Discussing the Dive Sites Directory...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Split off from: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/great-lakes-wrecking-crew/209179-dive-sites-glwc-region.html

I didn't want to go public with this, but tomdiddle would not respond to my PM to him. Mods, (Ber Rabbit) take this post off this thread in about a week if you would. I'm just trying to set the record straight in this forum. In tomdiddle's opening paragraph (found below) of his Portage Quarry post, he came out and directly called into question my integrity and honesty. I am not a liar or an exaggerator; everything I posted about Gilboa is true, so when he says, "what I don't see is truth", I don't have a clue what he is talking about because he states no evidence to base his comment that calls my honesty into question. I dive Gilboa and pay the fees just as any diver who wants to dive there. My only other affiliation with Gilboa is the promo video I produced for Mike. Why my affiliation with Gilboa should taint my description of Gilboa is beyond me. I think tomdiddle thinks this thread is about "mine is bigger than yours" mindset and it's not; it's just a place for other divers to show diving opportunities in the GLWC region, nothing else. Jeff, if you had the line "The Midwest's Premier Dive Site" before I used it in the video, I apologize; it was pure coincidence. I would not have used that tag-line if I knew it was yours. Nuf said. Barracuda2

I am truly amused as I read about the Ohio Quarries, but what made me even more amused is the fact that those that are writing about them are also affiliated with them or run that Quarry. Rick runs Whitestar and owns Divers Inc., and Barracuda2 is openly affiliated with Gilboa. What I don't see is truth. I have been diving at both Quarries many times and was originally trained at Whitestar. I on the other hand have no affiliation with a Quarry but would like to set the record straight. Each Quarry has it's uniqueness however let's tell the truth shall we. I know Rich from Whitestar as well as Mike from Gilboa, and I also know Jeff Rice from Portage Quarry. For Barracuda2 to say that Gilboa is the premier dive site in Ohio is stealing from the line that Portage Quarry uses.

So without to much bias let's compare what I would say are the top 3 Dive Quarries in Ohio. As you have already read above. You see what Gilboa and Whitestar have to offer so let's see and compare Portage Quarry and what they have. All information comes from my own personal experience, the website and the local Divemaster and Dive Team President Tom Wyble. Tom also was gracious enough to send me their most recent Dive Team Newsletter. Let's start by saying a truly Premier Dive Destination is more than just serving Divers. It also needs to provide for the non-diving Family member as well as children. Portage Quarry does just that and more. So let's use the examples that were given above.

I am certainly not affiliated with Gilboa and my instructor, who I openly support as a good teacher and great dive instructor, pretty much refuses to dive there.

I've never thought Barracuda2 was "affiliated" with Gilboa. He has a good relationship with Mike and Jodie, but that's where it ends.

I've been to Portage, Natural Springs, Blue Springs in Indiana, and Dutch Springs, in Pennsylvania. I'd like to give White Star a try. But I've been told (by other divers- none of whom have an affiliation with any dive site beyond diving there) not to bother with Circleville Twin Quarries.

I second B2s assessment of Gilboa- IN COMPARISON TO THE OTHER QUARRIES! They've got a good site there. No reason to bash B2 for giving his opinion and adding to the information base which is THE WHOLE POINT of this thread.

tomdiddle should have just added info and left it at that.

Mods- its fine with me if you need to erase this post. I'm just insulted that someone would bash Denny like that- he is a fine person, and, though he obviously LIKES Gilboa and those who run it, he is no patsy. He's a great mediator between divers and quarry staff. I can't speak for Rich or White Star as I've never met Rich or been to White Star. But there's no excuse for attacking either him or Denny for posting their opinions.

Good comments regarding tomdiddle's post.

This past weekend at the GLWC M&G a few of us were discussing the post. Barracuda2 was not part of the conversation. We were flabbergasted at diddle's post as this was simply meant to be a thread describing dive sites for those who may not have been there before. We couldn't see why it mattered who posted the information as long as it was good information. & as someone who has dove all the sites listed in this thread more times than I can count (except the Sink hole) I found all the posts to be good descriptions. & that even includes Spring Mill Pond!

My 2 cents.
Paula

B2

Sorry that I made it sound like I thought you were a liar. Deepest regrets. I saw in another post of yours that you stated that you attended their meeting. You do not typically go to someones meeting that you are not affiliated with. Also SORRY that I did not get your PM. I have been out of the country. Opportunity to go to warm weather and water came up and I took it. I do wonder when the last time that you went to Portage was, and how many times you have gone to other local Quarries. I know Mike has a nice place there and didn't mean to make it sound like he did not. But from diving there many times as well as the others I don't believe it is the Premier site. They all have their uniqueness like I said before , however for a total Family Experience it has got to be the Portage Quarry ( again in my opinion). Sorry for offending you. Did not mean to. Most Sincerely
Tomdiddle

Tom,

Thank you for responding. & yes, I agree that of the quarries I have dove, Portage is the most family friendly.

Paula

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. The reason I use the word "Premier" is because that's what I used in the the video I produced for Gilboa. The purpose of the video is to promote Gilboa, thus the promotional tag-word, like in all advertisement. I occasionally dive Portage; in fact I used to dive Portage back in the 60's when nothing was there but water and path around the quarry. It was a party site for BGSU students. The purpose of Rich's thread was to inform; I thought you took it as a "contest" for whose quarry was better. All three quarries have their own uniqueness; it depends what you're looking for. As with Paula, I do agree that Portage is more "family" friendly with its amenities of beach, swimming, etc; I never said that Gilboa was more family friendly in my original post; I just posted info on Gilboa using promotional words; it's in my nature. Maybe we can dive together sometime.

Denny

B2

Sorry that I made it sound like I thought you were a liar. Deepest regrets. I saw in another post of yours that you stated that you attended their meeting. You do not typically go to someones meeting that you are not affiliated with. Also SORRY that I did not get your PM. I have been out of the country. Opportunity to go to warm weather and water came up and I took it. I do wonder when the last time that you went to Portage was, and how many times you have gone to other local Quarries. I know Mike has a nice place there and didn't mean to make it sound like he did not. But from diving there many times as well as the others I don't believe it is the Premier site. They all have their uniqueness like I said before , however for a total Family Experience it has got to be the Portage Quarry ( again in my opinion). Sorry for offending you. Did not mean to. Most Sincerely
Tomdiddle

I work in the customer service industry and appreciate good service. I'm from Canada and have no affiliation with any of these sites, I've dove Portage & Gilboa numerous times and like them both.

When I go to dive I don't need a hassle or to be scowled at by the staff - let alone the owner of the place, when I'm a PAYING customer. If I treated my patrons the way I was treated on my last Gilboa trip I would be out of a job. Me, my buddies, my divemaster and any students have never been back.

Let me know if the place ever has new management.

And for what it's worth 'premier' sounds like ad copy, not like a report from Joe Diver actually letting me know what they think of a place. I appreciate all the info but I want a customers perspective.

Hey Narced, One for-sure thing I've learned in my relatively long life is that there are always 3 sides to every confrontational story; Yours, His, and The Truth.

As far as the use of the word "premier" goes, I am a customer and that was my perspective. I pay to dive Gilboa just like everybody else.

I work in the customer service industry and appreciate good service. I'm from Canada and have no affiliation with any of these sites, I've dove Portage & Gilboa numerous times and like them both.

When I go to dive I don't need a hassle or to be scowled at by the staff - let alone the owner of the place, when I'm a PAYING customer. If I treated my patrons the way I was treated on my last Gilboa trip I would be out of a job. Me, my buddies, my divemaster and any students have never been back.

Let me know if the place ever has new management.

And for what it's worth 'premier' sounds like ad copy, not like a report from Joe Diver actually letting me know what they think of a place. I appreciate all the info but I want a customers perspective.

Oh, there was no confrontation. I just didn't like the way he spoke to us; like he was doing us a favor. Maybe you've had better experiences there but I decide where I spend my recreational money, and I won't spend it where I don't feel that my patronage is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom