Dive boat attire and etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re fins: When to put them on depends on the boat. On a little boat, where you will roll into the water, put them on before your BCD. On a big boat, where you will have to walk to the entry point, wait until you are ready to enter. Usually, the crew helps with fins.

Some captains think bananas are unlucky. They are, however, allowed on my boat. Heck, anything yellow is allowed on my boat. Some say I obsess about yellow, but I say if it is worth having a yellow boat, its worth obsessing about yellow.

Since the deal about bananas is somewhat common, it's a courtesy to not take them. And I have known many a crew member who believe they're bad luck. :)

RonFrank:
BTW, do NOT bring a Bananna onboard the boat... :monkeydan

Bananna hammocks and a black muscle t-shirt with bikini girls are, however, allowed on certain dive boats...:11:

AHHHHHHH!!

Great ideas from everyone!

One thing I might add: once you jump in, turn around and take a look at the boat from your new water-level perspective. Pay attention to the color and note any identifying characteristics. This will help if you surface from your dive and you have to pick your boat out from others at crowded dive sites.

Not that there's anything WRONG with boarding the wrong boat! :)

Enjoy your trip!!

slingshot:
Here's my newbie tip: if the tank valve is being held by a bungie, as they often are, undo the bungie before attaching your 1st stage. Not that I've ever done that!

Haha....guilty of that one too.

Also the DM should give you a brief on how an when they expect you to enter and don fins. I was on a boat where the DM "finned" you while standing at the edge. they check you over while you held back each foot and when they gave you the OK in you went. As to walking backwards to enter the water. I have NEVER heard of this. Isn't that dangerous? I can just see myself not stepping out enough and painting the side of the boat with my face. Has anyone ever seen this done?

Miranda

A few etiquitte tips:

1. stow your gear out of the way. Don't bring onboard large tubs and stuff that doesn't fit under the seats. Don't leave gear around loose to fall off the benches or fall overboard.

2. Don't rinse your mask in the common rinse bucket after you've spit into it.

3. Don't use the camera bucket as a mask rinse bucket.

4. Listen to the the site and dive briefs, unless you are a know-it-all. In that case, at least keep your mouth shut so others can hear. Same for the boat safety briefing at the beginning of the trip.

5. If there is something about any of the briefings that you don't understand; if there are any questions you still have; or if you plan on doing something in a way other than per the briefing, SPEAK UP.

6. When getting underway and returning to the dock, stay out of the way of the crew and resist the temptation to assist unless requested.

7. After getting back onboard, expeditiously clear the boarding area for other divers.

8. If you have a problem with the head, tell the crew before it turns into a major problem.

9. If you had a great trip, tell the crew. If you felt something should have been done differently, make a polite, constructive suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom