Dive Adventures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on a question that was raised here on ScubaBoard, I was planning a trip to dive in a very remote location on James Bay. This was a 20+ hour drive from home and would have been a small native community of only a couple hundred native. This would have been 10 hours from a reasonable sized town. In fact, we were going up as far as the roads went. From that point North, there was nothing - no roads. The site would have had very little human exposure to it from a diving stand point but the thought of exploring in a remote location like that.......that is an adventure to me. I am still looking for a location like that......

Sadly I have all but scrubbed the idea because the infrastructure was farther from what we needed than hoped.......I will pull that trip (or one like it) together someday.

New sites, travel, etc...of course...but most of the "adventures" that I bend folks ears with are mishaps of one kind of another.

For example, I was trading messages with an acquaintance last night and was reminded of the time a kelp harvester passed over my buddy and me while diving in San Diego. :shocked2:

Well if you want to make your eyes "POP" and take on something really special...TONGA may be the place for you as you have the same dream as me...Unexplored Historic Wrecks...as early as 1616!!!..and more than one!!!...we have been waiting for some time for all the peices to fall into place...and that is now...I am pretty certain you may be reading about it in the news within the next 18 months...the situation is something that no one would have ever guessed and something we stumbled across three years ago and started peicing together a puzzel....this is totally a once only ground floor opportunity and after we have dived them for the first time..there will not be onther "first time"...hard to believe hey!!..but true......you can get all the info on www.bluetreasure.me we have just one spot left for this our first real dive season....Life hey!!!

I believe once you start down on every dive you start an adventure. Some better than others but always unique. For me the most adventurous dives always included unexpected sea life. Manta Rays, marlin, and a salt water crocodile top my list. Being in the water with creatures as large or larger than I am is an adventure hard to duplicate.

Based on a question that was raised here on ScubaBoard, I was planning a trip to dive in a very remote location on James Bay. This was a 20+ hour drive from home and would have been a small native community of only a couple hundred native. This would have been 10 hours from a reasonable sized town. In fact, we were going up as far as the roads went. From that point North, there was nothing - no roads. The site would have had very little human exposure to it from a diving stand point but the thought of exploring in a remote location like that.......that is an adventure to me. I am still looking for a location like that......

Sadly I have all but scrubbed the idea because the infrastructure was farther from what we needed than hoped.......I will pull that trip (or one like it) together someday.

I took the train from Cochrane to Moosonee, Ont. (on Moose R. near it's mouth) years ago. If you could take your gear on the train, you could do what I did--hire a native to take you out in his boat to the shores of James Bay (if summer, beware of huge horseflies--if not summer do not go). There, you may be able to do a shore dive or maybe even from his boat. The boat trip cost me $40 in 1978. Unfortunately I was not into diving back then, but I got some great photos.

I have been in contact with a friend who has an opportunity to do a rather large project, mapping an area of pretty unexplored coastline and doing exploratory dives to see what's there. This is in an area with not much diving infrastructure, and the whole thing would be one big adventure. I'm going to make it happen!

To me every dive is an adventure.... but dropping in on some numbers that somebody got from somebody is the absolute best. Those dives are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.
Eric

New place, new critters, new cluster. In the ocean there is always the chance of the unexpected showing up at any time so I am one of those for which every ocean dive is an adventure.

Now, a dive in the local quarry with some buddies is fun and relaxing but I wouldn't call it an an adventure.... Well there was the time we entered in a windstorm in late fall, and tried to make the far back wall (its a 41 acre quarry) running through new territory, and the sun came out and we found ourselves in a snow storm made up of fresh water jellies. Maybe not an adventure but it was a different and magical journey.

I find most dives an adventure, but I suppose that an iceberg, deep wreck or cave dive can get my heart pumping. And there's always Sat... :)

Out8.jpg

iceberg14.jpg

UKW India 92 04.jpg

Attachments

• Hermes24.jpg
    Hermes24.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
At the moment, the advanced sidemount class I'm taking here in Playa feels kind of adventurous. Major restrictions, no vis, what's not to like?

Rebreather training in July is going to a whole different adventure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom