Disturbing advice given

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Gear color, where did that come from? 603 views, and only about 5 relevent posts to tell you your a troll. Hijacked. Doesn't a thread have to have a solid foundation in a relevent topic to be considered a candidate for a hijacking? More of a Seinfeld thread this one is. Much to do about nothing.

If this is going to be a train wreck , I'm glad your on it mempilot

This whole thread is about the use of common sense in order to save your ( not you personally) life. If you put a coral reef above your own life than go for it, Darwin needs to work also.

UP, you know you can just ban me and stop trying to make me cross the line . You see, the anger management course and meds are helping :)

Uncle Pug:
ask Jeeves, Google or even Yahoo. :D

That said, the term is misapplied all the time. There are those who go phishing without resorting to trolling. There is lunking and casting and trapping and netting and... well there are a lot of ways to do it... even noodling!

Don't you trust us to tell her?

Nova,

Once again, you fail to read posts. I'm with ya on the save your life before the reef thing, but in context with how you brought it up, it's a troll. I've even bolded part of it in case your eyesight is as weak as your intentions. BTW, I'm still trying to figure out the gear color thing???

From my earlier post:

To OG: You've never been caught in a vertical flow, have you?

Simply doing what you say will result in a potentially deadly situation. For instance, you are caught in a downflow and you start inflating your bc to try and maintain bouyancy. Then you find yourself out of the flow all of a sudden. Embolism waiting to happen. How might your method keep you safe in a downflow?

Anyway, Nova is right, and I think 99.9 percent of divers will agree with that opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiniongirl
Although in these situations one may hold on to a coral, one's best solution (rather than a temporary one) would be to simply calmly ascend.

Grabbing on to a coral and then subsequently getting stung will do little to ease the situation. Some coral will break off, again, doing nothing to assist.

Get out of a life threatening situation by establishing positive bouyancy, inflating the bc and dropping the weights if necessary.

I agree that human life is a higher priority, but holding onto coral in the above situations do not solve the problem, and may in fact exacerbate the problem, if the diver grabs on to the wrong species of coral!

divebunnie:
ok I know I should probably know this, and in hindsight it is going to be really obvious… what is a TROLL? I can guess what you mean, but what does it stand for???
Usage of the word is various. In some usage, a troll is a communication such as a usenet post, and a troller is the author of such communication. In media where communication isn't discrete, a troll is the creator of such communication.

A troll is deliberately crafted to provoke others with the intention of wasting their time and energy. A troll is a time thief. To troll is to steal from people. That is what makes trolling heinous.

Trolls can be identified by their disengagement from a conversation or argument. They do not believe what they say, but merely say it for effect.

Trolls are motivated by a desire for attention by people and can't or won't acquire it in a productive manner.

Someone may be insufferable, infuriating, fanatical, and an ignorant idiot to boot without being a troll.

Also note that a troll isn't necessarily insulting, snide, or even impolite. Only the crudest, most obvious, forms of trolling can be identified so easily.

If you find yourself patiently explaining, at length and in great detail, some obscure point to someone who isn't even being polite to you, then you are probably being trolled.

I find the subtle humor so funny. :D
dlndavid:
Usage of the word is various. In some usage, a troll is a communication such as a usenet post, and a troller is the author of such communication. In media where communication isn't discrete, a troll is the creator of such communication.

A troll is deliberately crafted to provoke others with the intention of wasting their time and energy. A troll is a time thief. To troll is to steal from people. That is what makes trolling heinous.

Trolls can be identified by their disengagement from a conversation or argument. They do not believe what they say, but merely say it for effect.

Trolls are motivated by a desire for attention by people and can't or won't acquire it in a productive manner.

Someone may be insufferable, infuriating, fanatical, and an ignorant idiot to boot without being a troll.

Also note that a troll isn't necessarily insulting, snide, or even impolite. Only the crudest, most obvious, forms of trolling can be identified so easily.

If you find yourself patiently explaining, at length and in great detail, some obscure point to someone who isn't even being polite to you, then you are probably being trolled.

whatshisname:
This whole thread is about the use of common sense in order to save your ( not you personally) life. If you put a coral reef above your own life than go for it, Darwin needs to work also.

Common sense means you should probably realise that the original advice was aimed at photographers who had no buoancy and the lifesaving side of things weren't even an afterthought :D

I love common sense :dance_2:

mempilot:
Nova,

Once again, you fail to read posts. I'm with ya on the save your life before the reef thing, but in context with how you brought it up, it's a troll. I've even bolded part of it in case your eyesight is as weak as your intentions. BTW, I'm still trying to figure out the gear color thing???

From my earlier post:

To OG: You've never been caught in a vertical flow, have you?

Simply doing what you say will result in a potentially deadly situation. For instance, you are caught in a downflow and you start inflating your bc to try and maintain bouyancy. Then you find yourself out of the flow all of a sudden. Embolism waiting to happen. How might your method keep you safe in a downflow?

Anyway, Nova is right, and I think 99.9 percent of divers will agree with that opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiniongirl
Although in these situations one may hold on to a coral, one's best solution (rather than a temporary one) would be to simply calmly ascend.

Grabbing on to a coral and then subsequently getting stung will do little to ease the situation. Some coral will break off, again, doing nothing to assist.

Get out of a life threatening situation by establishing positive bouyancy, inflating the bc and dropping the weights if necessary.

I agree that human life is a higher priority, but holding onto coral in the above situations do not solve the problem, and may in fact exacerbate the problem, if the diver grabs on to the wrong species of coral!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom