Dive AND Snorkel Trip in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We'll be at Kaanapali beach for a week in August. Two in my family dive and two don't. I was looking for a trip where both us divers and the non-diving snorkelers can enjoy at the same time. Any suggestions?

I looked at one outfit (forgot who it was now) and they had a very nice snorkel trip on a big catamaran. Problem is price. The snorkeling members were $125 and a dive was another $70! Holy mackeral!:shocked2: Hoping to find something more reasonable.

its expensive there, I will be there staying at royal lahaina from the 16-23 of august. Not many dive operators on the Lahaina side, Lahaina Divers, and extended Horizons, for boats, but there are some decent shore dives that might work for you and be much more cost effective, and you can get a guide (Shaka Divers) he is a member on this site, and always gets great reviews. My daughter and I dive, my wife and little one dont, so were are in the same boat, I just send them to the spa while I am diving, seems to work out well for us!

One option is to rent some gear and head over to Mile Marker 14 on the road south. Good spot for both shore diving and snorkeling, calm sand entry and and relatively uncrowded.

Just ignore that sign with the shark on it :D

Understand the sticker shock but you may want to consider this...

The boat you quote the prices for includes an excellent breakfast, mid morning snack, catered lunch, and wine, beer, and champagne if you please. There are inwater guides for the snorkelers-they lead a tour, find and identify marine life for the snorkelers as well as ensure their safety. There are a handful of divers aboard with gear that is less than 1 year old and a very limited number to each dive group either 4 or 7 depending on which site you choose to book. That boat is made to hold 99 but is only booked to 60max so it truly lives up to it's hype. The amenities onboard more than make up for the price when you consider all you get. The inwater sites are selected specifically to meet the interests of both snorkelers and divers.

You can get a trip a little cheaper (still in the 150.00-175.00 range for divers and usually about 90.00-110.00 for snorkelers) with almost any SCUBA boat. However, that means that the boat will usually be moored in about 60 ft of water or more for the first dive and 40 to 50 for the second. Most SCUBA dive charters are also 5 hours long which accomodates the dive plans, movement between sites, and surface interval/gear prep for the divers. For the snorkelers this usually means 2 hours or less of in water time Also, this is usually in water too deep to enjoy the snorkeling. That can be a real drag for the snorkelers especially if it is a rough water day as the divers will be able to get under the surface conditions but the snorkelers will be subject to them on or off the boat. A boat with a combined agenda will find a sot with in the lee of the winds or waves as much as possible to make the experience good for both divers and snorkelers.

There are also other large boats that cater to snorkelers that will take along a few divers. They do cost less if this is your top priority. Their amenities are limited, they are booked near to their coast guard rated capacity, their crew to guest ratio is much less, meaning their in water support for snorkelers are crew members on kayaks for safety but no in water guidance. Diving is secondary, as they still go to the parts of the reef that they originally went to when they only catered to snorkelers. They provide basic food but nothing like the luxery sailing cat you have looked at. This is obviously still preferred by some and I am not meaning to belittle them, they have their place but be sure that you really want the bargain trip. Most of these will still be around $100.00 per snorkeler and $160.00 or so per diver. That kind of puts the other boat in perspective.

Yes, I work in the industry here and have been out with almost all of the boats at least once. Unless your snorkelers really enjoy deep sites and are very hardy when our trade winds start to blow, for their sake I would do one of two things. I would choose the luxery sailing cat if you only have one day to go or I would suggest the divers book a SCUBA charter on one day and join the snorkelers on a snorkel only trip out of the Kihei Boat ramp on another day. There are several 2-3 hour snorkel tours that would not take most of a say but still give you about 2 hours of snorkeling time. If you choose to go to a different destination on the SCUBA charter you are still bound to enjoy the snorkel charter as well.

Happy planning

The cost of doing business on Maui is very high and the prices reflect that.

Hard to find a snorkel boat with good diving. It's a compromise at best.

Very good points. I appreciate the post.:wink:

Understand the sticker shock but you may want to consider this...

The boat you quote the prices for includes an excellent breakfast, mid morning snack, catered lunch, and wine, beer, and champagne if you please. There are inwater guides for the snorkelers-they lead a tour, find and identify marine life for the snorkelers as well as ensure their safety. There are a handful of divers aboard with gear that is less than 1 year old and a very limited number to each dive group either 4 or 7 depending on which site you choose to book. That boat is made to hold 99 but is only booked to 60max so it truly lives up to it's hype. The amenities onboard more than make up for the price when you consider all you get. The inwater sites are selected specifically to meet the interests of both snorkelers and divers.

You can get a trip a little cheaper (still in the 150.00-175.00 range for divers and usually about 90.00-110.00 for snorkelers) with almost any SCUBA boat. However, that means that the boat will usually be moored in about 60 ft of water or more for the first dive and 40 to 50 for the second. Most SCUBA dive charters are also 5 hours long which accomodates the dive plans, movement between sites, and surface interval/gear prep for the divers. For the snorkelers this usually means 2 hours or less of in water time Also, this is usually in water too deep to enjoy the snorkeling. That can be a real drag for the snorkelers especially if it is a rough water day as the divers will be able to get under the surface conditions but the snorkelers will be subject to them on or off the boat. A boat with a combined agenda will find a sot with in the lee of the winds or waves as much as possible to make the experience good for both divers and snorkelers.

There are also other large boats that cater to snorkelers that will take along a few divers. They do cost less if this is your top priority. Their amenities are limited, they are booked near to their coast guard rated capacity, their crew to guest ratio is much less, meaning their in water support for snorkelers are crew members on kayaks for safety but no in water guidance. Diving is secondary, as they still go to the parts of the reef that they originally went to when they only catered to snorkelers. They provide basic food but nothing like the luxery sailing cat you have looked at. This is obviously still preferred by some and I am not meaning to belittle them, they have their place but be sure that you really want the bargain trip. Most of these will still be around $100.00 per snorkeler and $160.00 or so per diver. That kind of puts the other boat in perspective.

Yes, I work in the industry here and have been out with almost all of the boats at least once. Unless your snorkelers really enjoy deep sites and are very hardy when our trade winds start to blow, for their sake I would do one of two things. I would choose the luxery sailing cat if you only have one day to go or I would suggest the divers book a SCUBA charter on one day and join the snorkelers on a snorkel only trip out of the Kihei Boat ramp on another day. There are several 2-3 hour snorkel tours that would not take most of a say but still give you about 2 hours of snorkeling time. If you choose to go to a different destination on the SCUBA charter you are still bound to enjoy the snorkel charter as well.

Happy planning

I'm guessing they're referring to Trilogy.
Trilogy's website says they do not offer Scuba.

Link: Trilogy website

Two years ago, we did the morning sail and snorkel trip on Paragon. It was a really great trip, but they too did not offer scuba, probably because of the reasons stated above in this thread. There are 4 of us (2 AOW, 1 OW, 1 non-diver) going to Maui next week, for 4 days, and we're probably leaning towards doing the Paragon trip again, then doing some shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom