Dive Computer Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0823

Registered
Reaction score
All,

I've got my AOW certification and about 50 dives under my belt, but I am new to the world of purchasing dive equipment. I am looking for advice on my first dive computer. I'm thinking about the Mares Puck Pro Plus. I know there is much fancier and more expensive equipment, but, from what I've read, it seems like this one will get the job done and has all of the features I need. However, given my ignorance about dive computers, any advice would be appreciated. It seems like Mares is a popular and reputable brand. Is there any reason to consider a different brand? Other than more bells and whistles, are there reasons why I should consider a more expensive brand or model? Accuracy and reliability in terms of the basic calculations are the most important features for me, whereas paying more for additional features is not something I'm looking to do at this point. Thanks in advance!

what are your typical diving habits? what "more" do you intend to do (dives per day/week type stuff)? My wife dove one (now inherited by my daughter for purely easy recreational 1-2 dives a day, and modest SI, and it is fine...

I carried it in my pocket as a back-up on some deep stuff, and bent it (24 hour lock out)....

My experiences with Mares is abysmal (tech support regarding the Puck and the Mares software), so I really don't give them much praise...

(a bunch of us are impatiently waiting for the Deep6 computer to finally debut.... @cerich )

I don't know about Mares specifically. I will say now, you will probably see and get a lot of recommendations on this board for some expensive computers. Yes, they may do everything you will ever want to do and then some, and have nicer displays and cool features. But if you're looking for something inexpensive that will get the job done for basic rec diving, there are plenty of basic Nitrox capable computers out there that will get the job done. So look for good reviews without major dings that you care about, but it's not necessary to spend upwards of a grand on a computer if you don't want to. (You can always buy one later and sell the basic one or keep it as a backup. Personally, for my diving I find 2 basic computers of more utility, and still cheaper than, one fancy one - I travel to dive and don't want a computer failure to interfere with my diving when I traveled for 2 days to get someplace.)

Puck Pro is about the cheapest new computer you can get at the moment. It will do what what you need and its calculations will not be any more or less accurate than any other dive computer's.

The things I'd consider:
- Visibility. If you plan to dive a lot in murk, low viz like lakes an quarries, light-emitting screen is a big plus. In bright sunlight blue water puck's segmented TN display will be just fine and save you a bunch of money and batteries.
- Air integration. If you plan on getting your own regs and perhaps streamlining your kit, consider replacing the console with wireless pressure sensor/transmitter.
- Whether you may ever get technical: "recreational" computers like puck are targeted at no-decompression diving, if you ever go into deco diving you you'll need a new one.

This thread will very likely get derailed into yet another "conservative" vs. "liberal" flamefest (it's about deco models), so keep in mind that you won't know if "conservative computer" will be limiting your dives in any way until you actually try.

Get a Suunto zoop novo or something equally cheap. As long as it has gauge mode you can do as much or as little diving as you want with it.

Hi @Diver0823

How is your gas consumption, do you know your RMV? Are your dives mainly gas or NDL limited? Most modern computers have pretty similar features. One variable is the decompression algorithm, some are more conservative, some middle of the road, some more liberal. There are several previous computer threads asking your question about a first computer, perhaps they would help you. The RGBM algorithms used by Mares, Cressi, and Suunto are generally on the more conservative end of the spectrum.

See @dmaziuk post above, some do not care about their decompression algorithm, some do, some do not have the slightest idea that there are any differences among the many that are available.

The Hollis DG03 is a full featured computer, running a middle of the road Buhlmann based decompression algorithm, and is available for $199 DG03 w/FREE Dry Box

Last edited:
M8
Puck Pro is about the cheapest new computer you can get at the moment. It will do what what you need and its calculations will not be any more or less accurate than any other dive computer's.

The things I'd consider:
- Visibility. If you plan to dive a lot in murk, low viz like lakes an quarries, light-emitting screen is a big plus. In bright sunlight blue water puck's segmented TN display will be just fine and save you a bunch of money and batteries.
- Air integration. If you plan on getting your own regs and perhaps streamlining your kit, consider replacing the console with wireless pressure sensor/transmitter.
- Whether you may ever get technical: "recreational" computers like puck are targeted at no-decompression diving, if you ever go into deco diving you you'll need a new one.

This thread will very likely get derailed into yet another "conservative" vs. "liberal" flamefest (it's about deco models), so keep in mind that you won't know if "conservative computer" will be limiting your dives in any way until you actually try.
This is the most useful reply you will ever get in a thread like this.
Get the Puck, this will save you several hundred dollars.

Get the Puck, this will save you several hundred dollars.

Save several hundred dollars over what? Other computers that are several hundred dollars more? Yeah, sure. Over some other computers that are just as good? Not so much.

The Oceanic Geo 2.0 is a nice computer in a size that I personally think is much nicer than the size of the Puck or the DG03. It is normally found for $349, so the Puck is definitely not going to save "several hundred dollars" over that. And, it's pretty common to find the Geo for $279. It would probably only take one phone call or email to LeisurePro to get it for significantly less than $349.

The Geo is a smaller overall size than the Puck, but that doesn't mean the actual writing on the display is much, if any smaller. And the Geo offers the user a choice of two algorithms. One of which is roughly comparable to the Puck algorithm, and the other will offer the user longer NDL times. Longer NDL times are very nice when you either have a good SAC/RMV or when you use bigger tanks like 100s or 120s. Either way, you run out of NDL before you run out of gas, so a longer NDL means you get more time underwater.

Save several hundred dollars over what? Other computers that are several hundred dollars more? Yeah, sure. Over some other computers that are just as good? Not so much.

The Oceanic Geo 2.0 is a nice computer in a size that I personally think is much nicer than the size of the Puck or the DG03. It is normally found for $349, so the Puck is definitely not going to save "several hundred dollars" over that. And, it's pretty common to find the Geo for $279. It would probably only take one phone call or email to LeisurePro to get it for significantly less than $349.

The Geo is a smaller overall size than the Puck, but that doesn't mean the actual writing on the display is much, if any smaller. And the Geo offers the user a choice of two algorithms. One of which is roughly comparable to the Puck algorithm, and the other will offer the user longer NDL times. Longer NDL times are very nice when you either have a good SAC/RMV or when you use bigger tanks like 100s or 120s. Either way, you run out of NDL before you run out of gas, so a longer NDL means you get more time underwater.

On leisurepro, I just added a pricewatch for the Geo 2.0 on Sat. and received an email this morning with a $100 price reduction to $250. Immediately snatched it up. Definitely worth it to give them a call, instead of ordering straight online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom