Dive alert on rented gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks-

I can't quite swing the price of a new regulator or bc yet, but I'd love to get a DiveAlert.

Is this just foolish newbie talk? The db1 says it fits "all standard inflators" but is it kosher to put it on rental gear?

Hi! I'm a newbie, and forked out for a surface alert. It has a standard low pressure inflator fitting at each end (male and female) so it should just fit in line with just about any BCD and low pressure hose, even rental units. Just don't forget to remove it when you turn the BCD back in after rental! :)

No problem, they fit. (older air2 type reg/inflator combo systems being the exception.)

Just please use it sparingly, they are horribly bothsome to anything within earshot.

I've seen people travel with them and add them to rental gear.

Cameron

Hi! I'm a newbie, and forked out for a surface alert. It has a standard low pressure inflator fitting at each end (male and female) so it should just fit in line with just about any BCD and low pressure hose, even rental units. Just don't forget to remove it when you turn the BCD back in after rental! :)
Oh man -- I can *totally* see myself forgetting to take it off....

No problem, they fit. (older air2 type reg/inflator combo systems being the exception.)

Just please use it sparingly, they are horribly bothsome to anything within earshot.

I've seen people travel with them and add them to rental gear.

Cameron
Thanks! I heard it's absolute misery if it goes off around anyone..

What's a "dive alert"??

It's a whistle that's attached to the inflator hose, in between the hose from the tank and the inflator controls. Instead of blowing a whistle with your own breath, you use the air from the tank.

On a liveaboard in Komodo, I had the occasion to try both a manual whistle and a DiveAlert. Both did not get the attention of the tender. It's hard to say how effective it is.

The DiveAlert also seems to retain water inside of it, which will likely cause it to corrode at some point.

Dive Alert and other such air horn like devices should be treated like a regulator if you want it to last. Rinse, operate in fresh water, blow it dry while connected to the tank. Yes, PLEASE muffle it in your hand when you do.

Dive Alert and other such air horn like devices should be treated like a regulator if you want it to last. Rinse, operate in fresh water, blow it dry while connected to the tank. Yes, PLEASE muffle it in your hand when you do.

I've rinsed mine with the reg but it always seems to trap water deep within it. After a final soak and cleaning in a hotel, I can get the reg dry, but the DiveAlert always has water inside (no matter how aggressively I shake it) and I don't have my own tanks to dry it with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom