discrepencies in training prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Wray:
....In scuba, you want the best instructor available to teach you to be safe....I don't understand why people want to dive, want to get certed for specialties, and then complain about the cost.

IMHO, all you really need for nitrox is the book and the final exam. But agencies require more than that. So, unless you have major problems with basic math, I'd recommend the least expensive route that gets you the card.

Xman for PADI deep and navigation are required as part of the 5 dives, leaving 3 electives.

gafftape42:
Xman for PADI deep and navigation are required as part of the 5 dives, leaving 3 electives.

True..head was in the wrong space for a moment. Thanks for the correction.

fisherdvm:
Does anyone honestly read all the posts before they type?? Sorry.... I tend not to do that.

I often don't as the thread rapidly moves away from the OP into some sort of argument about what’s 'better', the 'right agency' or even if you are 'qualified' to enter the class....

This post is a good example of that!

Well they are different companies, so they're not required to charge similar prices. The shop that charges more may feel that they provide a better quality product (in this case a better learning experience). If you feel they are offering the same quality of service and product, then go with the cheaper shop…but don’t sacrifice quality for price!
Is the shop that charges less new? Sometimes new shops massively undercut their competitors to get a customer base....kinda a d**k move though...
Most shops determine price by adding instructor cost, materials cost, travel cost and some desired amount of profit (essentially what all business do). The shop that charges more may pay higher rent or pay their instructors better (though I doubt it), or may have some other expense. They may also just be greedy.
The shop that charges less may also be a 'gear' shop, that is once you're in the class they may have a constant, heavy sales pitch to get you to buy gear. I realize you said you own gear but that may just be how they come to the price for their course.

lazyturtle:
I often don't as the thread rapidly moves away from the OP into some sort of argument about what’s 'better', the 'right agency' or even if you are 'qualified' to enter the class....

This post is a good example of that!

While this IS a good example of your rational, above, I usually DO read all the posts...just like this one. That's how I know that this question has been asked/already answered or not, etc...

Kevin

back to the original post.....

I went with the cheaper price when I took my OW. BUT I spoke in advance to several local divers who knew both shops to get their opinions. They all told me to go with the cheaper shop and I'm glad I did. I had a great instructor and we did our cert dives from a boat. The other shop (the one I did NOT go with) was about $35 more for the course, had to pay separate for materials and did cert dives from shore. Overall saved about $90 and got boat dives to boot! And had a great instructor!

BTW, cost of OW was $285.

I paid $265 inc materials when I took AOW at the "other shop".

I went with the other shop for AOW because the SI was a friend and regular dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom