Dive accident in Hamlin, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hamlin (western Monroe county) FD and EMS was dispatched to the lake today for a reposrted diving accident with a non breathing diver. According to a responder on scene I spoke with, There were 3 divers from a Buffalo area collage there to retrieve a piece of equipment in 104' of water. Some one on the surface noticed something strange and went down to investigate and found the diver unresponsive on the bottom with his full face mask partially dislodged. This report is unconfirmed , just a report from a responder who was on scene.
Lets keep our thoughts and prayer with the divers and thier family.

Dan

My deep condolence to his family.

Buffalo State College Professor Died While Scuba Diving Off Lake Ontario

Oct 19, 2007 09:42 PM EDT
(Rochester, NY, October 19, 2007) - - He was a proud father of four and a passionate professor who dedicated his career to saving the Great Lakes. Friday, Captain John Freidhoff died while scuba diving off Lake Ontario near Rochester. News 4's Alysha Palumbo reports from our newsroom tonight.
Captain John, as he was affectionately known, was a professor at Buffalo State College for the past 13 years. He was a big part of the Great Lakes Center and the community. Captain John Freidhoff, seen here at the Buffalo State College Great Lakes Center, where he worked, was a licensed boat captain, a Coast Guard reservist, and a certified scuba diver. That's why his friends and loved ones say they were so shocked to hear that he died while scuba diving Friday afternoon.
James Miles, witness, "A diver that was down about 140 feet they said and he was laying on the bottom without his mask on."
A Buffalo State College spokesperson says Freidhoff and his colleague, Caleb Basiliko, were diving in the water near Sandy Creek Boat Launch in Hamlin to try to recover some lost equipment for SUNY Brockport.
James Miles, witness, "Just basically they didn't know what happened, he was down there by himself, the other diver had come up to retrieve a tool or something and they seen the air bubbles were kind of funny so they went back down and he was lying there."
Fisherman James Miles says he watched as the crew performed CPR on Friedhoff to try to revive him, but it was too late. The 46-year-old boat captain died at Lakeside Hospital. He leaves behind a wife and four children.
A Buffalo State College spokesperson says they are very saddened by the news of Captain John's death. They say he was very committed to the environment and the Great Lakes, and very dedicated to the college.

My condolences to his family and friends. I used to live in that part of NY state for a couple of years just out of college. Tragic.

very sad.

The report mentions that his buddy went up to retrieve a "tool or something". Not something that I would think occurs on a 140' dive... Anyone know if he was on air, or some different mix? Maybe didn't have a good plan for self-rescue if his ffm failed, ie- no spare mask and standard reg?

I am very saddened by this news. It is never easy when a fellow scuba diver dies. We may never know what happened.
I just pray for John's family and friends, to be strong in dealing with the loss of this amazing man. Though I didn't know John, I know he touched many lives in his personal life, in education, and in being a advocate for the environment.
He will be missed,
Jacquie

My condolences as well. I am former resident of that area and my parents both taught at the college parttime for a while when I was a little girl. Tragic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom