Dishonest LDS ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i could see him saying that it would be harder to do that part of the class with split fins but saying they dont provide enoff power is bs.. hell i could do it with just my feet in clam conditions.. anything on your feet to make them bigger is going to help..

I'm starting to think LDS stands for "Local Dishonest Shop".

I think this is a troll..............

Not even a local dive store owner could be this stupid.

Phil Ellis

I knew an owner that was this stupid. He couldn't even answer the most basic questions about his own product lines. Of course he is out of business now. :wink:

My girlfriend in taking her OW class with plans to do the referral dives in the Caribbean. She doesn't have tons of money so she is borrowing a few of the basic items for the class. She bought booties and a mask but is borrowing fins, and snorkel. The owner of the LDS asked her to bring in the gear she was borrowing so he could make sure it was OK to use.

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power. They are doing Naui and he specifically mentioned they wouldn't be stiff enough to provide enough power for the rescue portion of the class. :confused:

Am I crazy?? This seems to me like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Is he just trying to sell her more gear? (that was my opinion) SHe also told me he was a "hard-sell" on the other gear and even tried to sell her a wetsuit. Is there any reason she can't use split fins??

Please let me know what you guys think. I think he's a scammer.

Thanks in advance.

if the LDS
truly said this ask the gf to get training elsewhere.true the lds owner may be upset that he lost the sale of the fins but he sold a mask and boots.Hopefully he would have made additional sales as xmas is coming up.Was this course priced accordingly?In that area a course goes for $250.-$325. Was it less expensive than that? If it was less expensive(like a $99. special) the lds needed to make it a written
policy that to get that price the basic gear was to be purchased from them.This is not to defend them as making the statement allegedly said is totally wrong.Advise on 3mm suit for the ow class,especially that she is completing training south is not wrong
but can be good advise(suit may not be expensive-can be had for $99. on up).Living and teaching in the Westchester area I would be interested which facility this is.

Please post the shop name. Living near Fairfield County, CT, I would like to know the shop

My girlfriend in taking her OW class with plans to do the referral dives in the Caribbean. She doesn't have tons of money so she is borrowing a few of the basic items for the class. She bought booties and a mask but is borrowing fins, and snorkel. The owner of the LDS asked her to bring in the gear she was borrowing so he could make sure it was OK to use.

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power. They are doing NAUI and he specifically mentioned they wouldn't be stiff enough to provide enough power for the rescue portion of the class. :confused:

Am I crazy?? This seems to me like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Is he just trying to sell her more gear? (that was my opinion) She also told me he was a "hard-sell" on the other gear and even tried to sell her a wet suit. Is there any reason she can't use split fins??

Please let me know what you guys think. I think he's a scammer.

Thanks in advance.

You are NOT crazy. As you suspected the owner is feeding you a line of bovine excrement.

My wife daughter and I are all certified through NAUI. The two lead instructors are both NAUI course directors.

My wife did open water and the AOW with Atomic split fins.
My daughter did her AOW with Atomic split fins.

I did my NAUI AOW, NAUI Rescue Diver and the first 4 dives of my NAUI Master Diver checkouts using Atomic split fins. I will be finishing the remaining 4 dives NAUI Master Dives in the spring.

If you cannot get your money back simply tell the LDS owner that you checked with NAUI and there is no problem whatsoever using Atomic split fins for the course.

If you can get your money back go to another LDS because the current LDS has proved that they cannot be trusted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom