Dive Bonne Terre Mine's $30,000 Treasure Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I just got back last night from yet another amazing trip to the Bonne Terre Mines. This time it was for a weekend of fun starting Saturday with the annual Bonne Terre Mine Treasure Hunt. It was an awesome event and was great to finally put names/avatars to faces of fellow Scubaboard members.

The treasure hunt event couldn’t have been planned better; the entire event seemed to flow as one long day of fun. Our day started at 7:00 AM with a check in and a bit of the usual paperwork. Shortly after the rules and dive briefing were announced, then back to the car to put the knives away as this was claimed to be an unfair advantage. Everyone from our group split up to suit up for dive one and meet back by the mule entrance with gear in hand for the journey into deep earth.

Down and down we went, 68 steps, and I counted, to a graded trail that leads back a 1/8th mile trough dark carved rock with the sounds of dripping water surrounding you. At the dock the wife and I are gearing up with a last minute huddle to go over strategies, then into the toasty 58 degree water.

It was then a short surface swim to the area just above the arena of fun where we descended. Our eyes lit up when we saw the various poker chips sprawled across the rocky mine floor and into action we went. I had a slight problem at first trying to fit fistfuls of chips into my goodie bag and lost about a minute of precious search and recovery time, moments later the signal to surface came.

We ascended and surface swam to arena #2 where the wife and I modified our efforts slightly and when the signal came we shot to the bottom again to claim more chips. This time you could tell the heat was on, people reaching for the same chip at the same time. I’m sure that the referees found it comical to watch as a group of 12+ divers clamored over the remaining chips.

Back on land, but still in the mine, it was time to tally the winnings. Of course the wife outdid me, and by a substantial margin of about $3,000.00. I asked if she had been turning of people’s tanks or what the proprietary secret was.

Topside the wife and I enjoyed a game of tossing washers, reading scuba magazines, and visiting the vendors who had donated prized to the events. These people were a wealth of knowledge regarding the products they represented. We left each booth daydreaming what life would be like winning various trips, an underwater camera, or a new undergarment for my drysuit.

Before we knew it, our surface interval was up and it was time to enter into the mine again to find more of the elusive black chips which had the highest value. Same as the last time, we spent two rounds of 10 minutes underwater collecting every chip in sight. And again, after we were done the wife was a magnet to the high value chips and beat me out again by a couple of thousand points. At the tally table we learned she had scavenged up nearly $9,000.00 worth of chips which put her in the running for a future dive trip.

Topside again, we compared notes with the other divers, feeling out the competition. The food was set out and the lines followed, we sat down and continued talking to others making friends along the way. We both agreed that regardless of the prizes, the price of admission was well worth the amount of fun we had.
After dinner the comedy show began, also known as the auction. Steve did a great job keeping the crowd in stitches. There were so many great prizes to bid on and I would guess that around 40 percent of the people attending won something of substantial value. The wife ended up winning an 8 day/7 night trip to Utopia Utila which looks like a diving paradise from their website.

Since we had driven 6 hours from Chicago, we decided to take advantage of the diving the following day and filled in the blanks on a couple of the lower trails we missed on our previous visits. There is no shortage of amazing things to see on each dive. We both had heard about the train and finally got to see it, a miniature steam locomotive laying on its side looked almost surreal and out of place. These were just another great sets of dives at Bonne Terre to add to the logbook.

My wife and I would like to thank Doug and his wife for hosting this great event and also the staff who made everything down to the small details a blast. We would also like to thank the vendors who we had the pleasure of speaking with who had all donated prizes. We wish more of the vendors who donated prizes had attended as we both enjoy travel and attaining new gear along the way. We will definitely be there again next year.

To Sum it all up;
Cost of gas there and back: $110.00
Cost of admission: $99.00
Value of Prize Won: $1,500.00
Seeing NetDoc in his new flooded drysuit: Priceless

P.S. Let us know if an Easter Egg hunt is in the works.

Kudos to Doug, Steve and everyone involved with the Treasure Hunt at Bonne Terre. The prizes donated by the various vendors were all top notch. I was lucky enough to win the bid on a trip to Maya Palms and can't wait to get there! Looking forward to more dives at Bonne Terre and will definitely be part of next year's Treasure Hunt! :D

Over the Mississippi and through the woods
To Bonne Terre mine I go
The guide knows the way to start the day
On a platform deep below
Over the Mississippi and through the woods
To scavenge for chips I go
When all is told, black chips are gold
My white pile sure does blow
Out of the water and up the steps
Surface interval I go
Venders give spiels about their deals
I sure won’t miss the snow
Out of the water and up the steps
To the surface I do go
I need a beer after carrying my gear
From a place God only knows
Out of the mine and to the tent
Hopeful divers all do go
Everyone seems to have Sunset House dreams
My max bid is way to low
Out of the mine and to the tent
Great food is my prize I fear
Steve is great it is getting late
Matt and Ray see you next year

My only regret is that I could not stay another day and dive on Sunday. Dang graduation. I had a really good time. I have always had trouble equalizing and I really pushed my descent rate to an extreme on my first dive. I slowed my descent on the second dive, but that hindered my search. I cannot think of a solution to make my equalization issue a non factor. Even though I only walked away with a really nice Mares lanyard, had to drive 4 hours to get home, and arrived after midnight, I consider my time in Bonne Terre well spent. I am going to see if I can get a dive buddy to go with me next time.

Wow, what a really fun time we had at the Bonne Terre Mine 2009 Treasure Hunt, which was sponsored by ScubaBoard. The event certainly exceeded my expectations. I was originally very apprehensive about signing up because my son and I were just certified in February. My primary concern was that we would feel rushed and unprepared due to the need for 120 divers to get in and out of the mine twice in one day. My other concern was that my son would be disappointed when all you old pros out there schooled us on the finer points of underwater treasure hunting. However, he was very excited about the prospect of an adult easter egg hunt and we wanted to continue to grow our experience in diving. Since the diving was discounted off BTMs regular price anyway and you had a chance to win something on top of that along with free food, we said: what the heck, let's give it a try.

Alas, my fears were unnecessary. The Bonne Terre Mine and West End Diving staff did an excellent job above and below ground getting people in and out of the water. They had 10 dive groups laid out on a highly organized scheduled that let people know where they had to be and when. They also were very good at communicating and keeping people on schedule, although I think Steve was having a little too much fun with the bull horn. On the dive platform, there were several people available to help those that needed it, and we needed it! I thank Jim from the BTM staff for being there for us.

We were fortunate that we had done our check-out dives at the mine and in some of the "rooms" that were part of the treasure hunt so at least we knew what to expect for the diving environment. We also knew how much weight we needed. This is a key because it is very helpful to be able to get to the bottom quickly to pick up the colored poker chips that have differing values. The darker ones have the highest value and are the hardest to find. Several divers I talked to prior to the dive say it was all over in 3 minutes although you get 10 minutes in 2"rooms" in each dive. That may be true for the bulk of the chips, but I found many chips, and usually the higher value, harder-to-find ones, throughout the 10 minutes.

My son and I were competitive on our chip count and both walked away with great prizes from the auction. You can read his post at Bonne Terre Mine: Batte Royal. In the auction, he won a strobe light by Tektite and I won a very nice BCD from IST Sports. Neither one of us has any equipment other than the basics so we where excited to pick up some really good stuff. It seemed like almost everyone got something. In addition to the auction with the poker chips, there were door prizes and drawings by the Cayman Islands and St. Croix for just visiting their booths. I won the drawing from the Cayman Islands, which included two bottles of wine, a bottle opener, rum cake and towel. Despite pleas from those in the crowd to open the bottles, I thought ahead and instead presented these to my wife upon returning from the weekend in order to return some credits to the marriage bank. As door prizes, we received some nice lanyards and a key chain from Mares. We also got a coveted ScubaBoard pin. NetDoc was in attendance, but since I had never been on this board prior to the event, I didn't know we were in the presence of a celebrity. The barbeque was great at the end of the day and the auction was certainly entertaining.

So Saturday was great, but despite doing our check out dives at the mine and going through the treasure hunt, we had never gone on any of the trails in the mine. Since we had our rented equipment for the weekend, we stayed and did trails 1 & 2 on Sunday. My advice to any of you that travel a distance to come to the Treasure Hunt next year is make sure you don't limit yourself to just the Treasure Hunt dives. If you do, you will miss some of the real treasures at the mine. You should schedule an additional day to do some of the trails to see the mine. There are many relics to see and some fun swim-throughs, all in lighted crystal clear water.

Bruce

We had a great time also. We won some prizes and hand some fun diving. I think the only way to improve the event would be if the diving could be more trail oriented. My wife and I discussed it and thought that possibly instead of the “feeding frenzy” for the chips, possibly something like a poker run, where you dive a complete trail and get cards along the way to earn points for the auction. Just a thought. Hope to see you all next year.

SteveC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom