discrepencies in training prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is it that people think these classes should be done for free? As an instructor, they have invested monies to be able to teach these classes. Include insurance into the mix, and folks would not believe what the teaching cost are. Then add what our time is worth and the bills we must pay, everyone wants something for nothing. I do not know of many that work for nothing but the love of what they do, do you?

Don Wray:
Why is it that people think these classes should be done for free? As an instructor, they have invested monies to be able to teach these classes. Include insurance into the mix, and folks would not believe what the teaching cost are. Then add what our time is worth and the bills we must pay, everyone wants something for nothing. I do not know of many that work for nothing but the love of what they do, do you?
This is why I gave up the LDS and search for Independant Instructors. I feel they should gain something for their time and the Instructor him or herself can decide what training is worth to them and charge me what is fair. Then I don't feel like they were jipped by getting $50 bucks a student and I can get my training with minimal overhead. :)

fisherdvm:
Does anyone honestly read all the posts before they type?? Sorry.... I tend not to do that.

Perhaps not on long threads, but there were only 7 on this thread. I guess the point is that if you are going to bother asking questions, it would be better to at least have a look at what has been said.

fisherdvm:
Does anyone honestly read all the posts before they type?? Sorry.... I tend not to do that.

I do. If a poster constantly spouts off their piece without giving due consideration and respect to the time others took to answer, I tend to skip their posts. I like to think I'm not just typing into a void and someone will find my opinions and knowledge useful, so i like to give others the same respect.

rakkis:
I do. If a poster constantly spouts off their piece without giving due consideration and respect to the time others took to answer, I tend to skip their posts. I like to think I'm not just typing into a void and someone will find my opinions and knowledge useful, so i like to give others the same respect.

Well said. Glad its not just me then...

maybe i came across the wrong way. i DO NOT think that classes should be free. I'm just puzzled as to the discrepency of the prices. the actual difference in amount isn't that great, but percentage wise, it's quite a bit.

Don Wray:

$50 dollars a student ......minimul overhead....what about the instructor who took his/her time away from their family to meet with you at the pool or o/w site to take the class...folks, this is a job just like yours and we don't want to rip anyone off but we have bills to pay also. If you were in trouble, you'd want the best lawyer you could afford. We're talking big bucks there....In scuba, you want the best instructor available to teach you to be safe....I don't understand why people want to dive, want to get certed for specialties, and then complain about the cost.

I didn't say that was what I thought it should be. I just have heard that some shops pay their instructors about 50 a head. and I thought that was messed up. SO I look for independant instructors so THEY get the cash NOT the LDS. I am trying to support the instructors not the LDS. Sorry it came off the wrong way.

Don Wray:
$50 dollars a student ......minimul overhead....what about the instructor who took his/her time away from their family to meet with you at the pool or o/w site to take the class...folks, this is a job just like yours and we don't want to rip anyone off but we have bills to pay also. If you were in trouble, you'd want the best lawyer you could afford. We're talking big bucks there....In scuba, you want the best instructor available to teach you to be safe....I don't understand why people want to dive, want to get certed for specialties, and then complain about the cost.
I don't think there is anything in the original post to suggest that he was complaining about the cost. Looks to me like he was just trying to understand what would lead to a difference in pricing one way or another.
I agree that a lot of instructors are underpaid, but don't lay that all on the poster here. Nothiing he has said even indicates that he necessarily wants to go for the cheapest offer.

As for the original poster. I think you should go with content over that price difference. There can be a large difference in AOW courses (PADI anyway) depending on which specialty dives you undertake. You will be limited by the fact that you will be diving in a quarry, but you should try to get PPB and Search and recovery dives as two of your three options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom