Dive Computer or Tables - which is safer for a newer diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys, I'm new to the Board and am actually pretty amazed how much I am learning just by reading the forum threads and posts. My reading the forums and realizing there is so much more that I don't know has prompted me to want to be a safer, more conservative diver. In that regard, I would love everyone's input on the necessity of owning a computer (from a safety standpoint).

I understand that the table penalizes you by assuming you were at your deepest depth for the entirety of the dive, but that does not really bother me. I would rather be safer and dive a little less if it gives me better peace of mind. So, in that regard, I feel like diving based on tables only is safer. But, I also understand that a computer will monitor your ascent rate, which is a plus for owning a computer.

I have about 35 dives under my belt and my deepest dive was 65' in Grand Cayman. I don't really have any desire to go deeper than say 75'-80' and prefer shore diving over boat diving.

What does everyone recommend re owning a dive computer and diving safely?

I apologize in advance if this seems like a dumb question, but I am still a pretty new diver and am eager to learn!

Thanks!

The tool doesn't provide the safety, the proper use and application of the tool is where safety comes from.

From a NDL perspective, an SPG, depth gauge and watch will work just fine as long as you plan your dive, dive your plan and use the tools properly. However, as you grow in confidence and ability, you will not want to short-change yourself on dives. That is where a good computer comes in. It can track your multi-level dive profile and give you more time in the water and out of deco.

It's kinda like driving a car with a manual transmission and no A/C. I know how to do that, but I really enjoy the automatic transmission and A/C on a hot summer day.

I recommend diving with tables until you are very familiar with them. You should know the depth and time limits for the typical profiles and repetitive dives that you are likely to be doing off the top of your head. Tables are also more conservative - so if your goal is to be a more conservative diver, there's a +1 there. The benefit of diving tables for a while is that when you finally do get a computer and when it craps out on you in the middle of the dive, you can easily call upon the table data you have in your head to end your dive reasonably rather than having to abort then and there.

I really don't think it's a dumb question at all. As you've stated, you are aware of the assumption inherent in the dive tables. Seems to me that no dive computer is going to be as conservative as the tables, so if you're looking to dive conservatively the tables are your friend.

I think computers are a convenience more than anything. However, I probably wouldn't use the argument that tables are more conservative since most computers can be adjusted to make profiles more conservative. My Suunto has two settings for the RGBM algorithm (one is more conservative) as well as settings for altitude adjustment and personal adjustment. I can probably set up my computer to be so conservative that I would have to do a mandatory safety stop in my bathtub :)

Many may disagree here, but I think a computer is safer for a new diver. Why? New divers may (often do) have issues with buoyancy control, task loading/not paying attention to depth, and so on. It's easy to be deeper than you planned on a nice wall dive in Cozumel, for example...how many of you have done it?

Then you add in a camera and all bets are off :)

It's kinda like driving a car with a manual transmission and no A/C. I know how to do that, but I really enjoy the automatic transmission and A/C on a hot summer day.

Great analogy!

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:31 AM ----------

I really don't think it's a dumb question at all. As you've stated, you are aware of the assumption inherent in the dive tables. Seems to me that no dive computer is going to be as conservative as the tables, so if you're looking to dive conservatively the tables are your friend.

That's sort of what my thinking was when I posted this, but I wasn't sure how the computer's ability to monitor your ascent rate would tilt the scales.

---------- Post Merged at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:31 AM ----------

I recommend diving with tables until you are very familiar with them. You should know the depth and time limits for the typical profiles and repetitive dives that you are likely to be doing off the top of your head.

Wow. That is a great goal to strive for. I'm definitely going to try to pursue this myself.

---------- Post Merged at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:31 AM ----------

I think computers are a convenience more than anything. However, I probably wouldn't use the argument that tables are more conservative since most computers can be adjusted to make profiles more conservative. My Suunto has two settings for the RGBM algorithm (one is more conservative) as well as settings for altitude adjustment and personal adjustment. I can probably set up my computer to be so conservative that I would have to do a mandatory safety stop in my bathtub :)

I knew many computers would allow for the user to set the level of conservativeness, but I didn't know they could be more conservative than the tables. Good to know.

For realatively shallow shore dive there is not much difference in safety of a computer or tables. The biggest risks for new divers are embolizing due to fast ascents or running out of gas. If you want safety focus on those.

A computer or a digital depth gauge and a timer used in conjunction with tables are tools used to create and monitor your dive plan. The conservancy and discipline of planning your dive, diving within the parameters of your plan, and accurately monitoring depth and ascent rate are driven by your decisions, discipline and ability. Bringing appropriate gas, keeping appropriate reserves, buddy contact and communication, buoyancy control, site selection, appropriate equipment and familiarity with that gear, and the ability to remain calm, and problem solve are all more important than whether you use tables or a computer for conservancy.

There are quite a few computers going for less than $200 available that can be set to gauge mode to give current depth and time.
Computers with dual algorithms and conservancy settings can be be used to dive very conservatively as well. Ultimately it is you as a diver who chooses to dive with discipline and to dive safely. Your training, education, practice and experience add together to give you the ability to dive safely with either a computer as your guide or with tables, timer and gauges.

I recommend diving with tables until you are very familiar with them. You should know the depth and time limits for the typical profiles and repetitive dives that you are likely to be doing off the top of your head. Tables are also more conservative - so if your goal is to be a more conservative diver, there's a +1 there. The benefit of diving tables for a while is that when you finally do get a computer and when it craps out on you in the middle of the dive, you can easily call upon the table data you have in your head to end your dive reasonably rather than having to abort then and there.

Do not even think about following this advice. There is no way you should be recalculating your dive plan in the middle of the dive based on something you may or may not have remembered from a dive table. If your computer craps out, and you don't have a backup, abort the dive. You can re-calculate for tables during your surface interval, and then figure out if you can dive on tables for your remaining dives.

---------- Post Merged at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:49 PM ----------

I trust computers, more than I trust my ability to follow a column on a table every time, so, for its ability to eliminate human error, I give +1 to a computer for safety. However, as was stated before, if they are used properly, and without error, both methods will be equally safe and valid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom