Dishonest LDS ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My girlfriend in taking her OW class with plans to do the referral dives in the Caribbean. She doesn't have tons of money so she is borrowing a few of the basic items for the class. She bought booties and a mask but is borrowing fins, and snorkel. The owner of the LDS asked her to bring in the gear she was borrowing so he could make sure it was OK to use.

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power. They are doing Naui and he specifically mentioned they wouldn't be stiff enough to provide enough power for the rescue portion of the class. :confused:

Am I crazy?? This seems to me like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Is he just trying to sell her more gear? (that was my opinion) SHe also told me he was a "hard-sell" on the other gear and even tried to sell her a wetsuit. Is there any reason she can't use split fins??

Please let me know what you guys think. I think he's a scammer.

Thanks in advance.

My girlfriend in taking her OW class with plans to do the referral dives in the Caribbean. She doesn't have tons of money so she is borrowing a few of the basic items for the class. She bought booties and a mask but is borrowing fins, and snorkel. The owner of the LDS asked her to bring in the gear she was borrowing so he could make sure it was OK to use.

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power. They are doing Naui and he specifically mentioned they wouldn't be stiff enough to provide enough power for the rescue portion of the class. :confused:

Am I crazy?? This seems to me like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Is he just trying to sell her more gear? (that was my opinion) SHe also told me he was a "hard-sell" on the other gear and even tried to sell her a wetsuit. Is there any reason she can't use split fins??

Please let me know what you guys think. I think he's a scammer.

Thanks in advance.

From someone who works in an honest LDS - FIND ANOTHER LDS!

I'm all for supporting your local LDS, but how long is it going to take before they realize they are running new divers off with their high prices and lines of bull*****. She will be fine in the split fins.

If she wears splits, she'll die! :mooner:

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, that is a crock. She could probably tape foot long cardboard to her feet and pass the OW cert. The guy is just trying to squeeze sales and nothing else.

/and yes, I dive splits :wink:

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power.

Not only is he an idiot, but he's stupid as well!

LOL, what does the LDS plan on having her rescue....? You better check out this class first; forget the fins.

LOL, what does the LDS plan on having her rescue....? You better check out this class first; forget the fins.

What? Didn't you take the sixth OW rescue checkout dive? They make you rescue nudis. Man, those quick little critters! :blinking:

find another LDS because either this guy is dishonest and lying to make a sale or he is completely misinformed as to what fins are appropriate for wreck and cave diving.
Either way, your girlfriend is better off with another LDS.

Back
Top Bottom