Dive Computer Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Save several hundred dollars over what? Other computers that are several hundred dollars more? Yeah, sure. Over some other computers that are just as good? Not so much.

The Oceanic Geo 2.0 is a nice computer in a size that I personally think is much nicer than the size of the Puck or the DG03. It is normally found for $349, so the Puck is definitely not going to save "several hundred dollars" over that. And, it's pretty common to find the Geo for $279. It would probably only take one phone call or email to LeisurePro to get it for significantly less than $349.

The Geo is a smaller overall size than the Puck, but that doesn't mean the actual writing on the display is much, if any smaller. And the Geo offers the user a choice of two algorithms. One of which is roughly comparable to the Puck algorithm, and the other will offer the user longer NDL times. Longer NDL times are very nice when you either have a good SAC/RMV or when you use bigger tanks like 100s or 120s. Either way, you run out of NDL before you run out of gas, so a longer NDL means you get more time underwater.
Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Oceanic myself (love my Atom), but there are lot of divers who want a PDC just to assure one thing: not getting bent. Not that I like the Puck, but it is cheap and will get the job done. So what?

On leisurepro, I just added a pricewatch for the Geo 2.0 on Sat. and received an email this morning with a $100 price reduction to $250. Immediately snatched it up. Definitely worth it to give them a call, instead of ordering straight online.

If it's not a perdix ai, I'd rather get a puck pro + with usb cable from pms fleebay store and a bottle of 18yo bunhannabhain from wherever fine spirits are sold.

Well, OK, that'd probably go a few bucks over $250 on p&h.

Okay, so the Pro costs around $200, in this case it might be worth taking a closer look at a cheap Oceanic.
Yet I stick to my point: the cheapest is probably good enough. Even if it's a 20 year old Aladin off eBay. :cheers:

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Oceanic myself (love my Atom), but there are lot of divers who want a PDC just to assure one thing: not getting bent. Not that I like the Puck, but it is cheap and will get the job done. So what?

So what? You said the OP could save several hundred dollars by buying the Puck. This is completely false. That's what. You're steering the OP to buy something you don't even have yourself - and based on false information.

Okay, so the Pro costs around $200, in this case it might be worth taking a closer look at a cheap Oceanic.
Yet I stick to my point: the cheapest is probably good enough. Even if it's a 20 year old Aladin off eBay. :cheers:

Where did the OP ever say anything to suggest that longer NDL times is of no interest? What is your basis for saying that a product you don't even use is "good enough" for the OP?

My point? Give the OP the (true) facts and let him or her make the value decisions. Save the "it's good enough" judgments for your own purchasing decisions.

So what? You said the OP could save several hundred dollars by buying the Puck. This is completely false. That's what. You're steering the OP to buy something you don't even have yourself - and based on false information.
I think I had in mind that soon someone would recommend a Perdix AI... :wink:
"Saving hundreds of dollars" was based on this assumption, I have to admit.
Although I own more PDCs than some dive operations, the only Mares is a Guardian. :D

I think I had in mind that soon someone would recommend a Perdix AI... :wink:

... and I beat y'all to it this time:yeahbaby:

Where did the OP ever say anything to suggest that longer NDL times is of no interest?
Well he didn't ask for longer NDL, did he?
If you carefully read his post again, you will see, that he asked for a PCD with basic functions that gets the job done.
Would you really say that the Puck isn't able to meet these requirements?

Well he didn't ask for longer NDL, did he?
If you carefully read his post again, you will see, that he asked for a PCD with basic functions that gets the job done.
Would you really say that the Puck isn't able to meet these requirements?

No. But, I'd also say that OP solicited info on if there are other brands he should consider. So, giving him info on other options and what the differences are is what I call "being helpful". Telling him to buy a Puck and save several hundred dollars, with no info about other options, is not true and not especially helpful.

No. But, I'd also say that OP solicited info on if there are other brands he should consider. So, giving him info on other options and what the differences are is what I call "being helpful". Telling him to buy a Puck and save several hundred dollars, with no info about other options, is not true and not especially helpful.
Generally speaking you are absolutely right.
Nevertheless I think he just wanted to know if the Puck meets his requirements. I didn't want to bring my personal preference for Oceanic into this.
In the next 10 pages of this thread the OP will get a lot of different opinions, based on which he will be able to choose the best fitting computer.
Or he will never post on SB again out of frustration. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom