set for the same mix. Over 2 dives they get quite far apart because the depth sensors do not read exactly the same. They may be off by a foot or more, depending on the depth, and over 2 plus hours of multilevel diving that creates different NDL's.
This ^^^.

I wear 3 identical Oceanic computers. One for my main tank on right wrist, one for pony/stage on my left wrist and a backup in my BCD pocket. I have also found the depths can vary by a foot or more and thus the NDLs vary as a result.

Reactions: BRT
That's all good and well but if your two sensors read differently, they should do that on every dive. My understanding is, that is not the case here.

I am not sure how likely it is that you'd rake up 15 minutes difference in deco from a couple of feet difference in pressure sensor reading, either. Without running the numbers I suspect it's not actually possible (all other things being equal) on a no-stop dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom