Dive buddy or so

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aparootsa

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okie dokie, so here's the deal... I'm a noob (24y/0 with OW and a lot of snorkeling) looking for a dive buddy (or a group of them) that can transport and/or store my tanks. I ride a motorcycle (looking for a trailer, but haven't found one that I can afford till my wallet recovers from the gear buy), so I can't haul them any farther than I can walk them. The rest of my gear I can fit on the bike, no problem.

Saturdays and Sundays work best for me, though I wouldn't object to an after-work dive either, if there's one in range. I'd be happy to help load/unload gear, pay for air/gas and so forth in exchange, and I can also meet anywhere that's convenient for you.

note: this Sat. I need to be in Quincy by 2 pm, but most I'm free as a bird till the cows come home...

What's more important diving or your bike?

I'd always be willing to throw an extra set of tanks in my trunk. I think storage will probably be a tough sell with most people.

Steeve at Atlantic Divers in Danvers is thinking about making some lockers in his basement and renting them out. You might want to give him a call.

PM me anytime you feel like going for a dive. I'm always looking for buddies and usually in the mood for a dive or two. Like I said I'd be glad to throw you tanks in my trunk. I live in boston too, so carpooling wouldn't be a problem.

Just curious, don't you get cold riding that motorcycle in the winter?

Stogey - valid question. Having the motorcycle isn't the issue - NOT having a car is. My use for a car is extremely limited (i.e. nonexistent till I got my tanks, actually), so it's very hard to justify the ongoing expense (parking in Brookline, insurance for a 24-y/o single male, etc.) at this point. Better to ask for some help now and pay it forward when I do have one.

Jeff - I'll def. PM you and drop Steeve a line. As for winter - that's my hibernating season :) I winter my bike, so I walk and take the T once it gets past riding weather. Decided to do that when I saw the results of parked motorcycle vs snowplow... poor owner when he found his baby upturned in a snowdrift. I do know guys that ride all year, but I'm just not there yet.

did i hear someone say zipcar?

Zipcar = $70/day plus adding another car to the already-full-of-cars roads of this fine country. I'd just as soon put that cash toward buying someone lunch and a round or so when the day is done in exchange for a ride to the site, fill station and home again. Plus that way there's more of a social interaction, which is also a part of the sport - and climbing as well, which I've done for far longer and is chock full of car-less people and those who give them rides. Thing about climbing is I have a lot of gear that the ride-giver could use, and my scuba collection isn't so grand yet.

Not related to the diving aspect, but regarding the winter use of a bike in Boston - shovel early and often. I'm assuming you have to park on the street hence the snowplow worry, find a large van or truck to park next to to shield you from the plows.

Since it doesn't actually snow *that* often, you can park it inside at the Pru downtown for $10 a day on the snowy days.

We dive off my boat that resides in Beverly. We go out MOST (but not all) weekends.
If you want to, you can come out with us some time, see if you like the crew and see if you want to dive with us more. If you DO, we can find storage on my boat, I got plenty. :)

That assumes that we all don't think that you are a total dick. :) Like I said, I have plenty of storage space, and its dry space, BUT if anything gets stolen, you are on your own man (nothing has ever been stolen off my boat.)

If you are interested check us out at:
www.teampaulc.org
and see if you can stomach us. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom