Dive called with 1000psi left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any charters that limit the time on a dive do not get my business. if the dm would have said come up at 1000psi thats another story but time limiting is something that I dont pay for.

It's the same thing...

Stories like that make me glad I don't live in Florida. Where I live the boat crew doesn't plan your dive for you. They give you a dive briefing, hand you your camera after you giant stride into the water, help you back on board at the end of the dive, and hand you something hot to drink after you've taken off your rig.

Time limit? What's that? Plan your dive, dive your plan ... because when you let someone else do it for you, you have to play by their rules ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't read that the diver was REQUIRED to surface with 1000 psi, but that, due to the shallow depth and short time, he ended up with that much gas unused.

It isn't uncommon for dive ops to put time limits on dives. The first big dive trip I made was to Australia, and the dive op we were with limited us very strictly to 45 minutes. That was fine with me at the time, but today, it would irk me quite a bit. But I would rather have a dive op set a time limit, than have them try to control the time of the dives by giving their divers small tanks, as one dive op I know of does. Nobody ever got into trouble by ending a dive when the tanks still had lots of gas in them :)

I think the OP, as a new diver, should be very pleased that it was time and not gas that ended his dive. And the lesson learned is, when you book a boat dive, you ask the operator what tanks they provide and what parameters are set on the dive. If one operator uses 40 minute dives, and the next says, "Go up when you hit gas limits," you know which one I'M going to dive with!

It's the same thing...

not really.....from his quote....

Plus before the first dive he mentioned both dives would be capped at 40 min in order to stay warm for the 2nd dive.

how would the DM know what his PSI would be? This was purely a way to cut time short. The other quote of 'trying to stay short so we'll be warmer for the second is a load of BS. I would have told that DM to get better thermal protection so he doesnt have to cut my time short.

I think the OP, as a new diver, should be very pleased that it was time and not gas that ended his dive. And the lesson learned is, when you book a boat dive, you ask the operator what tanks they provide and what parameters are set on the dive. If one operator uses 40 minute dives, and the next says, "Go up when you hit gas limits," you know which one I'M going to dive with!

I agree 1000%.

Dive boats in Thailand normally sets the limits to 45-50 mins or 50bars (725psi) which ever comes first. atleast the boats i have been(exluding thai operators)

Dive boats in Thailand normally sets the limits to 45-50 mins or 50bars (725psi) which ever comes first. atleast the boats i have been(exluding thai operators)

That was the case on liveaboard I was on at Similan Islands as well. Exception was night dive where it was shallow and boat didn't move after the dive. They also didn't allow solo dives at all even if one had training for it and equipment for it.

Not sure one had much choice as I think pretty much all are that way.

A lot of you are missing the point. If the captain has to be back at the dock to get ready for the next trip out at, say, one pm he has to turn the boat in time to get there and get set up. In this case you might have to limit the time in the water to 40-45 minutres. If you can't give up five minutes of your time on a charter then you should go buy your own boat.

A lot of you are missing the point. If the captain has to be back at the dock to get ready for the next trip out at, say, one pm he has to turn the boat in time to get there and get set up. In this case you might have to limit the time in the water to 40-45 minutres. If you can't give up five minutes of your time on a charter then you should go buy your own boat.

... or choose a different charter.

Boat charters aren't cheap. When I go on one, I expect to be able to do my dive, on my time. If there is a time limit and it's known in advance of booking, then I can completely respect that and make my choice accordingly. If, however, they impose the limit after I've paid my money ... or worse yet, am on the boat ... then I will reserve the right to ignore said time limit and do my dive.

Fortunately, in my area, boat charters don't practice that nonsense. My boat dives are typically in the 60-70 minute time frame ... sometimes longer if the site's particularly interesting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have had 40 minute time limits put on me a lot while diving boat charters , no one ever died from coming back with too much air however , when I spend a few thousand dollars to go on a dive trip I hate being told to end a shallow safe dive with half a tank left and tons on ndt.

I always check out the policys before I book now , thats why my past four trips have been to bonaire , diving freedom .

Back
Top Bottom