Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course not, and that's obviously not what I was inferring. However I suspect this was a drive shaft issue vs. a stern tie-in suddenly causing this issue after years and years of that practice.

what were you inferring? it certainly sounded like "stern tie ins are fine, we do it all the time, but not with small boats"

The typical procedure for boats like this doing wreck dives in that area is as follows:
  1. Captain positions the boat near the wreck, based on current estimations as the DM prepares to dive off the stern.
  2. Captain yells "Dive! Dive! Dive!" and the DM plunges into the water to set the mooring line.
  3. The mooring line is attached to the stern and divers giant stride into the water.
  4. The line is disconnected and then reconnected to the bow.
  5. Returning divers ascend the mooring line and swim along the side of the boat to the stern.
The Safari Diver has a removable transom blocking the way to the deck while the boat is underway and removed at the dive site. In relatively rougher seas, waves wash over the deck as the divers gear up. The boat is very tippy. I have friends who refused to dive off of it after they fell hard while trying to gear up for a dive.

Was it sfdhq that lost a boat in the Inlet? It's been years now.
Yes, SFDH had their boat Coral Princess capsize in the Hillsboro Inlet years ago, with one of the divers being killed. It was a Corinthian (catamaran with a large flat deck, like a party boat), and it was apparently hit from behind at an angle by a huge wave. That raised a back corner enough to send everything loose on the deck to the opposite corner, and the whole thing pitch poled.

The Coral Princess was repaired, given a new color scheme, and renamed the Black Pearl. It is still a SFDH boat.

South Florida Diving Headquarters, stern tie in on the Okinawa.
Not their first sinking incident, either. I wonder how they get insurance?

I think the video would have been excellent if only the narrator had uttered, “Yo, bro…” one more time. Without that 27th utterance, this video is just incomplete for me.

Not their first sinking incident, either. I wonder how they get insurance?

The thought also crossed my mind.

I think the video would have been excellent if only the narrator had uttered, “Yo, bro…” one more time. Without that 27th utterance, this video is just incomplete for me.

Bro, don't forget how they also "crashed" into the sinking boat. :rofl3:

Man that sucks. This is the second boat of theirs that sank? When was the first? Glad no one was hurt.

Man that sucks. This is the second boat of theirs that sank? When was the first? Glad no one was hurt.
I imagine the two threads will be merged at some point. Here is what I wrote in the other thread.

Yes, SFDH had their boat Coral Princess capsize in the Hillsboro Inlet years ago, with one of the divers being killed. It was a Corinthian (catamaran with a large flat deck, like a party boat), and it was apparently hit from behind at an angle by a huge wave. That raised a back corner enough to send everything loose on the deck to the opposite corner, and the whole thing pitch poled.

The Coral Princess was repaired, given a new color scheme, and renamed the Black Pearl. It is still a SFDH boat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom