Dive Computer or Tables - which is safer for a newer diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't remember where I found this, so use or disregard as you see fit. I found it on the internet while trying to research which computer I wanted to buy. Note that the computers are more conservative for a particular depth than the USN dive tables.

Divetables by computer.jpg

Computers are much more useful for Phase 2 profiles than phase 1, if you get what I mean.

And I don't know how they do it scientifically, but most computers give you some "bars" at the bottom of the display to show how fast you're ascending. Mine is zero for very slow, and five bars for too fast. Presumably this is measuring your rate of ascent using the depth (meaning water pressure) function.

Yes, I know what you mean.

Re the ascent rate monitor, I assume that the computer looks for a change in pressure over a certain period of time. If the pressure changes to quickly, it assumes your ascending too fast. Again, that is my assumption. I was wondering what gets "programmed into it" so to speak as far as what is too fast versus too slow.

Yes, I know what you mean.

Re the ascent rate monitor, I assume that the computer looks for a change in pressure over a certain period of time. If the pressure changes to quickly, it assumes your ascending too fast. Again, that is my assumption. I was wondering what gets "programmed into it" so to speak as far as what is too fast versus too slow.

My Oceanic measures ascent rate over a 4 second period and displays on bar graph base on your rate. The computer has been programmed to allow 60' per minute below 60' and 30' per minute between 60' and the surface. (per documentation)

The ascent rate depends on the model and is usually documented in the manual. Most I've seen seem to recommend 30fsw/min, and will alert you (Or even penalize your repetitive dives) if you exceed that. Mine displays bars showing the relative rate, and the top "Too fast" bar is for faster than that.

My Oceanic measures ascent rate over a 4 second period and displays on bar graph base on your rate. The computer has been programmed to allow 60' per minute below 60' and 30' per minute between 60' and the surface. (per documentation)

Good to know. Thank you for that. What Oceanic? Do you like it?

Computers, but know and understand your dive tables and what they mean also.

I don't remember where I found this, so use or disregard as you see fit. I found it on the internet while trying to research which computer I wanted to buy. Note that the computers are more conservative for a particular depth than the USN dive tables.

View attachment 134641

What do the numbers mean?

Depth and no-deco times

Sent from my ADR6350 using my Fumble Thumbs :D

Depth and no-deco times

That is really interesting. If that chart is right, pretty much every computer is more conservative than PADI's table for recreational depths???

I use the Oceanic ProPlus 2.1. It's a console style, air integrated computer. As a recreational diver, I love it. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom