Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I clip stuff on with aluminum carabiners instead of bolt snaps because I find bolt snaps hard to operate especially with small hands in gloves. I also like the pretty andonized colors (Christmas Tree!) it helps me know what I’m grabbing. I was told a line could easily pass into one of my carabiners so I went into a hardware store and pressed a line against a bolt snap... it went right in same as the carabiner. Only if a line were trapped in my carabiner I could easily open it and get it out. I used to indoor rock climb. It’s not like rock climbers aren’t concerned about safety and ropes LOL

I clip stuff on with aluminum carabiners instead of bolt snaps because I find bolt snaps hard to operate especially with small hands in gloves. I also like the pretty andonized colors (Christmas Tree!) it helps me know what I’m grabbing. I was told a line could easily pass into one of my carabiners so I went into a hardware store and pressed a line against a bolt snap... it went right in same as the carabiner. Only if a line were trapped in my carabiner I could easily open it and get it out. I used to indoor rock climb. It’s not like rock climbers aren’t concerned about safety and ropes LOL

It seems to me that since bolt snaps- especially brass bolt snaps, trace their roots to maritime use, that may be a key reason why their stature in the diving world is greater than carabiners. They are more robust in construction, surely (unless you spend big for professional climbers carabiners at REI and such - but I too find that since I have "angry old man" syndrome and my fingers are all busted up and broken up from a career on the gridiron, the carabiners are my preferred choice nowadays. Easier to operate and I don't get all upset and mad trying to manipulate that tiny little thumbcatch

I too have a thing for anodized metals. I like the candy green and red.

That was Diver.net/California Scuba Diving BBS and the Kane vs Kurtis Wars, 20 years ago The "Strokes" and the ones who were Doing It Right (instead of wrong) and yeah, Scubaboard is a Sunday Ladies Bridge and tea afternoon compared to that
Even the Diver.net stuff was tame compared to rec.scuba. Chris would delete most of MHK's profanity-laced tirades as he tried to be just like George Irvine but they were common on usenet. The thing I find most amusing is that the ones who shouted the loudest about everyone else not "Doing It Right" are no longer diving.

Yikes, the pressure is on. These are not specific suggestions but some of these images might help inspire:

View attachment 448693

View attachment 448694

View attachment 448697

View attachment 448698

View attachment 448699
I think I will disturb the love-in by saying your last image (complaining without a solution being* whining) is complete and absolute nonsense and indicates an utter lack of experience in problem solving (please feel free to imagine some more insults here).

The first step to solving a problem is to know you have a problem. Not everyone with a problem is in a position to solve it. Quite likely those in a position to solve do not know the problem exists.

I guess I am taking this thread too seriously, but I see people properly messed up by this partic7lar point of view quite often.

Even the Diver.net stuff was tame compared to rec.scuba. Chris would delete most of MHK's profanity-laced tirades as he tried to be just like George Irvine but they were common on usenet. The thing I find most amusing is that the ones who shouted the loudest about everyone else not "Doing It Right" are no longer diving.

I think they got tired of going on Chamber rides.

This is why I love our invasions. Crappy divers get sorted out pretty quickly into good divers. :D Our Bonaire trip was fun.

Pete!!!

Our Bonaire trip WAS NOT FUN!!!!

It was a total and complete effing BLAST! We Loved it.

Thank you, Roxanne and CardZard,

markm
PS: Your OP is spot on. Who cares what someone else is doing unless it is dangerous or harmful to a resource.

I was on a skiing forum for a while where someone wearing goofy old ski gear, like maybe a fluorescent 1980’s hilarious outfit was called a “gaper” or a “yard sale”, often accompanied by pics. Is there a similar scuba slang? And where are the pics?

Back
Top Bottom