Dishonest LDS ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin; thanks for sending Liz my way for her ow course..I knew of some of the issues she had at Samms,but perhaps not all.She was a pleasure to have in a class.She did all that was required of her in the class and I did did not have to resolve any major issues other than what any other ow student may have had.I wish all my students were as good,she really applied herself.I'm also pleased that I was able to work out the class for her at her schedule.
I understand that she had a great time in Bonaire for her ow training dives with the referral that I gave her.
Hope to see you guys soon.
E

Thank you Emilio.

If anyone is looking for an instructor in the NY metro area, I highly recommend Oly5050. He does a great job. My girlfriend absolutely loved him and enjoyed the class experience. He saved us and our vacation from the negative impact of Capt. Saam.

If you live higher up in Connecticut & can't make the trip to New York, I understand that Rex Dive Center in Norwalk creates a good atmosphere and has good instructors. I have not trained with them but made purchases there. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I haven't been here in a while... but I wanted to answer the two questions I was asked.

1. There is no such thing as a $2.99 generic mask from Walmart that properly fits a face (any face) and I stand behind that one.

2. We match or beat any advertised price. You can shop the web right on our showroom floor, find your best price then ask us to match or beat it. Try that in your local dive shop. Welcome to the finest LDS experience in the world.

My girlfriend in taking her OW class with plans to do the referral dives in the Caribbean. She doesn't have tons of money so she is borrowing a few of the basic items for the class. She bought booties and a mask but is borrowing fins, and snorkel. The owner of the LDS asked her to bring in the gear she was borrowing so he could make sure it was OK to use.

She brought in a pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins which did fit her feet well. The owner told her she couldn't use them because they were designed for wreck and cave diving and wouldn't give her adequate propulsion power. They are doing Naui and he specifically mentioned they wouldn't be stiff enough to provide enough power for the rescue portion of the class. :confused:

Am I crazy?? This seems to me like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Is he just trying to sell her more gear? (that was my opinion) SHe also told me he was a "hard-sell" on the other gear and even tried to sell her a wetsuit. Is there any reason she can't use split fins??

Please let me know what you guys think. I think he's a scammer.

Thanks in advance.

Ya, there split! You will be kicked out of most caves with them! anyone selling them that hard is split in the head! Find some good light stiff fin and learn with it! I was going to say split fins make good paper wights, but they don't! :no Go somewhere else, walk to the nearest exit and then run as fast as you can! They were designed to sell fins in an industry that wasn't selling many fins because regular fins aren't glamorous and they last forever! He couldn't be more wrong about the wreck thing! Unless you want to be silted out?

If he lies like that what else does he do ... get her out of there contact his cert agency the BBB and everything you can think of ... Once you find an Idiot like that lose him like a bad habit ... 99.9999 percent of LDS's are very honest and have the students best interest at heart.

A person like that hurts what others took so long to built. If you and her tell 10 divers and they tell ... I can't stand a lier that takes advantage of a newbie diver!!!!!!!!

For your own mind ... look up reviews on split fins comfort power etc etc. See what is said remember everyone has an opinion. Read and try them in a pool to form your own.

I personally use the Atomic split fins and have used them on many of my dives.They have great power and work better than my Apollo split fins. The Aollos seam a bit to flimsy for power.
That is why I like the Atomics. I have used several diferent styles of fins and the ATOMICS RULE!!!!
That LDS is an Ass and Should be run out of business if that is how he treats customers.

Just my RANT!!!

I'm all for supporting your local LDS, but how long is it going to take before they realize they are running new divers off with their high prices and lines of bull*****. She will be fine in the split fins.

I dive splits and I absolutely love them. I own 5 different fins and have learned what works and what does not, for me, in variying conditions.

I started with the Scuba Pro Twin Jets. I like them a lot. They work best for me in moderate current and surf.

I won a pair of AquaLung Blade and while it took some getting used it, I began to prefer it when there was a bit rougher surf bit still moderate current. The shores I dive, some are always turmultuous, and others (1/8 mile away and very calm).

After losing one of the blades in the surf on a night dive in very rough conditions, I then went and purchased OMS Slipstream fins. To be frank, I never got used to those, they were way too stiff for me. So I used them just 4-5 times and gave up. Went back to the Scuba Pro splits.

Late, I purchased the Scuba Pro Twin Jet Max fins (after upgrading to rock boots and needing new fins to that fit) and they, at that time, became my new favorite. Took me about 2 dives to get used to them, but, for me, they provide more propulsion and are still gentle on the effort required to use them. I use them in moderate or greater than moderate surf, and noticeable current and they work well. In my opinion, better than the original Twin Jets I purchased. They do have different bouyancy characteristics, though. I had to work out something that worked for me but I'm glad I did.

Now, I picked up some Scuba Pro (no, I'm not loyal to SP, just works out this way) Jet Fins and after putting the right springs (all my fins have springs), they have become my preferred fins. They work in any conditions or current, and they require minimal effort and they propel very well. Took me a few dives to get used to but I dive them nearly excusively now.

My wife switched recently from the Scuba Pro Twin Jets to the Twin Jet Max (after upgrading her boots to rock boots, too, needed fins that fit). She used to have issues and feel exhausted during dives. Never could pin point the reasons. After changing the fins, she is much more comfortable, has energy like a toddler, and generally feels better after dives. So, in short, she also noticed a difference. She will only dive in calm and ideal conditions. I thought she was just getting better at diving then one day we dived and she used the older Twin Jet fins again and I never heard the end of it. She was struggling in the current, having a hard time getting through the surf, and so on. We switched her to the Twin Jet Max and she bolted right through the surf like there was nothing to it and we completed a rather enjoyable dive. Even more enjoyable to me because I didn't have to hear about her discomforts anymore.

Now, I have those amphib fins that tilt up when walking or normal fins when swimming. Haven't tried them yet but will maybe on my boat trip next week.

In short, there's nothing wrong with split fins unless the shop wants to sell you something. Also, the shop operator in question might just have a personal preference and might genuinely feel he's doing your friend a favor. Regardless, one things I've learned about gear shopping is that the purchaser should learn from their own mistakes or successes and form their own opinion without undue pressure unless there is a REAL safety concern. Splits or not, are not safety issues in my opinion unless there are very powerful currents in the local diving areas. Even then, everyone is different and in my case, I found splits that work better than other splits for heavy currents. So it's still a non-issue.

Thanks,
Shawn

I can see the point of split fins not having the thrust of paddle fins (like riding a 10 speed in 1st gear, peddle like crazy go nowhere) but if the fins are in good condition then it is up to the diver to decide what gear is desired. I have some of those stiff paddle fins and don't like them (that 10 speed again but trying to climb a hill in 10th) I would ask the LDS to be more specific as to why it would be necessary for a beginner to use such an extreme fin.
i'm not even in class yet and changing gear already
but if i'm ever trying to swim up a fast current i will have stiff fins

Back
Top Bottom