Dive Computer Failure -- Ending the Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Definite food for thought. At this point in my diving career I cannot justify two computers. Especially when the first one I have owned hasn't even gotten wet! I am excited to start using my computer to enhance my diving ability but I will still dive conservatively. It sounds like the 'transfer to tables' vs 'sit out 24hrs' decision would have to be made on a case by case basis based on the actual conditions of the dive that the unlikely event of computer failure occurs on. I think regardless I will almost always plan using a square worst case scenario table profile so that I can factor that information into a bail out scenario if required. Can't hurt.

Thanks again for all of the feedback! I enjoy getting takes from much more experienced divers, very humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by giffenk
Hang on. This does not pass the sniff test. Are you sure this is what the manual says?
on a recreational dive, you have no deco obligation and can go directly to the surface. Since you are ending your dive early, you WILL have lots of air, so feel free to make a 3-5 minute safety stop @15 feet. But holding at 10-20 as long as air will allow? Nope. Not doing that. That could be an hour or more....

Not too odd if you understand that it is also for someone who may not have been paying any attention to his profile, and the procedure covers, as best it can, the possibility that the computer has been feeding you bad info for a number of repetitive dives.

Using my own safety protocols, without knowing those instructions, I effectively did that procedure when some information I didn't understand showed up on my computer. It turned out to be unwarranted, but I didn't know that then. I now know more indications that can show up on the screen, and which ones are a yawn.

Bob
---------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I think the key is that many multi level computer dives will put you way off the chart of any tables. Try 70 feet for a 60 minute dive. Very doable with a computer. So is 90 feet for 90 minutes. But neither can be applied to my copy of the us navy no decompression limits table as the 70 foot time limit is 50 minutes and the 90 foot limit is 30 minutes. Kind of hard to map back to a table as a square profile afterwards. It won't fit.

So you have 2 options:
- use a backup computer
- sit out 24 hours to off gas to ensure you can transition to tables in a know state

I'd only sit out 12hr. The tables treat anything more than 12hrs SI as a new dive. Good enough for me and I did a few years ago in NC when my PDC battery died as I posted in my 1st post in this thread. Next day made 2 deep dives >100fsw on the PDC no problem.

I think the key is that many multi level computer dives will put you way off the chart of any tables. Try 70 feet for a 60 minute dive. Very doable with a computer. So is 90 feet for 90 minutes. But neither can be applied to my copy of the us navy no decompression limits table as the 70 foot time limit is 50 minutes and the 90 foot limit is 30 minutes. Kind of hard to map back to a table as a square profile afterwards. It won't fit.

So you have 2 options:
- use a backup computer
- sit out 24 hours to off gas to ensure you can transition to tables in a know state

not really necessary...
Computer dies and you haven't reached the limits of your square profile, you keep diving. You have reached the limits of your square profile, then you surface. Piece of cake. After-all, it's not rocket surgery.

So, you say what if you have reached the limits and beyond of a square profile when your computer craps out? Okay, take an extended surface interval, and dive your repetitive dive very conservatively, employing an aggressive safety stop. No worries. This is brain science.

not really necessary...
Computer dies and you haven't reached the limits of your square profile, you keep diving. You have reached the limits of your square profile, then you surface. Piece of cake. After-all, it's not rocket surgery.

So, you say what if you have reached the limits and beyond of a square profile when your computer craps out? Okay, take an extended surface interval, and dive your repetitive dive very conservatively, employing an aggressive safety stop. No worries. This is brain science.

Of course! And on a drift dive (guided) it's not a good idea to come up alone because the guys on the boat are probably not expecting anyone to come up early. Easier just to stay above the group and do a nice long stop. It also helps if you and your buddy have the same computer and dive the same profile.

Of course! And on a drift dive (guided) it's not a good idea to come up alone because the guys on the boat are probably not expecting anyone to come up early. Easier just to stay above the group and do a nice long stop. It also helps if you and your buddy have the same computer and dive the same profile.

Or you just pop your own blob and ascend. No comment on a computer. I don't dive with one

Well you're either at XXFSW or you ain't, SS or deco I execute the same, SS chest @15fsw for 3min; deco stop(s) chest@ fill in the blanks.
Exactly my point. You do that, but your average recreational diver doesn't. They bob around anywhere between 20 and 10 feet, may occasionally even go above or below that and then return, and sometimes even blow it off completely and just surface.

Exactly my point. You do that, but your average recreational diver doesn't. They bob around anywhere between 20 and 10 feet, may occasionally even go above or below that and then return, and sometimes even blow it off completely and just surface.

Well, I was posting about what I do when my PDC fails. Not once did I advocate that anyone else should do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom