Dishonest LDS ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Borrow some fins or pick some up on e-bay. Take the class, and if they keep up with the hard gear sell then take the c-card and don't visit the shop again.

At the end of the class, if this seems more like a misunderstanding than a way of doing business, then give them another chance (trust but verify....)

Rich

God I hate LDS BS! I got disgusted having the LDS try to sell me SP splits like 4 times early on. Overpriced and overrated. I bought SP jets from LP and ended that issue. Bottom line like others have said: Most wreck, cave and many an OW diver use paddle/ jet type fins. The stiff fin provides "power off the line" and lends itself perfectly to a variety of kicking styles. Not that it would matter too much with this joker's classes because I'll bet that kicking technique will get glossed over. The splits are designed to provide power with less effort using the flutter kick. In theory. Many divers find that over time, as you dive more, in more environments, a stiff paddle type fin may be a better overall fin. Take the class in whatever fin you can use. Investigate and try different fins after the class but before you make a commitment to purchase.

My take: Stiff/paddle/jets: More control. Best for varied kicks. Best in challenging dive conditions (wrecks, caves, current) or on dives where the conditions can change throughout the dive. Many warm water dives have strong currents, tight swimthroughs (like caves or caverns) etc. I feel this is the best all around fin and once you build muscle memory and proper technique there is nothing you can't do in them.

Splits: Tried them once in a pool. Very "flimsy" feel and no "power off the line". I started to swim fast laps using the flutter kick to see what they were like when I got them up to speed. My feeling was that I don't dive like that in the real world. I'm not in a race so the fins were worthless to me and not the best tool for the job. OK fins for easy warm water dives I guess.
Highly overrated.

When I was teaching I strongly doscouraged students from using split fins and eventually just disallowed them altogether.

Mike, I think the key issue is disclosure. If an instructor wants to disallow split fins, or require wearing a bright yellow leotard, that is their right. But this criteria should be made clear to prospective students before taking their money and signing them up. Springing this on them after the fact is rude and discourteous even if willing to refund the course fee, and downright dishonest if not.

LOL, what does the LDS plan on having her rescue....? You better check out this class first; forget the fins.

NAUI requires rescue skills in its SCUBA Diver (what most other agencies call Open Water) course. I see nothing in the thread to make me suspect anyone is giving bad information about course content. OTOH, while I'm not a fan of split fins I have used them and there's nothing about them that would prevent a student from completing all the NAUI required skills. I also agree with ReefHound that changing the rules after the fact is dishonest. If you have unusual requirements, you are obligated to twell your students before they pay their money.

My girlfriend in taking her OW class with plans to do the referral dives in the Caribbean. She doesn't have tons of money so she is borrowing a few of the basic items for the class. She bought booties and a mask but is borrowing fins, and snorkel. The owner of the LDS asked her to bring in the gear she was borrowing so he could make sure it was OK to use.

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power. They are doing Naui and he specifically mentioned they wouldn't be stiff enough to provide enough power for the rescue portion of the class. :confused:

Am I crazy?? This seems to me like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Is he just trying to sell her more gear? (that was my opinion) SHe also told me he was a "hard-sell" on the other gear and even tried to sell her a wetsuit. Is there any reasonshe can't use split fins??

Please let me know what you guys think. I think he's a scammer.

Thanks in advance.

Email me at david@davidgallo.com with your address and I will send you a pair of small Scubapro Jet Fins with my complements. The fins are 70's vintage but still in fine shape.

Just try to imagine that LDS saying they are not worthy of any course or application!

I see you are in Fairfield CT. I know most of the shops around there. You don't need to name the shop, just let me know what town it is in - Norwalk, Bridgeport, Mariden, Rocky Hill, or other town?

The only facility that I can find that teach's mostly NAUI up there is Capt S...s..small store in low rent area of Stamford.I have sent them emails about what they offer instructors to teach there as they have a "help wanted " ad on their site and never rec'd a reply.Never heard ANYTHING about them good or bad.
Noel is up at Orbit Marine and I stopped up there one time and introduced myself.He has a sales floor and classroom on site,no pool and boats in LI Sound.Have heard good things about them.
If the OP is needing a different facility give me a pm and perhaps I can work out something with them to get all academics and confined water skills done before their trip-I have access to a classroom and pool in Westchester NY.

The issue here isn't that the instructor won't allow split fins because of safety. The issue is that he doesn't permit his students to use them and tries to sell you on buying fins from him.

He is allowed to say his students can't use split fins.

He is naturally going to try to sell you equipment, that's kind of the point behind owning a dive shop.

But he should have outlined all of his rules about the class before your GF paid for the class. Someone who has never been certified will have no idea that there is a difference between split fins and non-split fins. He needs to make sure his prospective students are aware of his requirements.

As far as split fins and safety, he's full of crap. I did my first two checkout dives in regular fins. I got horrific cramps doing the tired diver tow. My LDS owner was my instructor. He told me to eat a big steak and drink lots of water before my next two dives. And he brought me a set of split fins to use on my second set of dives. No cramping. Do I trust my instructor? He's certified over 1000 divers, he's a PADI CD, he's trained all of the local rescue squads. Yeah, I think I can trust his judgement.

I'm now a PADI DM. I still use the same set of split fins. I've used them through my AOW, Rescue, and DM courses. I've had an issue with not having enough propulsion on ONE DIVE. I was diving the Spiegel Grove. I was finning as hard as I could and still moving backwards. Everybody else was smart enough to get down the side of the wreck and out of the current!

The answer is simple -- Your GF needs to find another shop to get her certification from. She doesn't trust this guy and she's not going to trust his instruction. That's going to leave her anxious in the water and will affect your vacation.

My girlfriend in taking her OW class with plans to do the referral dives in the Caribbean. She doesn't have tons of money so she is borrowing a few of the basic items for the class. She bought booties and a mask but is borrowing fins, and snorkel. The owner of the LDS asked her to bring in the gear she was borrowing so he could make sure it was OK to use.

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power. They are doing Naui and he specifically mentioned they wouldn't be stiff enough to provide enough power for the rescue portion of the class. :confused:

Am I crazy?? This seems to me like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Is he just trying to sell her more gear? (that was my opinion) SHe also told me he was a "hard-sell" on the other gear and even tried to sell her a wetsuit. Is there any reason she can't use split fins??

Please let me know what you guys think. I think he's a scammer.

Thanks in advance.

The only reason he talked down the fins is they were not one of his brands and of course he wants to sell his products.

Atomic split fins are a great fin. Use equipment that fits well and your comfortable with. When it comes to any purchases, I recomend doing a little of your own research before talking to a salesman.

As my dad says, "That's bull****."

In the words of JKF
....And so, my fellow divers: ask not what your LDS can do for you - ask what you can do for your LDS.

couv

Back
Top Bottom