Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I will disturb the love-in by saying your last image (complaining without a solution being* whining) is complete and absolute nonsense and indicates an utter lack of experience in problem solving (please feel free to imagine some more insults here).

The first step to solving a problem is to know you have a problem. Not everyone with a problem is in a position to solve it. Quite likely those in a position to solve do not know the problem exists.

I guess I am taking this thread too seriously, but I see people properly messed up by this partic7lar point of view quite often.

Hi Ken,

People in top-down command and control hierarchies usually view bottom-up feed back as whining. You are correct, a thoughtful critique of some action or method is not whining, it is constructive criticism.

I am sometimes criticized for having my mask on my forehead while gearing up for a dive. My pony bottle is jeered at and I am asked how bad my air consumption is. My spare mask and two computers often receive the horizontal shaking head gesture. The above reactions to my diving style are not critiques but instantaneous judgements by sheep who usually follow group-think.

A few DMs have pushed me aside to show me how to rig my own kit. On one dive--my DM pushed the offending DM out of the way and told the offending DM that Mark (me) is a REALLY GOOD DIVER, so leave his rig alone!

It is my dive, let me dive it.

thanks,
markm

Something old something new something borrowed something blue... when I see an unusual piece of old gear mixed in with newer well maintained gear that’s usually an experienced diver, and I wonder why that old piece stood the test of time. What’s your favorite “ oh this old thing?”

Christmas trees.

Is there a similar scuba slang?
The closest would be "Frankenreg", refering to a regulator set up with various manufacturers for first, second and octo.

I am working on “frankenwetsuit”, a cressi I cut the neo flaps and zippers off ankles and wrists in a fit of resentment at not being able to doff&don... now it is only 3 mil in those areas. considering doing something about that big bubble on the back, maybe cut some neoprene out and also glue some leftover under the armpits so I can raise my arms comfortably. If I do this it will really look scary. Why are 7mil wetsuits designed to force your arms down by your sides???

Hi Ken,

People in top-down command and control hierarchies usually view bottom-up feed back as whining. You are correct, a thoughtful critique of some action or method is not whining, it is constructive criticism.

I am sometimes criticized for having my mask on my forehead while gearing up for a dive. My pony bottle is jeered at and I am asked how bad my air consumption is. My spare mask and two computers often receive the horizontal shaking head gesture. The above reactions to my diving style are not critiques but instantaneous judgements by sheep who usually follow group-think.

A few DMs have pushed me aside to show me how to rig my own kit. On one dive--my DM pushed the offending DM out of the way and told the offending DM that Mark (me) is a REALLY GOOD DIVER, so leave his rig alone!

It is my dive, let me dive it.

thanks,
markm
Mostly I am talking about when you develop a product or system it is not perfect and people complaining about issues is how it gets better. Sometimes those complaints come with suggestions about solutions but often the value is simply in identifying that there is a problem at all. Then work can be done to solve it given whatever other constraints exist. User provided solutions might not consider those constraints.

Mostly I was just poking fun at the meme thing.

It's not my bag but I do love looking at divers in that Lime Green, Pink and Hi Vis Yellow and Orange wetsuit, fins and mask outfits. I start getting Frankie Goes To Hollywood and WHAM! songs stuck in my head during the dive. Those types are usually gregarious, wealthy, single gals traveling in groups from Japan and China.

Beware though that if you go to Fiji and The Beqa Lagoon Shark dive, they won't let you wear anything but black that day. The giant Tiger Sharks are VERY curious with the bright colors and I hear from the local boys that they'll (the sharks) single you out for a "special" kind of attention. Nothing harmful, just nuzzling and cuddling a little bit. :) natch . . . Love is in the air . .

Eeks! Well those are fishing lure colors! Bad idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom