• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dive boat capsizes, spills 9 divers - Victoria Canada

Discussion in 'Accidents & Incidents' started by DandyDon, Nov 15, 2015.

1. wedivebc

wedivebc CCR Instructor Trainer ScubaBoard Supporter

It was a 22ft open aluminum boat with high freeboard and was well within it's laod limit. Guess the Vancouver Sun was wrong. Also coast gaurd report 6-7ft waves not 10.
    As decompression mentioned above, he and I were both members of the club at one time and I for one have done many trips on that boat.

2. aaen

aaen Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Holy crap! Glad to see everyone was okay. This hits close to home as many of us probably know the divers that were on the boat.

Regards

Steve

3. LowDrag

LowDrag Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Definintely glad to hear they made it back safe Kudos to the rescue team and to the divers and crew for keeping their cool in a bad situation.

4. soldsoul4foos

soldsoul4foos ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Look, don't get your panties all in a bunch. My point is, boats just don't 'flip over' out of the blue. Having a bunch of divers on board, I can't imagine putting the boat in a position where it could even consider going under. If they hit something, that would be reasonable in my mind.

On the fishing...we can fish inshore or offshore. I find offshore more fun.

Lastly, I'd love to see a picture of this boat. Whether it be 22' or 24', with 9 people, 6 or 7' seas consistently, is a pretty uncomfortable ride.

5. Hawkwood

Hawkwood MSDT ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Geezus, even I should have thought to question that report. Seemed stupid small in hindsight. Thanks for pointing out the correct size.

Bill

6. Shinythings

Shinythings Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    As Dave said it would take a lot to sink that boat. I was out in the area as well but we chose not to do a second dive at Race because of the weather forecast and experience level of the divers in our boat. The guys from Aquarius are very experienced divers and know the local sites.

And once again, the Nautilus Lifeline saves the day.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2015 at 12:32 AM ----------

I have been at Race Rocks in similar weather fully loaded with 8 divers in a similar sized boat, and although it was a hairy ride, we came no where near capsizing.

7. wedivebc

wedivebc CCR Instructor Trainer ScubaBoard Supporter

From a first hand report I heard they were in a following sea, leaving the dive area and after the third wave broke over the stern they were swamped. One diver donned gear and went into the overturned boat to retrieve a waterproof VHF radio in the cockpit and was able to call for help.
    Pretty heroic if you ask me.

8. jbomb001

jbomb001 Solo Diver

I'd like to see a pic of this boat loaded as well. Even at 24 feet it seems to me it would have been rather full. I have a 27 foot Boston whaler center console and with 6 people on it with gear it's a full boat. And I would not go out in it with that many people in 7 footers. Not on the great Lakes anyway. Idk much about sea conditions on the open ocean or whether or not there is any difference in wave frequency. But here on lake Ontario 7 foot waves generally come one after the other and it's not likely you will see any boats out on that. Maybe if your in the 30 plus foot range but no way anything under that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

9. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Their dive site says it's a 20 ft boat. The site is restricted, but got this from the preview...
    Or this from Aqaurius Dive Club located in Victoria, British Columbia V8Y 3H2, Canada

10. decompression

decompression Instructor...seriously...

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    20'.....sure. Memory fading....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk