Dive Computer - Need Help Choosing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissBubbles205

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay... Went to my local dive shop to get an Oceanic Pro Plus. And the guy at the shop told me they don't sale or work on them because they are lower end gear.

Help!! Lol. All they had in stock was Sherwood Wisdom 3's for around $800 and some type of sub gear console. I don't know what I want or need and the local dive guy didn't seem to be much help. My brother, his fiancé and my dad will be diving with me and this guy said we all had to buy the same type computers. I know I'm still new to all this but I felt like he was treating me like I'm stupid.

I have all my gear except the computer and its all scuba pro. Looking for a good quality product but without spending 1k.

Hoo boy, you're going to get an earful here. But that's a good thing. Have you done a search here on SB for previous threads? As you can imagine, this is a question that comes up again and again. Keep in mind there's no need to limit yourself to what your local dive shop sells unless you feel strongly about wanting to patronize them (as some people do).

I knew I'd get a bunch of controversy. And people have their fav brands or types.. But I am at a total loss here. When I ask, everyone seems to have different answers. Seems to be a question I shouldn't ask. Lol. I would like one AI, or I think at least and with a compass. And one that is easy to read without being too bulky. My LDS seems to be, well ill keep those comments to myself. :eek:)

Just as a "help" vs a push to a specific brand, Oceanic is currently offering AI as a free upgrade on many of their PDC's. It"s a hard choice between whats out their and I had narrowed my choices down to the Scubapro Meridian and the Oceanic Atom 3.1...ended up with the Atom when the deal included the AI transmitter ($400 advertised value) free. I'm sure many others will jump in with their choices and reasons for their choices as well... Best of luck

Yes this is a big question, if you provide some more info re your type of diving, whether you are looking at tech diving in your future, whether you'd like wrist or console or don't care, colour or monochrome, what features you think you'd like to have etc then it will be easier to give some recommendations.

Without having any info ill jump in with an old favourite, a Suunto Zoop wrist mount in a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount. Very simple to use, nitrox, cheap, reliable and all an OW rec diver will likely need.

If you would like to stick with Scubapro look at the Aladin which I believe also fits in a DSS mount.

Do have a look around the computer section as as Lorenzoid has commented this is one of the most commonly asked questions so lots of info is around.

Im calling BS, that's the third time this week, on your LDS comment about Oceanic which I suspect is only said as he doesn't sell them. I think it's bad form to talk negatively about another brand particularly when it's based on nothing except that they don't sell it. Ill get off my soap box now.

---------- Post added June 8th, 2013 at 01:30 PM ----------

Wrist mount.

Just read your reply, it's a little big but the Galileo Luna is a very nice computer and has compass and AI. PM Beaverdivers, Casey, he often as good deals running.

Suunto Vyper Air would also meet your requirements.

If you were feeling rich look at the Liquivision Lynx.

Buddha,thank you soo much for the reply. You too Darren. :eek:) I loved the Pro Plus, seems to have all the features I wanted. But I will def check with BeaverDivers also. That's who I bought my Reg from. :eek:). A friend of mine recommended to Suunto also. I saw my LDS didn't have any so I didn't bother to ask as I was certain I'd get the same response as I did on the oceanic. LDS guy also mentioned to algorithms. I know the pro plus had 2 modes but the LdS guy told me all had only 1 and we all needed the same computers and on the same alg's. is that something that is true?

Your LDS guy is a liar. Plain and simple. The Pro Plus is actually a great console computer at a reasonable price for what it it does. It's easy to read and you can get a compass attachment. I prefer wrist mounts myself and before I'd even think about AI I'd save the money and get an SPG on a hose.

he is also full of crap when he says you all need the same computer. You can all dive different comps as long as you use the most conservative one to conduct dives between the buddy pairs, team, or however you choose to pair up. I would start seriously looking for another LDS and start buying on line. This guy does not need to be supported.

Finally if you really want a computer that will do everything you want and more but you'll need an spg on a hose and wrist compass you can't beat Shearwater. Hands down the best support, upgrades, and service. I dive a Predator but you'd be fine with a Petrel.

Tell your LDS guy he better start reading Scubaboard and change his ways. Otherwise he'll be finding more of his customers leaving.

Ahhh thank you!!!! I honestly hate even walking in the shop. I did my pool classes there and they gave me hell for doing my padi classes online. I totally prefer to drive 2.5 hours to GA. And another thing he went on and on about today "do not buy online" I personally love leisure pro and prefer to buy there over my LDS. I think a wrist could be nice to have. But I'm beginning to think I'd love to have the console to have everything in one place.

first thing to do is decide what YOUR needs and desires are - and then meet those, not someone else's. You will find that most recreational dive computers will produce very similar results, so do not worry if you like an Oceanic and your buddy has a ScubaPro. Good luck

Okay... Went to my local dive shop to get an Oceanic Pro Plus. And the guy at the shop told me they don't sale or work on them because they are lower end gear.

Help!! Lol. All they had in stock was Sherwood Wisdom 3's for around $800 and some type of sub gear console. I don't know what I want or need and the local dive guy didn't seem to be much help. My brother, his fiancé and my dad will be diving with me and this guy said we all had to buy the same type computers. I know I'm still new to all this but I felt like he was treating me like I'm stupid.

I have all my gear except the computer and its all scuba pro. Looking for a good quality product but without spending 1k.

Oceanic does make quality product and is a popular seller for computers at our store. Other very popular computer brands include Suunto, Atomic, Mares and Scubapro.

Actually, most are quality dive computers and are good for recreational diving, so don't stress too much. Find one that you can navigate around and is easy for you to understand. You want a computer that is easy for you to navigate through, and does both air and nitrox. Simple.

If or when you decided to do more advanced diving (technical diving), you will have greater computer needs such as gas switching and trimix. Until then, keep it simple.

P.S. You don't have to spend $800 on a dive computer! For example: the Suunto Zoop (one of the computers I use) starts at only $300. It is a rugged dive computer, easy to navigate, downloadable, user-changable battery, and can be used for both air and nitrox. I have hundreds of dives on mine and it has never let me down.

Back
Top Bottom