Dive Computer, Mac compatible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did without for a while because of (a) the obscene cost of download cables and (b) poor mac support. After a while I broke down and Reefnet sensus for just a few dollars more than the download cable cost for my particular computer. I should have done it sooner.

ReefNet Inc. | Sensus Ultra

I bought mine from Dive Rite Express.

You can run windows on a mac, but that requires purchasing Windows, and many Mac users don't want to do that. :) Especiall considering how much a copy of an OS costs.

True, it is overkill to run Windows on your Mac if the only Win program you want to run is your dive log software. I have to run some Win work related software so I run WinXP Pro under Parallels. This configuration runs the Suunto Dive Manager software like a champ. :)

The integration is so good, you can almost imagine that it is a Mac program.

You have to keep in mind that only the Intel based Macs can run Windows natively. PPC based ones such as PowerBooks, iBooks, G5s and older G4/G5 iMacs have to run Virtual PC which is sluggish and lacks good peripheral device support.

I was able to open my dive computer's log with Microsoft Word for Mac.

Sweet! That means I could probably make graphs and charts with Excel or FileMaker. And the options continue to expand.

You have to keep in mind that only the Intel based Macs can run Windows natively. PPC based ones such as PowerBooks, iBooks, G5s and older G4/G5 iMacs have to run Virtual PC which is sluggish and lacks good peripheral device support.

That is correct. I run this configuration on a Powerbook Pro. I wouldn't recommend Virtual PC. It isn't just sluggish, it is painfully slow. Parallels runs Windows at full speed. If you have enough RAM, it is quite snappy.

Ive just downloaded for FREE the jtrak software for Uwatec computers. Ive got the IR kit comming as well so I can say that Uwatec are compatible with MAC

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Emily,

Your friend could get the Oceanic Dive HUD and use the PC emulation software to run the OceanLog® PC Download Software. Then she would have everything she needs right in her mask without any hoses or items on your wrist.

Whilst mac versions of the software are available, remember that you can run Windows in a virtual machine on the mac and run native windows software there if needed. I use this method am am very happy with this.

Regards
Richard

3 Days till I leave to Hurghada ..... :)

Caution here: MAC emulators will definitely NOT run all PC software.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom