Dive Computer - Need Help Choosing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Craig! I actually was just telling my dad how the wisdom and pro plus looked identical and seemed to have most of the same features.

I appreciate everyone's input soo very much!!! Glad to be a part of a great dive community. :eek:) soo I finally decided to stick with the pro plus 2.1. I opted to not get the quick disconnect but for the price I couldn't beat it and shouldn't have any regrets. Purchased from leisure pro. :eek:)) used a coupon code and got $19 additional off.

MissBubbles205,

For less than $400, the Pro Plus 2.1 with compass is a fantastic deal. This is less than half the cost of a PP 3 or the Wisdom 3. Enjoy diving with your family, get yourselves nitrox certified if you are not already.

Tell your LDS guy he better start reading Scubaboard and change his ways. Otherwise he'll be finding more of his customers leaving.

Better yet, tell the LDS guy you want to order 4 of his top of the line computers and see if he can have them in a week. Then go shop elsewhere.

Is a really good computer and I think one of the best deals out there. Good features and easy to read. Very reliable from the ones I have been around. My dive buddy has one and I like it a lot. My Cobra has been great but the Pp2.1 is easier IMO.

Congrats on a great deal. One thing you will find is there are plenty of good shop owners on this board that will give you good prices and service.

Your LDS guy is a liar. Plain and simple. The Pro Plus is actually a great console computer at a reasonable price for what it it does. It's easy to read and you can get a compass attachment. I prefer wrist mounts myself and before I'd even think about AI I'd save the money and get an SPG on a hose.

he is also full of crap when he says you all need the same computer. You can all dive different comps as long as you use the most conservative one to conduct dives between the buddy pairs, team, or however you choose to pair up. I would start seriously looking for another LDS and start buying on line. This guy does not need to be supported.

Finally if you really want a computer that will do everything you want and more but you'll need an spg on a hose and wrist compass you can't beat Shearwater. Hands down the best support, upgrades, and service. I dive a Predator but you'd be fine with a Petrel.

Tell your LDS guy he better start reading Scubaboard and change his ways. Otherwise he'll be finding more of his customers leaving.

My wife and I both use Pro Plus 2 for recreational diving and love them. We love the air integration, ability to download data to PC and calculate air consumption rates, and best of all it has a large screen so easy to read (I wear glasses). I have tried a number of recreational computers and we think for us this is the one to use. I think your local shop is full of crap and selling you what he has. For tech diving we use a Shearwater Petrel for us both and also use our Pro Plus 2 in gauge mode only as backup. It retains the ability to record all the data though while in gauge mode.

Put a screen protector on it, and use a retractor and its a very comfortable and easy to use PC. We got the quick release as it makes it easy to download data at night time.

Buddha,thank you soo much for the reply. You too Darren. :eek:) I loved the Pro Plus, seems to have all the features I wanted. But I will def check with BeaverDivers also. That's who I bought my Reg from. :eek:). A friend of mine recommended to Suunto also. I saw my LDS didn't have any so I didn't bother to ask as I was certain I'd get the same response as I did on the oceanic. LDS guy also mentioned to algorithms. I know the pro plus had 2 modes but the LdS guy told me all had only 1 and we all needed the same computers and on the same alg's. is that something that is true?

More BS:shakehead:

Get the one you want, you'll likely change it down the road anyway, it's a good computer and will do all you need, and yes Oceanic has a very good reputation for customer service.

---------- Post added June 8th, 2013 at 08:42 PM ----------

Just read your last post, cool, enjoy ya new computer. Safe diving.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you didn't agonize too much over which computer to get. Sometimes I read these threads and think that some people put TOO much thought into their first computer. Sure, some people have specific requirements, but most new divers could probably enjoy any of a multitude of computers just as well. All of the broadly marketed brands are fairly similar in their basic functions. I would definitely put price close to the top of my list of criteria. I have bought computers from Leisure Pro--their customer service is great. Now you have a computer. Yay!

Okay... Went to my local dive shop to get an Oceanic Pro Plus. And the guy at the shop told me they don't sale or work on them because they are lower end gear.

Help!! Lol. All they had in stock was Sherwood Wisdom 3's for around $800 and some type of sub gear console. I don't know what I want or need and the local dive guy didn't seem to be much help. My brother, his fiancé and my dad will be diving with me and this guy said we all had to buy the same type computers. I know I'm still new to all this but I felt like he was treating me like I'm stupid.

I have all my gear except the computer and its all scuba pro. Looking for a good quality product but without spending 1k.

Unless something has changed in the past few months the PP2 and the wisdom 3 are essentially the same computer, both made by pelagic Pressure Systems AKA Oceanic. So by dissing the computer you were asking for he was also putting down the one he sells and looking like a bone head to boot. As for the all having to have the same computer I'll have to try this line on my wife. " Honey I really need a new Shearwater Petrel because all my dive buddies have them." Just a hunch but I don't think it will work.

Hehe. Well thanks for keeping my pinkness in mind. :p.

i think I am really sold on the Pro Plus 2.1. I love all the features and seems to be an awesome deal. And it seems to have great reviews and I've read and heard soo many great things about Oceanics customer service.

Any objections y'all can think of to it? Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1, Air/Nitrox, Air Integrated Computer with Compass

That's an old version. Get the ProPlus 3

Pro Plus 3

The three has dual algorithm and when it comes to computers, newer is better.

My personal take is to wait a little before investing on a computer. I see you only have a few dives so my advise follows my experience at that stage... My opinion is to buy a cheap copmuter or rent for a while This will allow you to decide on console versus wrist (although most often this is the way divers go) and all the other features you want. As you dive you will gain more insight on what you need and also see different style computers. When I was starting a year and a half ago I invested $1200 on a Suunto D6i thinking that this will take care of all my needs. It is compact and has wireless integration. But when I go on deep dives or night diving (like to hunt lobsters), I got to keep a light on it to see anything other than depth. I did not know that there was better until I saw the Liquivision (several models available) which has such a good and bright display that you can use it as a light! Further all the numbers are color coded and easy to separate. It has some very cool features too including buddy air tracking, buddy and boat locator aids, etc. And costs about the same as my Suunto D6i.

This is not an advertisement for Liquivision, or a bashing of my Suunto D6i which is a nice computer but hard to read in half of my diving scenarios. The point I am trying to make is that around 50-60 dives you will know better what you want or need...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom