Dive club meeting turnout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know a good way to get people to show up for club meetings. Invariably the ones who complain the most are the same ones who rarely show for the scheduled meetings. I have tried door prizes and free food (homemade lobster dip and shrimp last night) but nothing seems to work. My meeting was last night. I sent an email to all members this morning detailing the minutes from the meeting and ALREADY I am getting flack from non-attendees about the decisions we made. Any ideas? Thanks!

Scott

Email them back with an explanation on why you made those decisions and that they need to make it to the meetings to voice their opinions. If they do not come to the meetings then is their loss.

Instead of voting and discussing on the same night. I would discuss the news one night. Detail the discussion in the minutes. State that voting will take place at the next meeting. Please attend to voice your opinions. It is not your fault they don't want to take the time to come to the meetings.

The decisions made last night were on topics discussed a month ago. I also make it VERY clear that no show = no vote unless there is a decent reason why the person can't attend. It's sort of ironic that I have been bugging members to let me know how they felt for a whole month without a reply and not even 24 hours after the meeting, I get 5 emails;-0

Scott

You can't please everyone .. so I would say too bad to the no shows and that they are going to have to deal with what the "CLUB" has decisided. If they don't like it they should go to the next meeting and then complain. You would at least have some backers there. I wish I could help you out more, but it seems you have done all you can. I am just a member of our club, I make all the meetings and club events. If I wasn't there and there was a decision made that I didn't like. I would have to just suck it up and make the next meetings so that it doesn't happen again. Clubs are tough to manage. Good Luck.

BTW .. your not too far from us. Maybe you should take a trip out our way and dive. Check out our site for some dates.

Heck, I may drive in from Detroit for that!!

Maybe you should just advertise the food and forget about the dive info....

I was president of a club(non diving). I mailed out newsletters after each meeting describing what was done what was pending and when the next meeting was etc etc. Also I would mail post cards out a few days before the meetings. The same 5 or 6 people were at every meeting and the same 20+ were not. I would consider that the people that show up faithfully are your dive club and I wouldn't worry about the rest.

Tell the complainers you don't want to here it. Tell them they can voice there opinion at the next meeting. By the way if your in the neighborhood and your serving lobster dip, drop me a line, I'll show up I don't care what club!:thumb:

I appreciate all the input. I feel much better now about telling the non-attendees to stuff it. As for the lobster dip, it's very easy to make and is just as good if not better when you use crab. Maybe I should forget the dive club and just sell my dip. Email me if you want the recipe (You just have to promise to never tell anyone else how to make it, worship me as a god, carry all my gear etc....:)).

Scott

Any chance of putting the recipe up here on the board?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom